Mary Packard - Tarot de Marseille

Sherryl

I'm going to be a bit curmudgeonly here.

Why, oh why, would you want this deck if you could get Yves Reynaud's facsimile? I heartily endorse everything Le Fanu said about it. It's the most magical and compelling facsimile in my rather extensive collection. I read with it daily.

The deck size was appropriate for the Golden Tarot because that's the size of the original Visconti-Sforza deck. I wonder if this is going to be the default deck size for all their products?

I cringed when I read this quote from the book on Amazon:"This was the first deck created for the purposes of divination." But then the rest of the text contradicts this statement. I wonder what else she muddled in the history section of the book? I had some problems with the history in the Golden Tarot book, so buyer beware.

Why would you want to use someone else's canned, half-baked card meanings, when you could put a little effort into studying the cards yourself? Her card meanings for the Visconti-Sforza deck owed way too much to the Waite Smith tradition. There's no excuse for that. So I'm very skeptical about the quality of her card meanings for this deck.

I'm curious about this product, but I think I'll remain faithful to my facsimile deck.

earthair

Well maybe not all but my pages are bound like this-
0-49...18,19 again...52,53...22,23 again...56,57...26,27 again....60,61....30,31 again etc

Desecrated

I'm going to be a bit curmudgeonly here.

Why, oh why, would you want this deck if you could get Yves Reynaud's facsimile?

Because this is available pretty much everywhere whereas Yves has to be ordered directly from their page. Which for me over here "in the middle of nowhere" has to pay 86 us dollars in shipment and VAT.

Desecrated

Well maybe not all but my pages are bound like this-
0-49...18,19 again...52,53...22,23 again...56,57...26,27 again....60,61....30,31 again etc

That doesn't seem to be the problem with my copy. Send it back, get a new one.

Richard

......Why would you want to use someone else's canned, half-baked card meanings, when you could put a little effort into studying the cards yourself? Her card meanings for the Visconti-Sforza deck owed way too much to the Waite Smith tradition. There's no excuse for that. So I'm very skeptical about the quality of her card meanings for this deck.

I'm curious about this product, but I think I'll remain faithful to my facsimile deck.

There's no excuse for providing any TdM card meanings whatsoever without some indication of their origin and rationale.

earthair

That doesn't seem to be the problem with my copy. Send it back, get a new one.

Thanks :) Didn't want to go to the trouble of returning it if they were all like mine.

As far as the book meanings go, it's always interesting to read someone else's ideas on interpretation. :livelong: I have Yves' Madenie too, but the art on the Packard is significantly different so I'm not even bothering to think which one is better any more. And I wouldn't let anyone else unwrap the parchment :rolleyes:

Emily

I've just checked my book too and everything is there and in the right order. Mine came from the Book Depository too. You must have got a rogue book. :(

I found the meanings interesting - mainly because they are different from what I've been using.

Emily

Because this is available pretty much everywhere whereas Yves has to be ordered directly from their page. Which for me over here "in the middle of nowhere" has to pay 86 us dollars in shipment and VAT.

I got both of my Yves decks, Madenie and Chosson from Amazon - I was surprised to find them on there.

Edited - No they are all gone now - or being sold for extravagant prices. :(

Astraea

I got both of my Yves decks, Madenie and Chosson from Amazon...
So did I. Amazon had them because a supplier obtained many decks, but they're all gone and - according to Yves, per email - his decks will not be available on Amazon again.

I checked Amazon today, and the only Madenie available is from a 3rd-party seller for $500. :bugeyed: