Pictures of men reading cards prior to 1960??

Ross G Caldwell

There is one of Cagliostro reading cards, from the early 19th century.

In one of Vitali's books here there is another, titled "Kartenschlaegerin" (the card-reader (female)) in the book, but to me clearly looks like an old man.

I'll have to scan them for you.

Ross

(edited - now that I've scanned the second one, I'm not so sure it's a man)

Ross G Caldwell

cagliostro.jpg

Vitali's caption reads:

"Cagliostro reading the cards from Le Grand Etteilla, ou l'art de tirer les cartes by Julia Orsini (Paris, around 1838).

Ross G Caldwell

kartenschlaegerin.jpg

Caption:

Die kartenschlaegerin hand-painted etching (Adrien Scheich, München, 1812-1894)

Bernice

Ah! The Cagliostro picture is a good one Ross.

I've just spent the last 3/4 Hr. looking online at Old Masterpiece sites = not a sausage.

Is Ross's find enough Mary?

Bee :)

Elven

Hope this might help - there are 2 men in the plate ....
this is 'The Game of Scartino' plate taken from the Book Lords and Ladies of the Italian Lakes. Michalino Da Bedozzo - Palazzo Bonardo, Milan.

Attachments

• italian lakes.jpg
    italian lakes.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 296

Aulruna

Ross - "Die Kartenschlaegerin" means "The Card Reader" in its female version, so that's a woman depicted (albeit not exactly a babe :D )

coredil

There is a picture (lithographie) from Louis Leopold Boilly from 1826 called: "Le tireur de cartes" (it means "The card reader" and tireur is male)
This information is from the book: "Wahrsagekarten" from D. Hoffmann and E. Kroppenstedt, which is the catalog of an exposition from 1972 in Deutsches Spielkarten Museum in Bielefeld.
It seems the picture was coming from a french catalog: "Cinq siècles de cartes à jouer en France" Paris 1963

Unfortunately I could not find the picture on the web