Those who read ONLINE or IN PERSON - Parameters

greatdane

I don't know about other readers, and I'm addressing Lenormand readers, but really it would apply to any, and setting parameters.

I can only say what I do and why.

I believe in letting someone know upfront what I read, or don't read on, how I read, as it saves time and awkwardness.

Online someone can ignore you, but if you've already posted it, they can't say much if they do.

In person, however, I find it handy to have something brief printed, or I can just tell them, what I read on, what I don't read on, why I read on certain things. I let them know a little about me and how I see my readings.

That way, if someone was ready to ask me a question about something I don't read on, like health, if they were going to ask me if they have a disease or something, they won't because I've already told them what I won't read on.

Do other readers set parameters at all? Are there things you won't read on or do you like to do it querent by querent?

I am comfortable with how I handle things, it works for me, but we all read differently and perhaps all have subjects we do or don't read on.

Any other readers wish to share?

Darkmage

I tell my clients that I'm not their doctor, attorney, or financial advisor. This is for entertainment purposes only and should be taken as such, not professional advice.

It's like the 'Am I pregnant?' question--I tell people they should be getting an OTC test kit from the drugstore instead of dropping cash on me. :/

danieljuk

I've noticed in all divination methods that my Parameters are blurred, they are not absolute! I have done readings which have really pushed them but also if I don't feel comfortable doing a reading, I don't in that form!

I don't do GT's for other people with Lenormand. I do them on myself but don't feel confident with doing them for others at the moment. I mostly use Lenormand in smaller readings anyway,

celticnoodle

Do others readers set parameters at all? Are there things you won't read on or do you like to do it querent by querent?

I am comfortable with how I handle things, it works for me, but we all read differently and perhaps all have subjects we do or don't read on.

Any other readers wish to share?

I set parameters for both online and in person readings. In the state of NY, it is against the law to divine for another person UNLESS you do so as a licensed minister or counselor. Since I am neither, I also make sure that my clients know this is for fun only--other wise I could actually face a hefty fine and jail time. :eek:

(ridiculous, isn't it?)

I've caught some flack from people who feel my rules are ridiculous--but hey, its MY rules and MY time. I feel I can set up the rules as I see fit. They can take it or leave it. Quite a few times I've had to tell customers who tried to argue with my rules to take their business elsewhere. Even other readers whom I talk to have told me my rules are "stupid". Fine. You read for people that I won't then....I'll be happy to send them your way. :)

Set your rules, G.D. don't worry about what customers say about it--whether they are your customers/potential customers or other by standers/readers. Its YOUR time and your READING. You are in charge.

Village Witch

I refuse to do love readings. The last thing I ever want to do is to tell a client their significant other is cheating! I'd have to be the person they were cheating with to verify that one! :-D

I do not do yes or no questions. I help a client figure out how to ask a question that I feel I can answer with the cards.

I do health readings on occasion as I am an intuitive healer trained in multiple energy healing techniques. I make sure my clients know that I am not a doctor nor do I have any medical training.

I do simple basic GT's as an ice breaker for in-person clients that come to me as psychic medium. When I am able to tell a client things about themselves and/or what is going on in their life, it opens doors, puts them at ease, and makes a believer out of them.

RowanTarot

I generally follow the Code of Ethics set by the ATA, which is pretty good set of rules. It protects you and your clients.

I also refuse to read for anyone that's been drinking. I find few things as annoying as a drunk person. I won't read regarding anything that could possibly be illegal. And I won't read for anyone under 18, unless their parent or guardian gives me permission in person.

Barleywine

I will normally read on any subject within the purview of the various focus cards, but I do so with sensitivity and discretion, steering clear of giving any kind of diagnoses or actionable advice that I have no qualifications or credentials to provide. If the "health" card or the "money" card is in bad shape, I would present this as a caution or warning in those areas rather than as a concrete inevitability. Because of the narrowly specific and literal nature of the cards, I find this easier to navigate with Lenormand than with tarot. One thing I don't do is predict death or even its remote possibility (although discussing the potential for accidents or physical trauma is certainly within reason). For example, if a reading veers toward matters of health, I would look at the condition of the Tree and its distance from the personal significator and the Clouds (as well as the High Tower, the Whip and the Coffin), but I would go light on details and lean more toward open-ended possibilities. Generally speaking, all questions related to happiness and well-being would seem to be fair game at some level of interpretation. I see it as a matter of "tuning" my sensibilites to the right wavelength. I do have a written set of parameters that apply to my tarot readings, but I see less reason for that with Lenormand reading.

CosmicBeing

My rules are pretty simple...No mind reading questions (thoughts/feelings) or third person question.

I think it's creepy/weird to ask about a situation between two people and the sitter is neither person.

I also am not into diagnosing someone's mental or physical health. If the cards talk about it I might say...the cards advise to take better care of your health and leave it at that.

I don't do these professionally.

I also state I reserve the right to not read for anyone I am not comfortable reading for.

I like more online reading anyway that face to face. I feel for the sitter they can trust I am not cold-reading them plus I can avoid awkward emotional situations.

Bonny

Hi GD,

I don't think you will hear from many who are relatively flexible on the (idiosyncratic) 'rules' front.

They will walk past this thread without commenting.

The pitch of your thread will likely attract posts from people preferring a mindset of punitive exclusion. You will draw people who reinforce a view that goes under the radar of many who deal in the subtlety and complexity of working with human beings, which is what readings really are isn't it? Just throwing a few cards around to chat about in the mix of it, but it's people exchanging reflections about people's lives , not black and White, not one thing or another, not things at all, but evolving, mysterious and inherently of value, deserving of respect.

Cheers,

Bonny

Padma

Hi GD,

I don't think you will hear from many who are relatively flexible on the (idiosyncratic) 'rules' front.

They will walk past this thread without commenting.

The pitch of your thread will likely attract posts from people preferring a mindset of punitive exclusion. You will draw people who reinforce a view that goes under the radar of many who deal in the subtlety and complexity of working with human beings, which is what readings really are isn't it? Just throwing a few cards around to chat about in the mix of it, but it's people exchanging reflections about people's lives , not black and White, not one thing or another, not things at all, but evolving, mysterious and inherently of value, deserving of respect. And also, I don't think they are disrespecting you if you are refused.

Cheers,

Bonny

I don't think it is "punitive exclusion" (your words) to decide who and what to read on. Many readers have finely drawn bottom lines, and I don't think that makes them "punitive". I guess it is a difference in opinion, but I don't think it is wrong or prejudiced or punitive for a reader to define their perimeters/preferences. If you don't like what a reader is asking for, then go find a different reader. In the end, it is no judgement on either you, or the reader in question :)