Rough draft of first card

Azarial

I decided to go ahead and throw caution to the wind and attempt to make a tarot deck. This deck is not named at the moment. This is a draft of the first card, and I realize that I probably did a terrible job on this. But, I'm looking for input anyway.

I call this card The Sea, also known as Ace of Cups. Our emotions are like the sea which is ever changing, so I thought the sea would be the perfect Ace of Cups. The sea is rough just like our emotions can sometimes be. The sun is rising in this card, not setting, which symbolizes new beginnings. In the distance you can see two birds flying together out of the sun rise which of course symbolizes something new coming out of the newly realized emotions.

-Pamela

Attachments

• thesea.jpg
    thesea.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 179

Sidhe-Ra

The sea is a perfect choice for the ace of cups-interesting, I've noticed that a few people creating decks on this forum have started with the ace of cups, then vanish...I hope you will persist! The sunrise is beautiful, and the birds give a poignant, almost nostalgic feel.

Blessings,

Em x

Azarial

No, I don't plan on vanishing unless I'm really bad of course! Hehe, I have absolutely no confidence doing this stuff, but other people seem to think I can do it. I started with the Ace of Cups because it had always been one of my favorite cards. That and The Lovers.

-Pamela

Sidhe-Ra

Then I look forward to seeing your deck progress. many blessings on your long journey of creation,

Em x

Moonboy

nice start friend

Azarial

It actually looks ok? I'm shocked.

-Pamela

Gayla

It's lovely Pam...are you participating in the two deck projects? If you're not, you should consider..very nice. :)

Moonboy

let me add.....

my advise is to add more then just a shoreline, acyually...maybe throw in a chalice or something?...because honestly, the painting could also pass as a painting sold to summer tourists......it needs alot more to become a tarot card, but you said it was only a draft

cheers

Azarial

my advise is to add more then just a shoreline, acyually...maybe throw in a chalice or something?...because honestly, the painting could also pass as a painting sold to summer tourists......it needs alot more to become a tarot card, but you said it was only a draft

Thank you for the advice. However, what makes a tarot card is in the eye of the artist. It's really all about the vision, and the what the artist see's rather than just a picture filled with symbols. Symbols aren't always needed to convey the message you are trying to get across. The sea is the representation of the water suit, rather than using chalices. Because honestly I can get more meaning from a card if I am staring at for example a picture of the ocean which is the rush of emotions. The rising sun easily points at a beginning which says to me a new beginning in the realm of emotions. I get much more out of that than for example the Rider-Waite deck which is just a picture of a chalice, it's hard to read intuitively staring at just a lone cup.

-Pamela

Moonboy

very true..it is in the eye of the beholder.

But if you are going to make 13 more cards for the cups, you need to rely on more then just water. Is it a tarot deck or a bunch of pretty seascapes? You may know what it means to you, but there is a universal visual aspect I believe you may be ignoring. Maybe change the name of the suit to the sea or something.