tarotschool.com - worth it?

TessD1891

I joined the Tarot Classroom, but my husband has back problems and went into the hospital for about two weeks, including having surgery. I have had to take a break from the class and I'm very behind, but Janet kindly offered to move me into the Tarot Classroom 3, starting March 1st, to give me more time to catch up. It's great having a teacher who is accommodating like that.

As for the course itself, the first assignment alone gave me a great deal more confidence in myself to be able to read a spread without looking up every card's definition. The following lessons that I have done so far are helping me to create my own meanings in cards, which often correspond to traditional meanings while also creating a more personal relationship with my cards.

I highly recommend the class, and I feel that at $75 (less than $1 per card) and no definite end date in sight, that cost is more than justified.

Michelle

Grizabella

If I had any amount of money---whether $75 or $900----and felt that I MUST spend it on a Tarot education, I'd send it to AT. You can't get a better Tarot education at any cost than you can get here for free. Well---or for a subscription fee, because we do have a section only accessible by subscription, but that's a very small price to pay for all you get here.

Alta

Thanks for the plug Griz! though to be fair, a tarot school course would offer learning in a more structured way. I suggest both. :)

gregory

No school will ever offer the one to one stuff you can get here if you ask for it !

214red

i think its always worth learning in all ways, online, on the phone, face to face

i think its always good to have lessons because you learn from other students too

Grizabella

For me, if I try to structure Tarot too much, then I lose that quality that reading the cards require. To read cards you use the other side of your brain.

On the other hand, I guess you could say that learning in a structured manner could be likened to the operating system of your computer. It's always running in the background to allow you to do all the things you do on the internet. The structured learning you can get from wherever you get it is the "operating system running in the background" that allows you to go on to read your cards without constant thought about the dry facts you may have learned. The facts are there and your mind is using them but without constant conscious thought. (I'm no computer geek, so please humor me if that's really not how things work.)

Anyway, I still say you don't need to shell out money but if you insist on thinking you do, then I'd say Janet Boyer's would be a good course to take if for no other reason than that it's economical and you get a good foundation for your studies. Janet Boyer seems to be a good teacher and very honest, so it would be money well spent. Spending almost a thousand dollars, or even a few hundred, would be crazy in my opinion.

I think if you want a one-on-one mentor, you can probably find one here for free. I know I'd be open to it and I don't think it's against the rules, so if you see someone whose readings and/or knowledge you admire, just ask them. (Provided no mod tells us it's against the rules, that is.) There are a lot of very nice people here and you might find one who has the time and the inclination to help you out.