Tarot Shadow Work- Which deck are you using?

Spiderwoman

Shadow

Hi Peeps
Blushing madly!
Can someone please explain what working with the shadow side means? It sounds intriguing but how do I start, what do I achieve, how can I find out more about it?? So many questions!!
Thank you
Spiderwoman

coyoteblack

Spider woman shadow work seems to be about finding the dark side or shadow self and bringing it to light and acknowledge it. As opposed to letting it hide in the crevices of the Spirit and mind. I am just starting it.

HOLMES

hmm

there are many approach you can go with when picking a deck.

1. the darkest/gothic type you can find.

that should be easiest one would think as the dark images should easily show your shadow..however some of your shadow could be right out there in the open.

2.. the personal one you like. for example for me for the longest time it was the morgon greer,, robin wood before I started collecting other decks.

this one could reveal to you more personal shadows that could be why you like this deck,, and you didn't even know.

3. pick a light heart deck..
this one seems safe,, but I think it would encourage you to look for shadow in the happy image of say the sun,, or the lovers that a person may not realize.

4. if you have a lot of decks,, perhaps do a random selection somehow..

this idea is to let the universe decide for you what deck to work with for there could be some imagery you may not even be thinking off that could help you in the long run.

coyoteblack

Thank you Holmes that is some really good advice.

Tarot Orat

My initial thought was a dark deck, but the only one I really connect with is the Dark Carnival, and that just seems a bit too in-your-face for delving deep inside myself. And I don't see that the deck has to be dark necessarily...."light" decks can give equally in-depth readings.

My thought right now is the Ancestral Path. It was my go-to deck for a long time, and it's always provided me with a lot of insight and wisdom. I'll do a more thorough look at my decks and see if anything else says "choose me!" - someone talked about using a pendulum to narrow it down from three decks, perhaps I'll do that if I wind up with other options.

Eyebright

I've settled on using my lovely vintage 1972 RWS. I want something I can read easily!

merissa_88

Tarot of the Crone is my favorite for shadow work, although Dark Goddess Tarot may soon join her at the top of the list.

Onyx

As I look to get back into the process I am battling with a struggle to which deck to use. I worked through the process with my Liber T and I am very tempted to just go back to it to continue the process. Still I am also looking at the potential of using a different deck to get a different feel for the process. Two I am considering are the Golden Klimt Tarot which has been great the last couple of readings and the Revelations. I am worried that these two decks are not right for the process. The Golden Klimt is a bit too new for me. The Revelations has the tendency to be too inappropriate to personal readings. Since the Liber T is a Thoth descendent I am considering other Thoth type decks.

Tarot Orat

I've settled on the Ancestral Path. The Major Arcana contain some really deep Goddess/God archetypes that I think will be helpful in the journey...I've also just always worked really well with this deck, and I think that's going to be important. It's familiar enough to feel accessible but deep enough that I have a lot of respect for it.

I have some minor quibbles with the creator's interpretation of some of the Majors, I'm a little worried that it may distract me if those cards turn up in the spreads. But on the other hand, that might make me have to try harder to look beyond the image, beyond one person's vision, and really get at the root of the card and what it means to me.

coyoteblack

I've settled on the Ancestral Path. The Major Arcana contain some really deep Goddess/God archetypes that I think will be helpful in the journey...I've also just always worked really well with this deck, and I think that's going to be important. It's familiar enough to feel accessible but deep enough that I have a lot of respect for it.

I have some minor quibbles with the creator's interpretation of some of the Majors, I'm a little worried that it may distract me if those cards turn up in the spreads. But on the other hand, that might make me have to try harder to look beyond the image, beyond one person's vision, and really get at the root of the card and what it means to me.

I only used her definitions to get a start , I still use my own intuition for better meanings.