Lets talk - FAVOURITE sorrow card - 3 of Swords.

Tanga

...Erzulie Danto--hmm, I like your answer. It's more in depth than I was thinking! Mostly it's that her veve (sigil, calling card, kind of) is a heart with a sword (or two) through it, so I was just thinking about the visual. But for Erzulie in general (Erzulie is Freda as well as Danto, on they are sisters, depending on who you ask), yes, the pain of love, unrequited or even otherwise, is perfect, actually.

:) <very wide smile> - yes - I know all about Sigils and printed out the veve's I could find some-time ago (I'm Wiccan). I'm looking at Erzulie's now. Hmmm - I see what you mean... I like the version without a sword in it though - also alot more styalized...
Very pretty. I suppose this must be the veve for Erzulie Freda (after google :) ).
Interesting duality. Such "Rhaaah" factor... <twinkling eyes>

Intriguing image...
Thankyou!

I'm immediately reminded of another friend (Lol) - who for many years did not celebrate his birthday because it was on the same week as the death of his father.
When I found this out - I said "What d'ya mean you don't celebrate your birthday? Hmm. Do you think your father would really approve? and - you realise that by doing this, you may in some way be "pinning" his spirit down - because he's likely to be hanging around worrying about you on his death anniversary...".

He now celebrates his birthday.

:)

bonebeach

Yes, without the sword it's the Erzulie Freda veve--which I love! I have it tattooed on my body, which is the dead give away I am no longer a traditional vodouisant, as I was in my childhood. :) (I'm a mixed bag witchcraft person now, though not Wiccan.) I'm glad you know about veves. I didn't mean to talk down to you, but often people don't know so I try to err on the side of saving them a google.

And to keep this on topic, there's the 3 of Swords from the Salvador Dali deck:

https://thetarotnook.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/3ofswords.jpg

The post I took the image from has some interesting info on the art used on the card: http://thetarotnook.com/2013/03/11/tarot-card-of-the-week-3-of-swords/

A lot of people on here dislike this deck, but I just had to have it. It's in the mail. :D

Tanga

Yes, without the sword it's the Erzulie Freda veve--which I love! I have it tattooed on my body, which is the dead give away I am no longer a traditional vodouisant, as I was in my childhood. :) (I'm a mixed bag witchcraft person now, though not Wiccan.) I'm glad you know about veves. I didn't mean to talk down to you, but often people don't know so I try to err on the side of saving them a google

:joke: - I didn't feel "talked down to" :) - your expression was perfect.
AND might I add... Tattoo enabling is forbidden! (Have 2 - both self design. The 1st is a mandala I painted in contemplation of my Deity - so SNAP!. 3rd and final one this Samhain/Halloween).

And to keep this on topic, there's the 3 of Swords from the Salvador Dali deck:

https://thetarotnook.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/3ofswords.jpg

The post I took the image from has some interesting info on the art used on the card: http://thetarotnook.com/2013/03/11/tarot-card-of-the-week-3-of-swords/

A lot of people on here dislike this deck, but I just had to have it. It's in the mail. :D

Darn it! - I'm gonna have to look at that deck closer...
I love this card! What a magnificent twirly-tailed Titan. Makes me think of a favourite painting: "Circe poisoning the Sea" or "Circe Invidiosa" - by JW Waterhouse. Which has Circe standing on the suggestion of a twirly-tailed monster like this. The monster is Scylla - a water nymph - transformed by the poison (deliberately by Circe).

CheapShoes

A lot decks do this card justice. One of my favorites is in the Universal Fantasy - Paolo Martinello. A cold stone mausoleum or church stands in the overgrown dark tangled woods up the hill. Lonely and no one in sight. A slow small creek runs out from this dim dark place. Three swords stuck in the creek gravel and mud with bloody water pouring out from this cold place towards the reader. Dark, dark rivers of the heart...

At least that's what is does for me... :)

Achlys

My favorite is actually the one from the deck I most recently purchased, the Beautiful Creatures tarot. It's adorable while at the same time conveying a message of sorrow and defeat. I love the artwork on it.

ana luisa

I like 3 of Swords that corageously depict the pain of losing, the daze, the feeling of despair. My favorites are of an isolated card and a deck in the making (Urban Tarot):

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    9.2 KB · Views: 91
  • urbantarot3swords.png
    urbantarot3swords.png
    164.4 KB · Views: 98

Tanga

A lot decks do this card justice. One of my favorites is in the Universal Fantasy - Paolo Martinello. Dark, dark rivers of the heart...

Woohoo. :)

I like 3 of Swords that corageously depict the pain of losing, the daze, the feeling of despair. My favorites are of an isolated card and a deck in the making (Urban Tarot):

Sorrow in the bath tub! I like it.

Mi-Shell

My all time favorite 3 of Swords card is from the Paulina Tarot:
I often had to do that - carry a furred or feathered creature, that had met an un-timely end to its final resting place.
I know EXACTLY what that feels like....
I know, I will have to do it again.....

Attachments

• Paulina 3 of swords.jpg
    Paulina 3 of swords.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 86

Zephyros

I don't have a favorite, but there's a quote by a long-vanished member here that I feel really encapsulates the essence of this card:

Scion said:
Gerald Suster has a lovely riff in his book on the Thoth about this card as the Lord of Sorrow: he points out that the 3 of Swords isn't about Suffering as in "waaaahhh I'm sad!" or "Rats I should've known he was cheating" but more an awareness of the price we pay to be alive. It is Suffering in the Mahayana sense: Suffering which always arises from Desire, the same Desire which is the underpinning of all Material Life. It's Suffering on a cosmic scale, global. The pain in Truth... I always see it as a reminder that part of being a conscious mind is accepting the pain that is a manifest part of living, not in a fatalistic sense, but in a gnostic sense. And in context it can be a beautiful positive uplifting card.