OK, no more new decks. Really. I mean it.

Glitterbird

This whole guilt trip about buying tarot decks has been discussed and analyzed on numerous other threads in the past. But to be honest I feel it's overblown. Yes, you could conclude that I'm bias, but really what is the big deal. Assuming the average deck is about $20, what would your sacrifice and self dicipline in resisting purchasing another deck actually achieve? The money saved would buy you what exactly? Half a tank of gas, a meal in a so so restaurant, see a movie for two, a new hard cover book, a few beers? All somewhat temporary pleasures compared to a tarot deck which even if you did,nt use it regularly or immediately could still have a lifetime of potential use. Now if your personal financial circumstances are such that $20 is significant and would take away from more important expences, then that's obviously different. But if it represents nothing more than a discretionary and occasional indulgence, I really can't see it's such a big deal.
so next time you're in the bookstore trying to " resist" buying another deck. Don't even try, just splurge without feeling bad and then walk past the restaurant and eat at home instead, spend an evening with your new deck rather than watching a new movie. Guilt Free :)

I'm going to have to agree with you. Look how small they are, they don't take up hardly any room. Stick to the mass produced and they aren't too much. You learn something new with every deck. And they bring such joy. You see, no such thing as too many tarot decks.....})

le_charior

This whole guilt trip about buying tarot decks has been discussed and analyzed on numerous other threads in the past. But to be honest I feel it's overblown. Yes, you could conclude that I'm bias, but really what is the big deal. Assuming the average deck is about $20, what would your sacrifice and self dicipline in resisting purchasing another deck actually achieve? The money saved would buy you what exactly? Half a tank of gas, a meal in a so so restaurant, see a movie for two, a new hard cover book, a few beers? All somewhat temporary pleasures compared to a tarot deck which even if you did,nt use it regularly or immediately could still have a lifetime of potential use. Now if your personal financial circumstances are such that $20 is significant and would take away from more important expences, then that's obviously different. But if it represents nothing more than a discretionary and occasional indulgence, I really can't see it's such a big deal.
so next time you're in the bookstore trying to " resist" buying another deck. Don't even try, just splurge without feeling bad and then walk past the restaurant and eat at home instead, spend an evening with your new deck rather than watching a new movie. Guilt Free :)

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you. It's a given that other people have had this feeling before and that this had been discussed and analyzed before (like nearly everything else), but I think this is not the point. There are new people here and why shouldn't they have the old discussions between them again if that is what is bothering them right now? It might be "overblown" for you, well, then just don't take part in the discussion and let others make the experiences you might have made already, what's the harm?

And, at least for me, luckily, it is not so much about the money. For a lot of people I am sure it is, if you are a student or out of work, you might have to live of 20 Dollar for a few days, I had times where I did. But mostly it is, for me, about the fact that you want to get deeper into the decks you have. This is going to be real work, and it's easy to get distracted by the new shiny things you could buy instead. It's like learning to play an instrument, if you start a new one every month, you'll never be good at any... So the self discipline is necessary (for me at least) to develop my tarot understanding and skills.

So, I'm in for the "no more new decks" club, for now :)

jackdaw*

I'm with le charior here. When $20 for a half-tank of gas means making it to work or not making it in and getting fired, or groceries for the couple of days until payday, then a deck (or a restaurant meal, movie ticket, book or few beers) doesn't even come into the equation, no matter what anyone says.

NikkiB

Unfortunately I am less attracted to £10 decks and more attracted to three figured decks! BAD!

Priestess

I think the person with the deeply vested interest made exactly that point Jackdaw, for people who can't afford because of their circumstances don't, but anyone who may not miss this amount too much then go for it and enjoy!

cirom

Yes, but those cars would probably have cost you even more in gas, insurance and maintenance over those years. And where are they now? Recycled at best in a scrapyard. Can you remember all those restaurant meals. How many times did you see those movies, how many times did you read those books? Whereas all of your decks can be accessed again and again providing a fresh reading again and again even after all these years. And many of those decks are probably worth quite a bit too. Tarot is really quite unique from this context, it combines constantly reusable function along with a collectable art form.
Having said that, any hobbie, pastime, or interest, taken to an extreme that would cause financial difficulty is a problem. But I don't think that's the scenario in most of these "guilt trip" tarot buying posts.

SkadisPhoenix

I agree with CiroM, to be honest. OK, so I've not been able to afford much lately, but he has a point, the money spent on a tarot deck could be spent on petrol, or on a meal in a restaurant. I'd personally rather have a deck, it lasts longer, and I get more enjoyment out of it. I may have only bought one deck recently (had about 4 or 5 given to me though, so WOO!), but I'll get more enjoyment out of it than I will have done going for a meal. Really can't wait for it to arrive! LOL

cirom

I'm with le charior here. When $20 for a half-tank of gas means making it to work or not making it in and getting fired, or groceries for the couple of days until payday, then a deck (or a restaurant meal, movie ticket, book or few beers) doesn't even come into the equation, no matter what someone with a deeply vested interest in getting people to buy more mass-produced Tarot decks says.

I think i was quite clear that if the cost of the deck would be at the expense of more important things then the whole issue is on a completely different level. As for my having a deeply vested interest in people buying more, that's a bit of a cheap shot. Once again I admitted my comments might sound bias, but I was also hoping that like any other member I could participate in a thread by contributing an opinion, without it being interpreted as me trying to be a salesman. I was trying to put the value of a deck into a wider perspective compared to other expenses most of which were " discretionary" expences. My apologies if it sounded otherwise.

jema

Well, buying a deck (and books) is one of the few things I spoil myself with. Right now money is tight though, but what I love about a new deck is first the browsing for one, then the ordering, even the anticipation while waiting for it to arrive, the thrill of unpacking it and the pleasure of looking through each card and then even the satisfaction of putting it on the shelf with the rest of the collection.
Hey I gave up smoking 10 years ago so I deserve it :p

Priestess

I don't think it sounded anything other than you meant it to sound Cirom. I think you made your point succinctly, that if other things are a priority for some folk then they need to deal with the priority and not buy a deck. I also don't think you were trying to sell....Ha..your decks go like hot cakes anyway lol!!!

I haven't got a lot of money, but when I have a little extra I love buying a new deck. It's brings some excitement...the waiting for it to arrive..the arrival..the opening..the beauty of looking through the images...the shuffle..then ahhh the read! Wonderful moment!