How do I start doing readings for other people?

Alan Ross

Have you considered checking out the local metaphysical and Wiccan shops in your area? They may be able to advise you on local gatherings where you can meet people who would love to have you read for them. You can find a listing of shops here:

www.witchvox.com

Alan

Hooked on TdM

I had an idea and just went with it. There is a person here that advertises Tarot readings in the papers all the time, so I called her. Turns out she reads playing cards (cartomancy) and not Tarot. She suggested I put up ads or flyers (oh so not ready for that yet) but she also said that she would refer anyone wanting a Tarot reading and not cards to me! :) She was very freindly and helpful. I guess she's been reading pro for around 23 years here and is the only pro in town!

So hopefully I get a few calls! ;)

Hooked

memries

I did that Hooked on TdM.. I put up a flyer in the local Sobey's and got one call. Did a reading but the woman really put me off so decided I am not ready for that ! Part of my problem is that I had nowhere to really read and where I did read was not convenient for further readings. We had to sage the whole place !

I think it would be more to my liking and capabilties if I put a flyer for house parties. You go for the evening with so many women and they are all usually more or less normal people. Just off the street is a bit tricky.

You elevate a bit who you are mixing with. I am not a snob but there are some people who are really strange and to tell the truth they scare me I am not equipped to handle that. Plus I am a woman.

I hope you get some results and really nice people.

stefficus

that is great, TDM! maybe you're not ready to go pro yet, but it gives you a way to gauge interest and find people who were expecting you to talk about tarot. and you could always offer to read for her for a bit of practice.

Hooked on TdM

Yes, I'm so not ready for flyers and adds! OMG, no way. :) But having a few sent my way sounds pretty good to me!

I would have offered for her, but she's very anti-tarot. They creep her out. Works well though because I'm not stepping on her toes! ;)

Hooked

Cerulean

I'm not certain if this is the best option...but I saw here

that you could pay a small membership fee to participate in or gain experience in reading for others free online...I don't quite know if people trust this:

http://www.ata-tarot.com/join.htm#netonly

I think that except for friends and family, I usually only do online readings at the exchanges here. I think you have to have at least 50 posts to be able to do exchanges though...so it might take a few days?

But once you do gain the postings number, I remember that there is
more than one way to help others here...you can do reading exchanges...also help those who ask for helpful comment on their own readings and also participate in creative reading exchanges that mix oracles and tarot...hope things work for you there.

Cerulean

P.S. Have you offered your friends who you send e-mail notes whether they'd like a reading via e-mail? It's not necessary to have someone in person to do effective readings--although I only read for others periodically with their permission and when they have pressing issues or questions.

Hooked on TdM

I'll stick with the reading exchange here! :) I read for free as it is.. LOL

I like the idea of offering email readings to friends.. might have to try that..

However, I want to read for people in real life, as I can get a ton of experience doing readings on here.. its the in person ones that are trickier.. I really need to find a good coffee shop to haunt! ;

Hooked

Hooked on TdM

I missed a few posts, darn it!

I realized I have a little independent coffee shop right up the street from me! I need to gather my courage up and go have a coffee and play with my cards for awhile.

Alan, I did follow your link. Nothing here though. There's nothing on Meet-up either. :( Small city with piles of churches.. *sighs*

Hooked

214red

Hi hooked,
dont let this discourage you, i find that places that are commmercial like starbucks are good for readings (i do my tarot circle there) but not for finding someone to read for.
i think this is because its like the tube/subway people dont go there to chat they go there for their own space.

try somewhere more independent, a little deli, or a cafe because people tend to worry about bothering you in starbucks.

I am also organising a lunch at my house with some other readers, we are bring our friends who are not scared by tarot. we will be reading for each others friends, then feeding them as a thank you!

good luck

Vadella

You could always run out and get a pentacle tattoo on your arm :laugh: just kidding. My experience is people see mine and they immediately ask me. Even though everyone from all religions and walks of life will use cards for all kinds of divination and self-help. But the world is a closed one... Best of luck to you!

xx
Vad