Deck of 1000 Spreads—New Spreadcrafting Tool

HOLMES

i just wanted to say..

I just used this long weekend at a pow wow reading for different people..
the first day I used it about 60 percent and it was becoming my favourite..
the next day I used it exclusively instead of offering people the choices of spreads they would pay for the cards , and I would just lay down 3 or 5 or 7 or 10 depending on what was paid.

one thing that I found that surpised me a lot was the blank cards would almost always be followed by a card in that general area (what I mean is when I saw a blank timing card for example the next card I would put over it for more definition would be a timing card,, and so forth).

I am 100 percent glad I brought this deck and it stood up to the test in my view with flying colours.

schmedrake

So Holmes, are you choosing cards at random and mixing the blank cards in? I'm trying to understand how you're using the blanks...and when a blank comes up, how do you work with it? Like if a blank timing card comes up, do you decide then if it will represent the past or future or whatever based on the context of the other cards?

HOLMES

ah yes

thanks for the response schmedrake, and the question

I keep the blank cards in the deck when I shuffle the cards, i will show the process i ended up with..
I would shuffle the deck of a thousand spreads well as i could (sometimes i would even give half to the client to shuffle to get it even more random).
then i would lay down one card first for the soul message..
and i would shuffle the cards again and get them ready to be turned over,, but I don't lay them out like a spread.
i then take the regular tarot cards ,, shuffle them up ,, put the soul message card over the one card i took out for the soul message face down.

then yes i would turn over a card in a straight line and put a regular tarot over it, depending on how many cards were paid for i would have one to two lines of 3 to 5 cards.

at first when i got the blank card i would just read it with the idea it is timing and let it speak for itself aka 8 of cups,, timing so about 8 months or weeks,, so i would suggest the spring. as an example.
towards the end of the second day i found that when i turn over the blank card it wasnt' giving enough so i figured a resolution mixed with a timing card should add even more colour or a influence mixed with timing perhaps.

instead when i turn over the blank card, i would put the next card from the thousand deck of spreads on it and out of three readings,, an actaul timing card (with meaning ) would follow a blank card, and the same for influence.
blank , i put next card over it and it would be the next card of that general category.

once in a while with big spreads aka 10 or 7 i would relate to the cards to the rest while reading, but usually in summary i did a cross gloss over to remind the person what was said.

at first i was like oh it is timing so that helped me relate 8 of pentacles ,, which for me is eight years,, like lawyer school,, when if it was influence i might of looked at it like your parent was a hard worker. to speak in general terms here.

i hope that answers your question ?

schmedrake

I'm not entirely sure I understand. It sounds like, after the first timing card you spoke of, every time you've turned up a blank card, you chose another card at random. And that card was the same color as the blank?

I liked what you said about when a blank timing card comes up that you do the 8 weeks or 8 months thing.

So along those lines, a blank Influence card could signify a general influence...like not a Pro or a Con, but just an influence. A blank character card might speak of someone you don't know yet. A blank topic card would be like a wildcard topic. Essentially, if you don't use the blanks to create a specific card meaning missing from the deck, you could still use them to signify more generic thing and never have to write on them or label them.

HOLMES

I'm not entirely sure I understand. It sounds like, after the first timing card you spoke of, every time you've turned up a blank card, you chose another card at random. And that card was the same color as the blank?

correct ,, it was luck I thought at first but about 3 times in a row (different readings ) I thought that it was more then that.

So along those lines, a blank Influence card could signify a general influence...like not a Pro or a Con, but just an influence. A blank character card might speak of someone you don't know yet. A blank topic card would be like a wildcard topic. Essentially, if you don't use the blanks to create a specific card meaning missing from the deck, you could still use them to signify more generic thing and never have to write on them or label them.

yes,, the way I used it ,, a blank influence card just a general influence in the client life if they didnt' ask a question,,,
a blank character card for me I would see to more of an aspect of the person as opposed to a person we didnt' meet yet.

but yes,, I wouldnt' write on the blank cards, they were already labeled with the title so it was a general position in the spreads like your past, present future spread, for a three card,, it could be
topic, character, timing and influence and those would be actual positions.

of course as you intended a blank card could be wrote upon, or labeled if the person wants.

schmedrake

OK. Cool. Is it OK if I share this on my Deck of 1000 Spreads page and say it's from Holmes? :)

HOLMES

oh sure,,

for me it is just a natural extension of the deck. :) so sure.

Louise J

Love 1000 Spreads

I use this for all my readings, as I offer custom spreads for each querent. I have found it makes the whole process of spreadcrafting quick and easy. Is there a sequel in the works?

nicky

this whole thing is such a waste of money to me - why cant you do this without the 1000 spread deck?

Lee

this whole thing is such a waste of money to me - why cant you do this without the 1000 spread deck?
From earlier in the thread:
I've been reading the book for the last few days, and tonight I tried a few spreads. I really like it! I must admit, seeing the spread positions labeled like that took a little getting used to. But it works great -- in fact it's very freeing, because you can relax the part of your brain that you use to remember spread positions.

I tried the five-card, one-card-from-each-color method. First I simply chose at random from each color, which is a good method if you don't have a specific question. For my next reading, I had a specific question, and I went through each color and picked what seemed to me to be relevant cards, one from each color, and that too worked well.

For the last year or so I've been doing a lot of no-spread readings, looking for relationships between the cards to create lines of meaning. But I like solidly spread-based readings too, and this is a great way to do it without falling back into the rut of the same-old, same-old spreads. I really recommend this deck as a way to make things more varied and interesting.

I like the book because it appeals to different kinds of reading styles, from tradition-bound to completely freeform, with a range of suggestions in between.

Nicely done, Tierney!