Reviews of tarot decks and books (split from Wow! never had.. slating)

Milfoil

When someone reviews a new work, whether it be a book, work of art, play or whatever there are a few things we naturally assume.

a) the reviewer is writing from a balanced and dispassionate viewpoint
b) they have actually experienced the product they are reviewing
c) they have a background understanding of the subject (in this case the artistic concept) to give credence to their review
d) they are respected in their field and amongst their peers.

Since none of the above are true in this case, the 'review' cannot be taken seriously.

However, it does offer another advertising opportunity for the artist!

All Is One

It took me awhile, in the shower just now to remember what the review thing reminds me of. Pardon me, for the analogy I'm about to make puts the so-called reviewer in question in a much more flattering light than he deserves, still I think the analogy is valid.

In the movie 'Amadeus' the character of Salieri hates Mozart and seeks to sabotage and ruin him in any way he can. Salieri is so overwhelmingly jealous of Mozart that he is consumed by his hatred to the exclusion of all else.

Well, at least Salieri did compose music....
Even Salieri was not just a critic, but a musician who had done his best and simply failed to live up to his own expectations.

Poor Mozart was doing his thing, and barely even aware of Salieri's existence, much less his enormous rancor.

Makes you think.

Umbrae

On the other hand…

In this industry – honest reviews are eschewed.

Other industries embrace honest reviews, movies, books, restaurants…art...

But the New Age industry?

Nope.

EVEN IF I personally dislike the artwork – I cannot share that opinion, my review will not get published.

EVEN IF I find the approach lacking - I cannot share that opinion, my review will not get published.

EVEN IF I find the deck or book or whatever a complete waste… I cannot share that opinion, my review will not get published.

There is artwork that some of us find horrid – but even as a group, we are not allowed to speak honestly…for fear of hurting the poor artist's feelings.

Just because an ‘artist’ created it – does not make it ‘great art’. There have been a few books published in the last few years that were a complete waste of forest land – and nary the honest review.

…and although I may disagree with the ‘reviewer’s opinion’ in this instance – I must defend his right to share his opinion.

...as I must defend the artist's right to produce bad art.

- and if you ask, I'l call it like I see it.

All Is One

Umbrae said:
There is artwork that some of us find horrid – but even as a group, we are not allowed to speak honestly…for fear of hurting the poor artist's feelings.

I have just gotten to this stage. I have stopped saying specifically negative things about decks on here when I learned that many of the people who created the deck are around and paying attention.

I don't have any experience with having written a negative review and having it rejected for publication...but I agree that this is a terrible form of censorship.

Your reviews are in a completely different category of writing, among other things I could say, from the one review we are discussing.

You would never write such a clumsy review as the one we are talking about. If nothing else, you're a better writer.

If the new age thing means we have to love everything, I'm anti-new age. I was leaning that way in any case. I'm also anti-free love. I think polyamory is gross. Shoot me.

But there is real reason to question this guy about why he hates this deck so much. I own some decks that I really think were a waste of time. But I don't want to seek out the artist and tell them they suck.

Some people like the decks that I don't like. If I don't like a deck, it doesn't give me any joy to tear things down unless it is constructive in some way.

I have lots of opinions, and I'm always wiling to share. I think we should probably all be more honest on here, but the review in question was just pathetic.

Not because I disagreed with it, but because it was poorly written and not helpful in any way. :)

Umbrae

All Is One said:
...I think we should probably all be more honest on here, but the review in question was just pathetic.
Not because I disagreed with it, but because it was poorly written and not helpful in any way.

True. But I'd love to see more honesty. an example http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/books/kabbalistic-tarot/ And scroll way down to the second reveiw.

PS: Solandia would not publish it until I backed way off and wrote it as currently printed.

All Is One

Oh, This Is Delicious

Umbrae's Review said:
Dovid Krafchow informs us that “The pictures on the cards are an outgrowth of the first captivity of the people of Israel in Egypt”. And then, during the heyday of the Macedonian Empire (Alexander died 323 BCE) the Jewish peoples invented the game of Tarot, however it dropped from sight after the Maccabee rebellion. Then Tarot resurfaces in 1450.

I highly recommend that you all go and see the way a review should be written. The excerpt above should serve to whet your appetite...

How does Umbrae react to this assertion?

C'mon, kids. Come and learn the right way to review a deck that you do not agree with and say it with style, grace and authority.

{No, I'm not kissing up to Umbrae...he has known what I think of him for 6 years.}

The crowned one

A couple of good posts above mine.

Criticism and negativity are two separate idea's.

I can deal with criticism, I deal with negativity.

I read the "review". In this case it is not a review as the negatives for the deck were not explained ( silly is not a explanation) and it was more of a pounding against the "overly positive" responses of this site to the deck then to the deck itself. This is not a impartial review it is a emotional opinion... he feels to much sunshine is being blown toward this deck and it does not deserve it. That is the thrust of his "review".

He is mocking the deck with sarcasm( negativity) rather then reviewing it intelligent thought.(Criticism).

I do not support the mockery style of review.

kwaw

Umbrae's 'Model' Review

One minor criticism of the 'model' review:

'Of course this is done to round out the courts to equal five aspects of the soul, as opposed to the traditional four (Chiah, Neshamah, Ruach, Nepesh). We are not informed of the ‘fifth aspect’.'

'Let me remind you that in Judaism there are four parts, or aspects of the soul, Chiah, Neshamah, Ruach, and Nepesh.'

The Yechida, that the Ari describes as the essence of the other four, may in many jewish sources be found described as the fifth aspect of the soul.

Any reviewer making accusations of sloppy scholarship should perhaps take extra care to check and clarify their own statements of fact.

http://www.inner.org/jewhome/jewhome5.htm

http://www.kabbalaonline.org/Safedteachings/sfari/Ari_Basics_6_Natural_Soul.asp

http://www.kabbalaonline.org/introductions/firststeps/Levels_of_Soul_Consciousness.asp

http://www.613.org/hasidism/08.htm

http://www.hebrewletters.com/item.cfm?itemid=45147

Sidhe-Ra

Umbrae said:
On the other hand…

In this industry – honest reviews are eschewed.

Other industries embrace honest reviews, movies, books, restaurants…art...

But the New Age industry?

Nope.

EVEN IF I personally dislike the artwork – I cannot share that opinion, my review will not get published.

EVEN IF I find the approach lacking - I cannot share that opinion, my review will not get published.

EVEN IF I find the deck or book or whatever a complete waste… I cannot share that opinion, my review will not get published.

Just because an ‘artist’ created it – does not make it ‘great art’. There have been a few books published in the last few years that were a complete waste of forest land – and nary the honest review.

…and although I may disagree with the ‘reviewer’s opinion’ in this instance – I must defend his right to share his opinion.

...as I must defend the artist's right to produce bad art.

- and if you ask, I'l call it like I see it.

As I said, he certainly is entitled to his opinion. And I'm used to honesty- I used to be in theatre! So I agree with you, Umbrae. I did take the review off the Transparent Tarot facebook page. Well, of course I did! It's supposed to be promoting the deck. It is after all, my first major publication- what's wrong with me wanting to show it in the best light possible and get as much exposure for it as I can?

His point is that I asked him to feature the deck on his page- yes, I was blatantly marketing in a spare few minutes pootling about online and seeing what sites google brought up that were related to Tarot. I should have thought more carefully about who I was approaching. That was a mistake.

I did not ask him, or anyone else to 'review' the deck, though opinions on what has been on show online are welcome. It can't be a proper review unless someone has the product in hand, surely? He took the opportunity to have a go and be as negative as possible.

Well, the deck will be out there soon, and no doubt there will be negative reviews mixed in amongst the positive. In many ways he's done me a favour in showing me the worst possible, (gotta love the 'my friends think you're an idiot' comment- very mature!), for I feel steeled and prepared. And I definitely have seen the funny side through all of this!

The avoidance of negative opinions in the new age world is about sensitivity to the feelings of others and courtesy and respect. I have given a couple of honest opinions, (mostly when I'm disgruntled about another misrepresentation of Faery in Tarot being published, and the occasional cry out against a certain D.V.), but I would hope I've never intentionally offended anyone.

As to 'bad art', that is always a matter of opinion...art is enormously subjective. I have learnt that there will always be someone who doesn't like your work. You just have to treat it like water off a duck's back and move on.

Where he gets the idea I don't know anything about Tarot from, I don't know. I've been reading, studying and collecting Tarot for fourteen years now. It is that experience that I filtered into the simplified images for the T.T.

I don't think that my deck should take over the world, invade poland, or replace the Thoth, (which I love, and use a lot, actually). The traditional decks will still be there! But I do think there's room in the Tarot world for everyone. And unlike JK, I do think Tarot should be for everyone, not for some occult elite who feel that Tarot is far too complicated for the likes of us.

Blessings to all,

Em xx

kwaw

Umbrae's 'model' review:

All Is One said:
I highly recommend that you all go and see the way a review should be written...

And edited (heavily), as Umbrae tells us:

Umbrae said:
PS: Solandia would not publish it until I backed way off and wrote it as currently printed.