Study group World spirit tarot

Maan

LOL :)

can't stop thinking of travolta in leopard skin doing his dance from Pulp Fiction... Just saw the movie yesterday

Rhiannon

I think I can narrow this down to my 2 favorite cards: the 10 of Pentacles and the Devil.

I will make a very short statement about the 10... when I saw this I thought of a whole family sharing a spiritual rite. I thought how wonderful that even the kids get to experience the ritual, they look so happy and joyful!

The Devil is great. I especially love the mixed message the woman seems to be sending. She's pulling away from the man, but her legs are wide open. Makes me think of the "no means yes" theory. }) LOL And the Devil Himself reminds me of Lestat from the Anne Rice books. This devil certainly has a "brat prince" look about him.

I hope we can talk more about this deck!
Rhiannon :)

truthsayer

rhiannon, you've gotten up my curiosity about the devil. can't remember what it looks like. i think the wheel of change wins my vote for the most humorous devil card. it's a young man in a loincloth shaking a tambourine sitting on a goat. in front of him is a bowl w/ a cucumber on top of 2 red tomatoes. whatever you imagine is probably right even if you haven't seen the card!

i like the idea of the 10 of pentacles being a family spiritual ritual. that's far more positive and probably in the same vein as what the authors intended than what my original reaction was.

are there any cards that make you laugh? or feel sad? i'll have to think about this one...

jema

i got this deck yesterday (one of my birthday-decks) it was expensive and at first, when i just saw the pictures on a website i didn't really like it, all those thick black lines. but i kept going back to it and looked some more and after about a month of looking and thinking i put it on the wishlist and pretty soon it was in the top of the most wanted list... so it has a way of sneaking up on you:)

then last night i sat downhere, with deck in hand, wanting to just take out the best cards, but when i came to temperance and had taken out 8 cards i had to give up.
so i stuffed them back again and decided to just take two - one major and one minor - those that spoke the loudest to me:
major - death

i just love that phoenix and wonder why i haven't seen that symbol in other death-cards before. or perhaps i have but they didn't leave an impression on me. the death here sort of reminds me also of the high priestess - perhaps she is the dead woman? her standing stones now turned into round boulders holding in the flames
minor - 6 of swords, it makes me think of those refugees from eastern europe escaping in tiny boats at night, leaving almost everything they have to persue a dream, a hope of a better life - leaving behind war and famine and persecution.

odd cards - the emperor looks like he is flinging something - perhaps one of those oddly shaped clouds.
the chariot - he ain't going anywhere now, is he? just sort of relaxing.

i kind of like that the hermit is coming down from the mountain to share her knowledge and not just endlessly trudging uphill.

that is that for now:)

Rhiannon

One of the things I really like is the repeated use of the Crow. It's one of my totems. :)

other cards I like:
Death: I like how the Grim Reaper in the bottom right bows down in homage to the Phoenix.

10 of Swords: someone else mentioned that they could be pulling the swords out or pushing them in. I like that.

The Universe: I love this card for the positive body image.

7 of Pentacles: I like Cernunnos walking through the fields and communing with the plants.

4 of Wands: always one of my fave cards in a deck. This one uses a may pole instead of a Huppah (sp?)

3 of Cups: these women are so relaxed and happy to be with each other. Reminds me of my monthly Circle. Very positive card.

Strange looking cards:
2 of Pentacles. It's her legs. They make her look deformed. It's just weird.

Justice: this just looks like a child's drawing to me. not sure what it is that doesn't "do it" for me.

One more comment: The wings on the Temperance card remind me of Marvin's Magic Drawing board. I really like the card though. I just thought that was funny.

truthsayer

it's amazing how my perceptions of this deck shift as i try to see it thru the eyes of other ppl. y'all brought up things i hadn't really paid much attention to. i love what both of you said and agree! the creators went to a lot of trouble creating a meaningful deck b/c of the use of symbols. but their symbols work as part the image-just not as symbols. to me the rws has a lot of symbols but they are obviously placed there for a reason not b/c it's a natural part of the picture.

Maan

Rhiannon said:
One of the things I really like is the repeated use of the Crow. It's one of my totems. :)

Ooooh i think i discovered my totem animal too! In the background of the chariot card.. there she sits: The black panther

Or am i just seeing what i want to see?, Neeh

Love this deck

Rhiannon

First spread with this deck

I did my first spread with the World Spirit today, asking "what can I learn from you right now?"

I laid out a CC:

1. General atmosphere - Seer of Pentacles (r)
2. Helps/hurts #1 - 9 Swords
3. Present situation - 6 Swords
4. Past situation - Emperor
5. Future influence - Sibyl of Swords (r)
6. Future influence (also) - 7 Cups (r)
7. How I see myself - Seer of Cups (r)
8. How others see me - 4 Wands
9. Hopes/Fears - 6 Cups
10. Outcome - 7 Pentacles

Just wondering if anyone who has used the deck more had any thoughts?

Thanks for taking the time!

truthsayer

i'm doing a tarot role playing game w/ WS right now. i haven't used it for a reading but i'm studying it. since i've had some unsettling issues w/ the deck i thought it would be interesting to work thru them in the game. by the time we finish, i'll either be completely bonded w/ the deck or be ready to trade it! we've just started so if you are interested you're welcome to join. just pm me.

Sulis

Hi
I`ve only been learning Tarot for about a year and have been desperately searching for a deck that I really click with.
I think I`ve found it; I recently got the World Spirit Tarot and the images just seem so right. I know what people mean now when they say that a deck `speaks` to them. I find that I can read without having to refer back to my memorised meanings so I`m using a mixture of intuition and traditional meanings and I seem to be quite acurate as well ( so far anyway). Would love to get involved in this study group.

Brightest Blessings

Crystalmynx xx