Jane Austen Characters Deck

Tara2007

Yes...someone should definitely use Poe's stories as an inspiration!

I am working on my deck, but don't have any images yet to view. I will, but it won't be until Nov/Dec...which, of course, is not that far away.

Thanks for input.

Tara2007

Also, I would like opinions here...

My Jane version of The Devil....

I am thinking about Henry Crawford (Mansfield Park)...dark, wavy hair, red leather gloves and lurking in a corner...partially in shadow, very imposing, but impossibly handsome...

Also, in the same vein, Maria Bertram...seemingly innocent, dressed all in white, but giving a sideways glance toward a shadowy figure near the door that speaks of a dangerous temptation....

Well, what do you think?

FYI.. these are my own hand drawn images and I will be giving them a unique touch and hoping to add a new dimension to the study of Jane's beloved works.

Thanks for the help! There will be other cards I need advise about as time goes on I am sure!

lark

I find a few devils in Northanger Abby.
John Thorpe for one and possibly General Tilney.
But for a main character as the devil Maria Bertrum certainly did want the eldest brother out of the way so the younger could inherit the fortune..most materialistic of her..and the brother Henry fits in with the sexual image of the card.
Daliance with a married woman ect...

Sophie

the Crawford siblings

Henry Crawford and his sister together would make a fabulous Devil card - or one or other of them. Something very very attractive about them (purposely), so not the obvious ugly devil, but rather, the picture of people who are *themselves* in thrall to the devil of ego...who are dangerously tempting and play with people's hearts.

Sophie

Tara2007 said:
The touhest one for me will probably be my version of The Lovers. Good grief so many there! Of course the most famous would probably be Lizzy and Darcy.
My choice for Lovers would be Anne Elliot and Captain Wentworth. They were separated for 8 long years, and struggled through misunderstandings and this separation to come together in love - as a mature, committed couple. And the ending is as much a cliffhanger as you can find in Jane Austen. Ah, that letter! My god, I would swoon to read such a letter!!! I find that couple much more in tune with the Lovers archetype than the younger Lizzie and Darcy, who would fit the 2 of Cups very well :).

(another Jane fanatic here :D)

Netzach

Tara2007 said:
I am thinking about Henry Crawford (Mansfield Park)...dark, wavy hair, red leather gloves and lurking in a corner...partially in shadow, very imposing, but impossibly handsome...

Never, never!! I love Henry Crawford and I think Fanny was an idiot to turn him down in favour of that namby pamby nincompoop. The only reason Henry behaved so badly in the end was because she'd rejected him.

Now Maria Bertram . . . that's a completely different matter.

Sophie

How about Wickham for Devil? He's pretty convincing - well, he convinced Lizzie for a while ;).He's always after heiresses and he seduces young virgins. I find that one quite appealing, because he starts off as a potential lover - bringing out the link between XV-Devil and VI-Lovers.

Netzach

Yes Wickham gets my vote for Devil. A really nasty piece of work.

And perhaps Mr. Collins as the Hierophant?