Deck newbie looking for advice

bleuivy

Just got this deck about a week ago, and I'm having trouble approaching it. I'm reading the book, which is helping, but any advice you all could give would be greatly appreciated. Just dive into readings, get to know the Faeries first, etc.

How did you begin working with this deck? What advice can you offer a deck newbie? Anything you would suggest not doing? Where this deck is concerned, I am a blank slate waiting to be filled. Go ahead and fill it! :p

PS - I am sure a thread like this already exists, but I couldn't find one in the forum index. I could be blind, however...

SunChariot

bleuivy said:
Just got this deck about a week ago, and I'm having trouble approaching it. I'm reading the book, which is helping, but any advice you all could give would be greatly appreciated. Just dive into readings, get to know the Faeries first, etc.

How did you begin working with this deck? What advice can you offer a deck newbie? Anything you would suggest not doing? Where this deck is concerned, I am a blank slate waiting to be filled. Go ahead and fill it! :p

PS - I am sure a thread like this already exists, but I couldn't find one in the forum index. I could be blind, however...

Well, not that I am a BIG expert, I just got it less than a month ago myself... but here is what I learnt so far. But of course like Tarot or anything else spiritual we are all on our own paths and what works for one person may not for you and vice versa.

I am so new I have not yet done a real reading yet. This weekend I will finish off the last two exercises in the book. Singing and Dancing with the faeires which I am sure will be a blast! And we are going up to the country to do it, first time I am taking them there....

Anyway....I found the book exercises really did help me understand the faeries more. I would definitely recommend them. Other than that, I have found they are very real for me. And you can ask them how they want to be approached and listen carefully and they will tell you. I consider them friends. When you get to know friends, you ask them how they feel, how they want to be treated, and how they see your developing relationship, rather than deciding for them.

Just ask the faeries if you have any doubts about these things. Then look at the card, meditate in it and see what happens. Watch and listen and pay attention to everything. Usually you will get a gut feeling when you are on a right track or a wrong one. Consider that a message from the faeries. Remember: they live partly inside you. If you get any kind of sign, that can be another way to tell. Follow your intuitions in other words.

And btw, that is the message my faeries have been giving me. They do not want me to follow rules and other people's advice to much, but to learn to get to know them as they are for who they really are. They want me to truly communicate with them.

For me, I have found they adore anything fun and playful, but do not like rules and rituals as much. It is the only one of my 12 decks that I do not read sitting upright at my desk, scented candle lit....

I just follow what feels right each time, they like sponataneity, new things and fun! Last time I read them lying on my back in bed, cards held high over my head. This time who knows.

Again my advice is to not overthink it, just do whatever seems the most fun, spontaneos, childlike.... and the moment. :) They want you to have fun with them. It is a deck that is all about having fun, and then ask them how they want you to approach them, then listen and do so.:) And I don't think you should dive into a reading without getting to know them first. They are, and want to be, your friends. It like, you don't ask a friend to solve your life problems within five minutes of meeting them. :) It helps to get to understand each other first and develop a rapport. It has been my experience that the faeries are as real and alive as real people are. They tend to contact me and let me know what they want, even without the deck now. It is way more than a deck of cards.

Hope some of this helps.

stella01904

MM ~ I've said this many times but it's worth repeating, since it works. Ask about things that have already happened. Sit and have a conversation with the deck: (while shuffling) "This is the time I started working at such-and-such" (cut a card and see how it applies). Then, again: (while shuffling) "This is how it was living in the yellow house" (cut another card and read it accordingly). Whatever has happened in your life, pull a card for it. Some of them will be perfect matches and some will be head scratchers but if you think about it you'll get it. You don't even need a table to do this, just fidget till you're fluent. BB, Stella

bleuivy

SunChariot and Stella, thanks for your great advice. I think what I need to do more is have fun with the deck, and play around with it. I know working with any deck is a learning process. Thanks for the great advice. :D

SunChariot

You're very welcome. :)

Just had the greatest time tonight! :-D I just did all the grounding and centering exercises at the end of the book, which was amazingly cool to hear that I have a tail and wings and that I could feel them. The wings seem to be a great source of joy...Well, maybe it sounds strange but try the exercise and see. LOL

Then I did the Singing with the Faeries exercise on P. 25, which was amazing! It was really amazing and not only draws you closer to the faeries, just when you share something intimate with a friend it draws you closer, but it really kind of lets you hear "the song of your heart and soul" at that moment in time. I found the whole thing amazing and really quite deep, as I did not know I was feeling what the song sounded like till I heard it, kindof brings up what you are feeling in your unconcious. Really was fun!

Definitely will try this again many more times. I sense I could go deeper with it and learn more about myself from it, as Arval was still trying to get me to communicate more deeply with him..LOL Maybe by letting go more of inhibitions...:)

Bar

bleuivy

Sounds like great fun! I can't wait to start the excercises in the book. Some books that come with decks I'm not usually too fond of. This book sounds like a real gem, though. Cannot wait! :D

SoulFlower

What I like to do is just shuffle the cards, pick a card, and just look at it. Try to think what the card is saying to you, how you feel about the card, how do the drawings make you feel, to which person or item on the card you can you relate, what do you think it might mean? Write all these things down. After you have done this, you check out the book, you will be surprised how many things you got right!