tarotschool.com - worth it?

moonmorgan

Well, saddle me up a kangaroo! I'm bound for Nisaba's school of tarot and excessive indulgence!

Seriously, Akirafist, like others far more knowledgeable than me have said, you can learn a heap of stuff on this forum. I know I have, and everyone's so helpful and giving.

I'd seriously think twice before parting with cash for a tarot course when there's so much expertise here, but, of course, that's a matter of choice. Good luck with your studies

KafkasGhost

Just think of how many decks you can purchase with that dough. })

Sulis

Personally I think that $75 is a bit steep considering you can learn everything you need to with a pack of cards and the tarot sections of this forum for free.

gregory

Sulis said:
Personally I think that $75 is a bit steep considering you can learn everything you need to with a pack of cards and the tarot sections of this forum for free.
I wasn't going to be that blunt, as I am so VERY polite :angel: but I agree :D

bluefairy

Sulis said:

i agree with Sulis why pay that much.. it's crazy we have the forum here where people are always learning and growing. freinds are made on a daily basis you can partner up with someone you know and learn together there are also great sign ups for different tarot users.
just a thought.

tarotlaura

That's a lot of money. And I have to agree that you can learn so much around here. I know I have and i am beginning to look at my cards in a whole new way.

weaver

I agree completely with everyone who has sung the praises of this forum. In thinking about it, I realized I initially began my Tarot journey taking a correspondence course. I'd all but forgotten!

When I first became interested in Tarot, there weren't nearly as many resources as there are now. Tarot seemed so complicated! I just didn't know where to begin. If Aeclectic existed, I didn't know about it. To help guide me, in addition to buying a couple of basic Tarot books, I became a member of the American Tarot Association and took correspondence courses with them. In that program I had a mentor and, at least at the time, ATA offered additional avenues of support all of which helped direct my studies. Later, I took some great classes at the Omega Institute with Mary Greer and Rachel Pollack. Then came Aeclectic, a couple of Reader's Studios and, most recently, Dan Pelletier's wonderful audio-book entitled "The Process".

I have no idea what ATA is like now but lacking access to all that Aeclectic currently provides its members, it truly provided me with an invaluable foundation in understanding and forming a relationship with the cards. All of the learning approaches I have participated in have, each in their own way, expanded my Tarot horizons.

In terms of learning Tarot fundamentals, though, I work best with some structure so the ATA correspondence course proved to be a good fit for me. It provided the form and direction I sorely needed. Later on, I really benefited by attending classes in person. Aeclectic has now opened the door to the world wide Tarot community providing a safe place on the internet to connect, learn and grow with kindred spirits.

Even with all the educational opportunities Aeclectic affords its members, I can see that in terms of building a firm foundation in Tarot, a correspondence course may benefit some people. It certainly did me. That said, there ARE lots of online resources currently available to students of Tarot that cost little or nothing. For anyone seriously considering taking a Tarot correspondence course, I would urge you do your homework before committing your time and money. Ideally, access one where you work closely with a mentor and that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. If, as at least used to be the case when taking the ATA courses, there are opportunities to connect with other students as you progress through your lessons, so much the better.

americle

Worth it

Hi -- I haven't posted here for awhile, but since someone mentioned Janet's class, I'll jump in and say that I'm signed up for it, and I'm finding it worth the $75. I've been interested in Tarot for a long time, but I've never delved deeply. For me, a resource junkie, I think I was just overwhelmed by all the resources. I needed a structure and an instructor. I didn't realize this until Janet advertised her class, and I found myself longing to be part of it. I've followed Janet's reviews and Tarot postings for a long while, and I felt she had good insights and experience with the Tarot. I like her take on things. Anyway, I figured $75 for a thorough Tarot class AND coaching in the Tarot for as long as I need it was reasonable. I've been doing it for a month, and I've found it to be well-organized, well-thought-out, and well worth doing. Just my two cents. Cheers, Tamara

ann823

I think that when you've been studying tarot for a long time it's hard to remember what it was like to be starting out. There is no doubt more information here than any course could provide, all you ever need and free. But..at least some of us have a more difficult time sorting through and organizing the vast amount of (often conflicting)information and at some point would benefit from a course. Preferably a course including contact with a real teacher providing feedback and direction. Tamara, I'm glad you are learning a lot in Janet's course-I'm signed up for classroom 2.

Ann