Mental health and tarot cards

Golden Moon

You shouldn't be sorry eyeDEEclaire, I don't feel you ofended anyone. Your opinion was well intended but needed re-wording.

I remember a few years back when I got my cards read from a friend of mine who is mentally unstable. Well, she was reading my cards she kept saying alot of things that did not make sence. So when I gave my opinion what she was saying to me, she got ofended and started banging on the table and screaming that she knows what she is doing and I have no right to say whats wrong or right. So, I just got up and left.

In some part, Gregory is right, not all mental people are exactly alike. But my advice would be when you get consulted by a mentally ill person who reads tarot, the best thing to do is take it to a grain of salt or avoid arguing with them. And that is that.

Silver Crow

Take it with a grain of salt. LOL This is the most offensive thread I've read on AT. I guess I should wear a sign saying "I'm bi-plolar, don't listen to my reading I have no idea what I'm talking about."

I don't think I'll come back in this thread.

Caedryn

Golden Moon said:
when you get consulted by a mentally ill person who reads tarot, the best thing to do is take it to a grain of salt and avoid arguing with them. And that is that.

imo...that is good advice whether one has a mental health issue or not. If you attend to a reader who has a good accuracy success rate, then what would it matter if the reader has a mental health issue or not.

In my experience, it is often the religions that most often can be a detriment to a person with a mental illness or one that is not under control. Also especially good advice for a MI patient is to watch who you listen to, what you watch, and who you associate with...if they are negative individuals, they can greatly affect you...and I would say that is good advice for the MI patient or a so-called non-mental illness person.

I would bet that the majority of people have some sort of habits, beliefs etc. that would be classified as something in the mental health field...that does not mean they or classically diagnosed MI patient should use or not use tarot/divination.

Caveat...if something adversely affects you...stay away from it, that is until it no longer adversely affects you.

~ C

Golden Moon

Silver Crow said:
Take it with a grain of salt. LOL This is the most offensive thread I've read on AT. I guess I should wear a sign saying "I'm bi-plolar, don't listen to my reading I have no idea what I'm talking about."

I don't think I'll come back in this thread.

No, what I meant by take it as a grain of salt was if you know someone who has a mental illness that causes delusion or hallucinations, such as schizophrenia for example.

But then again, like gregory said, all mentally ill people are different.

My friend who read for me has schizophrenia:(.

gregory

Golden Moon said:
No, what I meant by take it as a grain of salt was if you know someone who has a mental illness that causes delusion or hallucinations, such as schizophrenia for example.

But then again, like gregory said, all mentally ill people are different.

My friend who read for me has schizophrenia:(.
And why would that be a problem IN ITSELF ? If I can go against the grain for me, and generalise - schizophrenics can actually be exceptionally gifted in seeing things.

I take EVERY reading I get with a grain of salt. If it resonates with me - whoever did it - I take it seriously. Many I have had - even here - from people I assume are "normal" in the sense of never having had - or admitted to - any kind of mental illness - have been rubbish in that they have made no sense to me - even ages later - and haven't had anything in them that matched anything I knew or related to. The one that said I am actually a closet lesbian and in denial made me laugh for weeks.... (And I wouldn't mind at all, if I were. But if you knew me... :D)

By the way - you do all realise that over 25% of people on this earth (well, in what they charmingly call the developed world) have had or will have professional help for a mental illness at some time in their life. So AT LEAST (because so many people on this forum have said they have had problems !) a quarter of the people contributing to this thread probably shouldn't be reading for anyone. I certainly had delusional thoughts when I was in the bin. I could have read the cards OK, though.

Muir Aingeal

vision777 said:
I would like to know if a person has so-called bipolar should they be any where near a tarot deck ? and i also like to know what is the differents between psychosis and doing a tarot card reading. could the reader be suffering from psychosis and remeber psychosis means seeing things that are not there. when people read cards then tend to say a lot of things that have nothing to do with the actual card picture or meaning of the card. it's either there making stuff up or they could actual have a mental disorder how do you know if this person is a real reader or could be having little psychosis melt downs.?

Has the OP even posted in here since starting this thread? You write when people read cards they tend to say a lot of things that have nothing to do with the actual card, you then right write that they are either making stuff up or have a mental disorder.....how about option 3 that they could be intuitive or psychic? I've had readings done for me that had nothing to do with the card and the readers were intuitive or psychic and they were right on the money.

Should a reader who is bi-polar be near cards? There are no *shoulds* in life especially in tarot.

gregory

I suspect this thread has developed in ways that have dumbfounded the OP, to be blunt....

ilweran

Golden Moon said:
In some part, Gregory is right, not all mental people are exactly alike.

Not sure if you intended that but it should probably say 'not all people with mental health issues..' or something similar, rather than 'mental people'.

Please don't think I'm being picky, I have to think of how these things are phrased for my job where it can be minefield.

gregory

ilweran said:
Not sure if you intended that but it should probably say 'not all people with mental health issues..' or something similar, rather than 'mental people'.

Please don't think I'm being picky, I have to think of how these things are phrased for my job where it can be minefield.
VERY fair point !

moderndayruth

Golden Moon said:
I remember a few years back when I got my cards read from a friend of mine who is mentally unstable. Well, she was reading my cards she kept saying alot of things that did not make sence. So when I gave my opinion what she was saying to me, she got ofended and started banging on the table and screaming that she knows what she is doing and I have no right to say whats wrong or right.
GM, i wouldn't want someone so unbalanced to read for me- until they are back to their senses, but than also i wouldn't want someone with severe back pain or someone having a high fever to read for me either - that's until they feel better.
Its common sense and indeed TCO and Greg answered the OP question in first couple of posts; Sophie made a great contribution too with adding spiritual dimension to the topic... and i am getting lost what we are talking about, making our friends and members here feel uncomfortable, why?

Its not personal, please don't get me wrong as this is not directed at you at all:
for goodness sake, get your cards red by whomever you want and unless you are concerned about your own minorenne child who is bi-polar and reading Tarot, let it be and let people make their own decisions - for better or for worse.
Please, keep your (generic you) malinformed wiki-copy-pasted knowledge of MI for yourself and let everyone make their respective judgement for themselves.