Collecting VS. Reading

Libra8ca

I TRY not to collect things, for some strange reason I don't like being surrounded by mountains of stuff (especially in my tiny apartment), however I always do end up with a small collection; I just like shopping too much!! <sigh>

I think collecting / buying stuff can get out of hand but a nice collection (not too large!!!; quality over quantity)is something that one can really treasure and that can be wonderful to pass on once you're gone. My grandmother, who passed on a long time ago, loved collecting all sorts of things including coins. Even though I don't care about collecting coins, her small coin collection is such a special thing to have as there are some really neat coins (silver coins from the 1400s, gold coins and Olympic coins). It's nice to remember her when looking at the collection. ;)

SunChariot

Gerbear said:
I have about 450 OOP decks, which would be hard to replace.

I thought you said 450 000 decks. I had to do a double take. ROFL

Babs

Manda

SunChariot said:
I thought you said 450 000 decks. I had to do a double take. ROFL

Babs

450 OOP decks is still quite a feat!

SunChariot

You're right it is, that is an impressive collection!

Babs

greatdane

Wow Gerbear....

450 OOP decks, VERY impressive! I'm just guessing you could pretty much pay for a really nice house if you ever sold all your decks! Of course, it's all in what's important to us. There are things that are just things, a roof over a head, a car to get us from point a to point b, then there are the things we really enjoy.....

Gerbear

greatdane said:
450 OOP decks, VERY impressive! I'm just guessing you could pretty much pay for a really nice house if you ever sold all your decks! Of course, it's all in what's important to us. There are things that are just things, a roof over a head, a car to get us from point a to point b, then there are the things we really enjoy.....

Maybe all of my decks, put together, would buy a nice house, but not here in Southern California

greatdane

I Hear ya, Gerbear!!!

I lived in Studio City and near Century City for awhile. But even though you would never part with your collection, it is kind of like having a big savings account!

GD

yirabeth

Le Fanu said:
A good collection has criteria.

Ut oh...I'm in trouble...

I have no criteria :( Quick! what's a good criteria for a beginner collector?? The only one I can think of that covers ALL my decks is, "I got it because it pleases me..."

Actually I have begun to narrow my buying to "Decks I *may* feel like using in the future" but that's only because I have TOO many I want, and I have to start somewhere. When I get done with those, I'll go to "Decks I'll never read with but they are lovely" and then I'll go to "that's so dang ugly only its mother loves it, but I want to add it to my collection!" Then I'll go with "in between lovely and butt ugly so it needs to be in my collection."

If I *have* to give criteria to my current beginning collection, it would be "These are decks I got from people I love or respect" and "these other decks are interesting decks I got when I first started collecting." I guess the latter isn't a really good criteria.

~Yira

greatdane

Yira....

What I have learned in my very brief time on this site is when people start talking about all the great new decks, cover your eyes and looook away! LOL
Even tho I'm not a "collector", I think it's almost impossible not to have a wee bit of a wish list. I just keep comparing going ok, I like this one MORE than this one, so right now, THIS stays on my wish list. I'm only lusting after a few right now (RIGHT NOW being the operative words).

GD