Deck of the Week Group sign up thread - Week 13 - 29th October - 5th November 2011

Chiska

I'd give the deck a 7 out of 10, mostly because of the mix of ancient and modern art. That does puzzle me.

That would puzzle me as well. I like variety - but I do have my limits.

I wish I could figure out a rating system w/ numbers. I suppose, I could translate my current rating system to numerical system.

Flaxen

I have enjoyed my time with the Place Vampire Tarot this week. It was quite a recent purchase and I wasn't sure if I would like it or not. Spending the week with it was very valuable - thank you to those who let me read for them. :)

It help to be familiar with the Bram Stoker Dracula story as the deck is based on this. All the references in the major cards are linked to the novel. I found the minors and majors to be quite easy to also use intuitively. For the court cards you do need to know something about the people shown on them.

A very deep deck and one which would be a good study deck.

Chiska

I enjoyed my time with this deck (Bohemian Gothic). It wasn't always easy, but it was good. I have updated my blog with my thoughts about this particular version. At first it started as a comparison between 1st & 2nd editions, but that wasn't fair to the week that I just had with this deck!

I was reminded, once more, just why this deck is at the top of the favorite list.

merissa_88

I still like the Arthurian, even though I have the small version with the white backgrounds. I'm reading better with it and it was fun to combine it with the study course meditations. It's still a deck I prefer to read for myself, although its pretty good in readings with others. The Beasts of Albion definitely helped me to understand the animal imagery better in the tarot, but it's not easy for me to read with. They definitely work well together.

AJ

It help to be familiar with the Bram Stoker Dracula story as the deck is based on this. . For the court cards you do need to know something about the people shown on them.

On the other hand we don't have a backstory on the Rider-Waite courts or most of their clones, in fact based on feedback at AT I think most readers don't like 'real people' in their decks because it seems to limit their use?

And certainly, if we can read with plain pips, courts should be a piece of cake in any deck :)
Right...and I've also got a bridge I can sell you.

I'm using the deck this coming week...

Flaxen

:D

AJ, I really enjoyed using the deck despite my initial worries about the court cards. To be honest, court cards have always been my weak spot. They are wonderfully atmospheric cards though, I'm sure you'll get something out of them.

DaughterOfDanu

I missed the Bohemian Gothic a lot actually. I think I'll use it more often instead of it being just a seasonal deck.

The Enchanted Map was just gorgeous. A definite keeper!!!!!

Cat*

Just did the final reading with the Balbi. Definitely a keeper! Now onwards to choose the next deck.