Tarot and Numerology

ravenest

That, I believe is where you may be misunderstanding me ;) - I have never suggested any melding/mixing of methods - I am merely acknowledging that different paths may lead to the same advice :)

Oh, I'm sorry ... I must have read these comments (and the thread title) the wrong way ?

I just put a post on my blog ... about the connection ... with different tools of divination and introspection ... about Tarot and Numerology ... I grew up with an eclectic mix of spiritual ideas and practices (Astrology, Meditation, Yoga...) and among everything there was Numerology... The numbers, their meanings, colours and combinations formed an intrinsic part of everyday life in my childhood home ... growing up with these numbers ... Numerology a natural place in my life ...

To this day, Numerology is part of my quiet inner 'aha' voice, always there ...

... Yet, despite being so different, I find it uncanny that the two tend to be in agreement more often than not ... To the point where it makes perfect sense to repeatedly find cards of solitude when I am in a 7 month, or that the Tower often shows when a 9 or 11/2 is influencing events...

Its sounds like numerology is 'embedded' in your 'intuition' ... but if you say that deosnt effect your card reading , well ......

ravenest

There is no melding or mixing of different methods. Tarot already has numerological foundations. Since numerology is already implicit in tarot, there is no reason to consciously plaster it on. It is already there.

:)

Its interesting that my comment 'what makes a 6 of cups different from a 5 of cups ' just drifts off down stream.

Okay I will answer it again myself .... it is the number on the card ! And if there is no association with an idea and that number (basic numerology) then tarot cannot exist folks.

ravenest

I don't know, and I won't quote from some convenient source of forgotten lore that proves everything I say (although given time, I can probably find something!). But, people have always played with numbers in some form, Lewis Carroll was a master at it. Whether all forms of numerology have their root in Kabbalah is doubtful, as there must made been other influences in the mix. Rather, I would argue that it seems that way just because Kabbalah works so well, in an if-it-hadn't-been-invented-someone-would-have-invented-it-anyway kind of fashion.

:laugh: not sure what a 'convenient source of forgotten lore that proves everything I say' is. Does that trump ' if-it-hadn't-been-invented-someone-would-have-invented-it-anyway' ?
It is certainly complex enough to deal with a complicated tool like Tarot. Other forms of numerology may not be up to the task, and in fact do deal with wearing green and lucky numbers.

I suppose that is basically the gist of my posts here.
What I find interesting about Pytagorean numerology is that it is very similar to Kabbalistic thinking, in that one is unity, two is duality, etc. Rough parallels can be drawn. The planets and their sounds were also added to this in some fashion, although I'm not too sure about that in any case.

Just to clarify again; I am suggesting, for us; modern western culture, that most of our concepts of numerology came either from Greek or jewish sources (and later the Arabs who were influenced by similar things the Greeks and Jews were - via Hermetics, or perhaps more correctly the Alexandrian Synthesis ). Sure there were other and older and 'natural sources' but thats like saying, well, men thought about things before there were Greek Philosophers.
In any case, I would be interested to see some reverse-engineering with something like the Waite deck and some other form of numerology tacked on. I know, for example, why the Five of Cups is what it is according to the rules the deck itself runs on, but if another form was added on, would it "work?"

:thumbsup: Exactly! One would need to correlate their 'numerological' meanings and associations with the cards (if, upon deeper examination we find they actually ARE different from the classical 'numerology' already associated with them { :rolleyes: } ) and log a register of readings and tabulate the results ... much as did some astrological researchers.

They might find, as I did as a lad, that when I made my deck of Qabbalah cards - 1 to 10 for the Sephiroth and sets in each world and another set for the paths that I was actually making a tarot deck :laugh: - DOH! <big teenage forehead palm slap>

Zephyros

:laugh: not sure what a 'convenient source of forgotten lore that proves everything I say' is. Does that trump ' if-it-hadn't-been-invented-someone-would-have-invented-it-anyway' ?

I'm sure I can find some mysterious Liber concatenating all known numerology meanings, etc. If a topic exists, you can bet some long-winded occultist wrote a treatise about it. But I get the Twilight Zone feeling from threads like this; everyone is arguing about the merits of non-Kabbalistic numerology, but no one has brought concrete examples. Forgotten lore would be welcome right about now, as I know close to nothing about it.

:thumbsup: Exactly! One would need to correlate their 'numerological' meanings and associations with the cards (if, upon deeper examination we find they actually ARE different from the classical 'numerology' already associated with them { :rolleyes: } ) and log a register of readings and tabulate the results ... much as did some astrological researchers.

Well, I wasn't going that far, but maybe I'm asking the wrong question. We are somewhat used to the numerology being developed on an even keel with the actual card meanings, as a type of equation. But for traditional, folk numerology it may very well be that no "grand" tradition exists, like it does for Kabbalah. Maybe snippets and strands of meaning are all there is, and no card by card parallel? If so, we would again have to see some of this in action.

They might find, as I did as a lad, that when I made my deck of Qabbalah cards - 1 to 10 for the Sephiroth and sets in each world and another set for the paths that I was actually making a tarot deck :laugh: - DOH! <big teenage forehead palm slap>

You did that as a kid??? Wow. That's quite impressive. I got into all this stuff much later.

Richard

:)

Its interesting that my comment 'what makes a 6 of cups different from a 5 of cups ' just drifts off down stream.

Okay I will answer it again myself .... it is the number on the card ! And if there is no association with an idea and that number (basic numerology) then tarot cannot exist folks.
Well, you could take the numbers off. Then all you have are 6 cups on one and 5 cups on the other. What does that have to do with numbers? Oh....wait.... :lightbulb

Attachments

• 5_6.jpg
    5_6.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 121

ravenest

I'm sure I can find some mysterious Liber concatenating all known numerology meanings, etc. If a topic exists, you can bet some long-winded occultist wrote a treatise about it.

Perhaps, but I am not talking about 'Libers' or 'long-winded treatises' I am talking about, on one hand, concepts (and their related teachings) like the Tetractys which, backed up by many other ( ... okay NEO- ) Platonic concepts and processes and 'legal operations' (like logic, dialectic, etc ) - where intelligent debate and demonstration become lines of 'sensible argument' designed to come to an inner truth about the matter in question. On the other hand we have modern new-age numerology; non-mysterious (except to the previous method :laugh:) - ie. all over the internet, sometimes long-winded but often puerile meanings and applications ( just search some modern 'numerological meanings' .... that often show no consensus ).

But I get the Twilight Zone feeling from threads like this; everyone is arguing about the merits of non-Kabbalistic numerology, but no one has brought concrete examples. Forgotten lore would be welcome right about now, as I know close to nothing about it.

That would be difficult ... since it is forgotten :) I am talking about known 'lore'.
Well, I wasn't going that far, but maybe I'm asking the wrong question. We are somewhat used to the numerology being developed on an even keel with the actual card meanings, as a type of equation. But for traditional, folk numerology it may very well be that no "grand" tradition exists, like it does for Kabbalah. Maybe snippets and strands of meaning are all there is, and no card by card parallel? If so, we would again have to see some of this in action.

And I am wondering how it would work? Does one see a numerological difference between a 5 of wands and a 5 of cups? If one doesnt use Numerology and Tarot in association that way but something like; 'Oh yes, these energies in the reading make a lot of sense because we are in the 5th month.'

How does that apply to, make significant or help the reading or the Querent ?

You did that as a kid??? Wow. That's quite impressive. I got into all this stuff much later.

No ... as a an older teenager ... if you're old enough to go to jail or be in the army ... you aint a kid anymore.

Zephyros

Well, from a very short search, I found things that seemed to agree with what we think of as Kabbalistic numerology.

http://www.2012-spiritual-growth-prophecies.com/numerology-meanings.html
http://www.numerology.com/numerology-numbers/1

However, a problem arises pretty quickly, and it's language. It is all very well to reduce your name to a number, and find your "essential personality" thereby, but what if you speak another language? In English my name has five letters, in Hebrew only four. The values of each letter is different. Does that mean I have two essential personalities?

It may very well be that numerology is what is holding me back from achieving transcendental prana.

ravenest

Well, you could take the numbers off. Then all you have are 6 cups on one and 5 cups on the other. What does that have to do with numbers? Oh....wait.... :lightbulb

http://www.tarotforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=70073&d=1400370338

Brilliant ... the patterns and layout show the essential 'value' (symbolically) of the numbers; 5/6 ... the first shows the balanced four of form and the elements with the 5th element 'spirit' embedded in the centre ; active and passive; being spirit that binds all the elements together and links them to interact, yet separates them so they have their won 'spirit' so they maintain integrity and 'matter' doesnt dissolve into 'slush' : the six showing the basic triangular principle and reflection; the ideal world above being reflected in the water triangle below ... the position of stability in the 1 - 10 progression (and a position of stability in the suits of most Tarot cards) .

It might help to leave the numbers off :)