Mental health and tarot cards

greatdane

Hi ClimbTheseWalls

You're so right. The thread started as should someone who has bipolar be anywhere near tarot cards. I think that was the first sentence. It did take a turn actually discussing bi polar, but I think that was because in order to answer the question of the thread, aspects of bi polar needed to be defined first. I only posted when I saw bi polar and delusions linked as if they ALWAYS go together and know they didn't. Delusions and tarot would obviously add something to the question. If one is asking (the topic of the thread) if people with bi polar should stay away from tarot, partly because they have delusions, I thought it was an important distinction (and on topic) to mention that bi polar doesn't necessarily cause delusions. I'm not suggesting one should or shouldn't read if they have bi polar, I merely wanted to clarify that ONE point re bi polar and delusions.

ClimbTheseWalls

It's an inherently and implicitly emotionally charged line of inquiry...

So maybe the question isn't Should/shouldn't...that's vague and misleading..and we'll all throw up the free rights argument. so consensus is yes, everyone can read anything they please. cool.

Are we asking how communicating your interpretation of tarot cards (or reading) different from communicating a delusion?

Because the issue is that of the reader, correct? not the sitter. . .

gregory

ClimbTheseWalls said:
PS - WHY was bipolar fingered as the hallmark mental illness???
Because it was mentioned by the OP. And at once several people said don't pick on bi-polar.

And my doctors all know I use the cards. Why would I not tell them ? It is a part of me and when I flip, which I mercifully haven't done in a long time, the information could be useful to them. And we have MH professionals in the family - one has her cards read quite often (though not by me; I don't do friends or family !)

As I recall the question initially raised after the OP, and that heated this thread - a question since deleted by the poster - related to someone who had read HER OWN cards and freaked herself out with the idea that the CIA were out to get her. the person who told that story had been afraid for her, and wondered if she should not have been allowed near cards, if they had precipitated the paranoia. By my lights she would have found another way to convince herself of this, and keeping her from her cards would not have made any difference. It wasn't about getting a reading, it was about doing one.

gregory

ClimbTheseWalls said:
It's an inherently and implicitly emotionally charged line of inquiry...

So maybe the question isn't Should/shouldn't...that's vague and misleading..

But how is communicating your interpretation of tarot cards (or reading) different from communicating a delusion to another person?
??

I never thought of reading the cards as potentially delusional. Is that what you are saying ? I though the question here was actually whether reading the cards or getting a reading could in itself CONTRIBUTE to creating a delusion.

I would never - as I just said - take the cards away from someone who wanted to use them; I think that would be most unhelpful, however sick they might be. And as I said - I don't believe that the cards would tip the balance - any more than looking at cracks on the ceiling and seeing Winston Churchill...

ClimbTheseWalls

The crux

vision777 said:
how do you know if this person is a real reader or could be having little psychosis melt downs.?

You don't. You'll believe what you choose to believe. By soliciting a tarot reading you are already adhering to the basic assumption that Tarot has real world validity and that the reader has skill enough to interpret what is going on that you have not been able to decipher on your own (if you knew what X was thinking, why ask? right?).

ClimbTheseWalls

gregory said:
??

I never thought of reading the cards as potentially delusional.

Exactly.

I would never - as I just said - take the cards away from someone who wanted to use them; I think that would be most unhelpful, however sick they might be. And as I said - I don't believe that the cards would tip the balance - any more than looking at cracks on the ceiling and seeing Winston Churchill...

The concern with this is that if someone reads the cards and interprets their demise or that they are hated by everyone or a particular person hates them, and they believe this, even if in reality it doesn't match at all, their firm belief in the cards will lead them to undermine their own sense of reality, their understanding of the world, and in some cases it has led people to extreme behaviour (quitting a job (the cards said i'd be fired), telling someone off (The cards said you secretly hate me), suicide (the cards told me i was doomed)). It's this stuff.

The cards are ambiguous, we know this. It leaves lots of room for our own neuroses (everyday or pathological) to sneak in and cause havoc. For some it's fine, for others it's not. There's potential for harm.

Silver Crow

I've been Bi-Polar since I was very young. I don't see that it in any way affects my reading except that when I'm on the down side, I tend to not want to read. Like Gregory said, it's about ups and downs, not disillusion or psychosis.

I've read for my doctor, and his staff so I don't think he has a problem with it. I'm just shocked by the question! Maybe it would be better to ask if idiots should be touching tarot cards.

gregory

ClimbTheseWalls said:
The concern with this is that if someone reads the cards and interprets their demise or that they are hated by everyone or a particular person hates them, and they believe this, even if in reality it doesn't match at all, their firm belief in the cards will lead them to undermine their own sense of reality, their understanding of the world, and in some cases it has led people to extreme behaviour (quitting a job (the cards said i'd be fired), telling someone off (The cards said you secretly hate me), suicide (the cards told me i was doomed)). It's this stuff.

The cards are ambiguous, we know this. It leaves lots of room for our own neuroses (everyday or pathological) to sneak in and cause havoc. For some it's fine, for others it's not. There's potential for harm.
Yes BUT - if the cards didn't get to do it, something else will. If you are ready to totally freak - something will do it. Once you are delusional, what you are looking for is anything you can use to verify that delusion.

If you don't have the cards - it will be the way that dog looked at you... or the fact that the coffee machine spilled something on you - it was RIGGED to do that because you have to leave this job. You will see people talking about you in the toilets, whatever. I honestly don't think it makes the SLIGHTEST difference in the end, whether you use the cards or not. A delusion is a delusion; what triggers it at any one time is incidental.

moderndayruth

greatdane said:
I feel it's VERY important I address this. I'm sorry, but I think you missed my point.
GD, maybe i should have written that what i posted earlier wasn't a reply to your post, but my thoughts along the same lines. Sorry if it wasn't clear.
I personally understood perfectly your point, once again - sorry if it somehow got lost in the context.

What i wanted to say and this is not addressed at anyone in particular:
there are many people suffering to various extents from various things - there are people who don't 'suffer', yet are mean and unsensitive or straightaway crooks... who is going to decide who won't be aloud to read? I think its up to the sitter to decide ( of course unless we are talking some illegal scam).

And, once again, i do think it would be quite helpful if we knew what inspired the original poster to ask this in the first place - is it worry for the wellbeing of the reader or something else?

greatdane

Got it and good question, ModerndayRuth

I know it's a slippery slope when addressing any type of medical issue when one doesn't know all the particulars or the person and one isn't a medical professional. I would think if one is in doubt, there must be a reason one is questioning someone giving the reading or isn't comfortable.