Is this possible ? I'll try and explain the best way i can.

Sharla

Adding: As for the "Base" - to me it is along the lines of Tarot just like the counting system and directions cards are facing except the MAN and WOMAN.

I don't see the need to count or to use a base.

What if the question was about someone's passing and you got Bouquet or Sun as a base. :bugeyed:

If the question was about someones passing and i got Bouquet or Sun as base then i would maybe see Bouquet as the person who has passed away i.e Auntie or female friend or relative.
And if i got Sun well thats a bit hard because it would totally depend on the question.

I did a reading for someone the other day and they were asking about an operation they were having and if it would be going ahead this month. Base card was Key and i asked if they were having Keyhole surgery to which they said yes.

Sharla

Hi Sharla,

Looking over the thread, I think several people did understand you and addressed your question. It's true that this thread, just like almost every other thread on this or any other forum, tends to go off a bit on tangents, as people find things to comment on (as I did in my post above) which don't necessarily directly relate to the thread-starter's post. That's kind of how it goes on forums. :)

Please do continue to ask for other's opinions and input, but keep in mind that a member can't really control the flow of conversation of a thread even when they started the thread. If anyone feels that a thread has gone truly off-topic, feel free to PM me or do a Post Report (click the little white triangle at the lower left of each post) and I'll be glad to look into it. A certain amount of "thread drift" is allowed and expected, as long as it doesn't go too far afield.

Lee, Lenormand Moderator

Yes i do totally understand Lee that threads can go off topic slightly. But seriously no-one has understood what i'm going on about, and i don't know how else i can explain it, ive re-explained myself a few times already.
Im not going to start reporting it, like i said its not anyone's fault its just slightly frustrating when your trying to get your point across but everyone is reading it as something totally different.

MandMaud

PPs Smaller spreads do not mean something is missing in the answer just because of the remaining stack of unused cards.
This is the crux of the matter, isn't it?

i can only blame myself its not no-ones fault its just that nobody has understood me.
There's no question of any blame! :)

Anyway, I did get your point from the outset. :D

And if you assume (accept) that, then I'm thinking:
When we do a spread with *some* of the cards, but still consider the order that the rest are in from the shuffling, we're considering the effect of the shuffle on the whole deck - which is the same as reading a GT in one long line without above/below. Which is what Teheuti said (in post #12) that some readers do.

If I'm wrong and these aren't the same, how are they different?

Adding: As for the "Base" - to me it is along the lines of Tarot just like the counting system and directions cards are facing except the MAN and WOMAN.
I hadn't heard of using the base card in Lenormand but then I put that down to my lack of experience. However, the direction of the cards - some cards - is traditional, isn't it? For example the clouds.

Sharla

When we do a spread with *some* of the cards, but still consider the order that the rest are in from the shuffling, we're considering the effect of the shuffle on the whole deck - which is the same as reading a GT in one long line without above/below. Which is what Teheuti said (in post #12) that some readers do.
I don't understand what you mean by reading in one long line without above/below ? Even though my question wasn't about a Gt, i do believe in a GT every card has its place and every card can be read if wanted even though most people probably don't go to these lengths and just read present line and future as that's all they're interested in knowing.
What do you mean ?

I hadn't heard of using the base card in Lenormand but then I put that down to my lack of experience. However, the direction of the cards - some cards - is traditional, isn't it? For example the clouds.

DownUnderNZer

Clouds too.

In the Gypsy Witch this is the case as well with CLOUDS...seen some do TREE although the direction was a bit of a mystery to me and I think FOX was another.

I was taught MAN and WOMAN mostly with near and distance.

Crux? Correct. :)

MandMaud

I don't understand what you mean by reading in one long line without above/below ?
I was referring to Teheuti's post #12 above:
I know people who simply read the GT as a very long line-reading - no above/below etc.

Even though my question wasn't about a Gt, i do believe in a GT every card has its place and every card can be read if wanted even though most people probably don't go to these lengths and just read present line and future as that's all they're interested in knowing.
Yes. And can you explain how this differs from ... erm ... I'm hitting the same explaining-myself problem that you did! :D How about this:

In a 5-card reading, every card has its place and every card which was included in shuffling can be read if wanted even though most people probably don't go to these lengths and just read present line and future as that's all they're interested in knowing.:)

It differs in shape - whether the cards are in the layout on the table or still held together in the deck - but not otherwise. Am I missing something? :)

Teheuti

I don't understand what you mean by reading in one long line without above/below ?
It simply means reading the cards as a linear sequence from the first to the thirty-sixth card (no matter what they look like in rows and columns).

A 3-card spread would simply be three cards that fall somewhere in that sequence. If you cut the deck and layout from the top, then a 3-card spread would be the same as the first three cards in a GT. If, however, you go through the cards looking for a topic card, reading a couple of cards before and after the topic card, you can easily expand your reading by continuing backwards or forwards from the set you've already examined.

Your "base card" would be the 36th card (last card in the shuffled deck). Personally, I've never heard of using a "base card" in Lenormand, although plenty of Tarot readers use one. As the final card in the 36-card shuffled sequence it makes sense that some people would want to see it.

Originally there was just one spread for Lenormand and everyone learned to read the cards that way. But it's only natural that people would try other cartomancy and tarot spreads. Short line readings make sense as they are a great starting point when learning to read, and they make sense when you want a succinct answer without distracting information.