Tarot and Numerology

Lillium

Hi Lillium :) You absolutely don't need to learn numerological meanings in order to understand or learn to read the Tarot. :)

My curiosity behind starting this thread was if others notice a 'nod of agreement' between 2 or more distinctly different tools of introspection or divination (such as Tarot and Numerology)... it wasn't about merging systems :)

Good luck learning your cards - the Tarot is a wonderful journey! :)

That makes sense! I got a numerology reading from seventhlifepath and I know that numerology wise, my tarot cards are the hermit and the moon, but that's about it.

ravenest

I cant see the point. The 4 of cups is different from the 5 of cups ... why?

Because one is a 4 and the other a 5. There is your 'numerology' (and a very old system as well). Why overlay the numbered cards, which give distinct different meanings within a suit because they are different numbers with meanings that relate to numbers and are assigned by numbers (when that was already the basis of the whole set up in the first place)?

Or do people think the numbers were never part of what made a distinction between members of a suit and card meanings so now they have to add them? Or is it just simplified gematria with English names and adding up the digits that numerate the cards?

Am I missing something here?

frejasphere

Cards, runes, faces, palms, planets, palms, numbers... can all be used to open doors to what we, on a deeper level, already know...

Each method or path has it's own unique approach, system, use and language; and while many doors may lead to the same room, I don't see the point in 'making' one path fit another :)

Richard

I cant see the point. The 4 of cups is different from the 5 of cups ... why?

Because one is a 4 and the other a 5. There is your 'numerology' (and a very old system as well). Why overlay the numbered cards, which give distinct different meanings within a suit because they are different numbers with meanings that relate to numbers and are assigned by numbers (when that was already the basis of the whole set up in the first place)?

Or do people think the numbers were never part of what made a distinction between members of a suit and card meanings so now they have to add them? Or is it just simplified gematria with English names and adding up the digits that numerate the cards?

Am I missing something here?
You are missing the fact than when people have already made up their minds, the truth will fall on deaf ears.

ravenest

Cards, runes, faces, palms, planets, palms, numbers... can all be used to open doors to what we, on a deeper level, already know...

But if we 'already know' on a 'deeper level' why add a shallow level ?

Each method or path has it's own unique approach, system, use and language; and while many doors may lead to the same room, I don't see the point in 'making' one path fit another :)

Thats what I dont understand ... if you dont see the point of trying to fit one path into another (I dont either) ... then why do it. Why mix up modern superfluous numerology with the numerological in depth system of the Tarot?

ravenest

You are missing the fact than when people have already made up their minds, the truth will fall on deaf ears.

But ... but .... but .... I live in hope :)

Also I am year of the goat ...stubborn .

Zephyros

I could actually see the worth of using non-Kabbalistic numerology with Tarot, provided it was a fairly neutral Marseilles-type of deck.

ravenest

What did 'non-Kabbalistic' numerology originate from (no cheating now ... like citing the Greek 'Kabbalah' or something) ?

I may be wholly and totally wrong but if modern 'numerology' did not originate in 'sacred language' ...( one that used letters also as numbers - so letters and words {and concepts} can relate to numbers) or the Tetractys where did it come from?

firecatpickles

What did 'non-Kabbalistic' numerology originate from (no cheating now ... like citing the Greek 'Kabbalah' or something) ?

I may be wholly and totally wrong but if modern 'numerology' did not originate in 'sacred language' ...( one that used letters also as numbers - so letters and words {and concepts} can relate to numbers) or the Tetractys where did it come from?

Tetractys comes from Iamblicus as the most recent source:
http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/local/scisoc/brownbag/brownbag0304/Theology_of_Arithmetic.pdf

ravenest

NOT where did Tetractys come from ...

Where did modern numerology (values and concepts of numbers) come from IF NOT FROM Tetractys or Kabbalah .... that was my question.