Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread ~ Part 3

Wendywu

Today was an Ironwing day to the point where I am brain-dead with it. Thankfully I get to go to a concert by a bunch of budding rock musicians tonight (how relaxing.....) which should take my mind to a totally different place. Hopefully I'll get it back again someday. Budding is the key word here.

But the studies go well, the deck is such a coherent one - it makes a great deal of sense. It is interesting that I work with elemental and numerological attributions with it, but there is no qabalistic correspondence intended, nor astrological. Makes for a very different style of deck from the usual GD based ones I have always worked with in the past. I am enjoying the change :)

SolSionnach

Wendywu said:
Chicken Qabala by Lon Milo Duquette - a great first qabalah book.
That's the one I was thinking of. I knew it had something to do with chickens! :bugeyed: However, I seem to have an visceral aversion to QBLH, for that reason studying GD-derived decks (especially Thoth) does nothing for me personally. Though Scion would have you believe that the GW is GD-derived. :rolleyes:
zan_chan said:
Something I've been wondering-- where are all the other IDSers? The list on the first page is pretty long, but I feel like this thread only has about ten regulars these days. Are you out there other IDSers? Hows it all going? Check in and say hi why dontcha?
I think a lot of people are either: 1) not really IDSing any more, or 2) aren't interested in posting on the thread. Then there's me: posting, but barely IDSing. There's a blog post here somewhere... I've got a lot on my mind recently. But I'm going to check into the reading exchange thread today. :)
emmsma said:
Trying to pace myself. Not wanting to burn out.
Now that's an issue! For me, my IDS is not intensive - it's rather a slooooow burn. I get out the Noblet when I think about it, mess around with it for a while, then move on to other "more important" things.

One thing I noticed last night is that while almost all the faces are uncolored (ie: white), there are 3 cards where the face is flesh colored: the Fool, Death, and the Devil. To me this indicates positively that the TdM Fool is not the happy one of most tarot decks out there - rather, he's demented, foolish, insane, etc.... even if his male parts weren't hanging out for all to see.
emmsma said:
Oh, I was gifted a Rolla Nordic Tarot. Its meant to be colored, which frightens me. So I copied it. This way, I can try my hand at coloring this cute little TdM, without fear of destroying my new deck. :)
I agree with Kat - lucky you!. What media are you going to use to color it?
thorhammer said:
I've done nothing with my cards today and tomorrow won't be different. I would love to take them with me, but I'm going deep into the Pilbara region where dirt is not only vividly red, but seeks out clean white surfaces to stain. I'll be damned if it's getting anywhere near William :D I'll shower three times before I handle them upon my return tomorrow night . . . after which I'll be due to go to the inaugural meet-up for our newborn writers' group :) so . . . it's not going to be a productive IDS day. Oh well.
I think the new writers' group sounds rad! I find that with a couple of irons I have in the fire (think WendyWu and Ironwing :eek:) I stay happy and fulfilled. Even if I'm not accomplishing everything I could.

More about me: I've decided that AT is rather a net loss for me. I spend too much time here, and not enough time doing things that actually *benefit* me. I love the camaraderie here, and I have good friends... but I'm going to severely limit my time on here from now on. I don't *need* any more decks, so there's no sense in trolling the "tarot decks" forum or the "trading" forum - and I have notes of a complete system for the TdM that I need to work with more and more. So I'm probably going to limit myself to this thread (!), the IDS reading exchange thread, and possibly the deenabling one. At least until my life becomes more productive!

Llynn

hi everyone, I must confess that I don't post much but I always check in to see how everyone else is getting along.

I've only missed one daily draw and that was because it was an out of the ordinary day all round. I am still enjoying the IDS with the Master Tarot (Montano/Folchi) and am excited that the 40 Minor cards can be used as an Oracle by themselves - or at least I think so. A Tarot and an Oracle in one - can't be bad!

Wendywu

SolSionnach said:
More about me: I've decided that AT is rather a net loss for me. I spend too much time here, and not enough time doing things that actually *benefit* me. I love the camaraderie here, and I have good friends... but I'm going to severely limit my time on here from now on. I don't *need* any more decks, so there's no sense in trolling the "tarot decks" forum or the "trading" forum - and I have notes of a complete system for the TdM that I need to work with more and more. So I'm probably going to limit myself to this thread (!), the IDS reading exchange thread, and possibly the deenabling one. At least until my life becomes more productive!

I can sooo hear the sense in this. The more time I spend just hanging here, the less I spend (a) studying (b) reading (c) living any sort of Real Life....

I want to try to consciously limit my time here - I have too few hours and far too much to cram into them ...

zan_chan

Lynn-- glad to hear your IDS is going so well. Thanks for checking in :) I hope my constant, rambling Haindl posts aren't driving you too batty.

solsionnach-- if you actually mange to keep away from AT, you've got a lot more willpower than me! Very glad your sticking with the IDS thread, though. Your imput has been such a big help to me so far...

Odd occurance today. Did my usual three card this morning and wasn't getting much from it. Put them back in the deck to reshuffle, and found three which somehow managed to be facing the wrong direction-- these three, of course, made a ton of sense today. He's a tricky one, that Hermann.

zan_chan

Wendywu, same to you as I was saying to solsionnach.

It really is true though-- if I spent nearly as much time with Hermann as I do here on AT, I'd have written my own companion book by now.

I really should start limiting myself too. I got the iching, book of changes in the mail yesterday so I can start learning more about hexograms and Hermann's minors, and that thing is a phone book. Definitely not one that's going to read itself...

Cat*

My Greenwood is throwing court cards at me these days. I still have a hard time grasping their meaning much of the time.

I believe it's partly because I never saw many of these animals in real life (except maybe in a zoo), so I don't have a well-rounded 'feel' for them. (Today I thought I'd probably find it easier to relate to animals like Crow, Squirrel, or Magpie, as these are animals that drop by very often right around our house and I have an idea of how they behave in their natural environment.) I also have no previous concept of the spiritual/cultural meaning of many of the Greenwood animals because they didn't feature in any of the stories or fairytales I grew up with (or if they did, they obviously didn't stick out enough to remember).

The animals in it and the deck as a whole feels European but not exactly Europe-where-I-live(d) to me. For some reason, this really makes me feel a little distanced from the deck (to be fair: the DruidCraft Tarot and Druid Animal Oracle give me the same feeling; it's just more intense with the Greenwood). I guess it boils down to what we already discussed earlier on: physical location, the Spirits of that Place, and the spiritual/cultural tradition/system we feel connected to. It may be less the fault of any deck, though, and mirror more of my general feeling of not quite having found the spiritual 'tradition' that works for me and the place I grew up in and the place I live in right now.

Not sure if I'm making sense here but I thought I'd throw it out to see if someone else has any helpful ideas/thoughts to add.

I also still want to get rid of the card titles (at least the keywords). They bother me because they draw so much of my attention to them, being the compulsory text reader that I am... I still haven't given up on the idea of actually trimming the deck. I'd feel weird making a print-out without text as a working copy while the actual deck sat at home unused. I've also thought about other means of taking off/whitening out the card titles, but they all seem to be too destructive to the cardstock (e.g. filing off the text with sandpaper - if that would even work in the first place!) or to add substance/stickiness to the cards (e.g. using something like whiteout, white nail polish, or white opaque sharpie pen to paint over the writing). So none of those seem to be an option. I mean, it's not like I have a $20 deck here that I could easily replace if any of those attempts went wrong. *sigh* I also start to get annoyed by the backs because they aren't 'neutral' in a spread where not all cards have been turned over at once.

But maybe I'm just generally a little off these days...

Maybe my best bet would indeed be to make a print-out working copy without titles and with backs in a solid color or a less busy design so I can see if it makes any difference.

Meh. Can you see I'm going in circles here?

emmsma

Yes, I'm very happy with the Rolla. I'll be coloring my printouts with colored pencil before going at the cards themselves.

I'm very tired this evening so it will be a slow go with any work tonight.
Plan to go through LWB's, but won't get much beyond that.

Might pull out the pencils and see about coloring the Magician.

Faolainn Storm

Cat* said:
Maybe my best bet would indeed be to make a print-out working copy without titles and with backs in a solid color or a less busy design so I can see if it makes any difference.

First to encorage you into making your own version of the deck, here are some scans of mine:
1. The Shaman
2. Two of Wands
3. King of Stones
4. Three cards
5. Backs (The first image shows how I turned the back into an additional card, the second is the plain green back I put on my cards.)

As you can see, the colours are slightly different from the original cards - they came out brighter and in particular the blues are much bluer (if that makes sense, For example.) But all in all it is much nicer to study than the original, though much harder to shuffle (its about the size of the Druidcraft, but much thicker), so for Readings I tend to still use my original.

Cat* said:
My Greenwood is throwing court cards at me these days. I still have a hard time grasping their meaning much of the time.

I believe it's partly because I never saw many of these animals in real life (except maybe in a zoo), so I don't have a well-rounded 'feel' for them. (Today I thought I'd probably find it easier to relate to animals like Crow, Squirrel, or Magpie, as these are animals that drop by very often right around our house and I have an idea of how they behave in their natural environment.) I also have no previous concept of the spiritual/cultural meaning of many of the Greenwood animals because they didn't feature in any of the stories or fairytales I grew up with (or if they did, they obviously didn't stick out enough to remember).

The animals in it and the deck as a whole feels European but not exactly Europe-where-I-live(d) to me. For some reason, this really makes me feel a little distanced from the deck (to be fair: the DruidCraft Tarot and Druid Animal Oracle give me the same feeling; it's just more intense with the Greenwood). I guess it boils down to what we already discussed earlier on: physical location, the Spirits of that Place, and the spiritual/cultural tradition/system we feel connected to. It may be less the fault of any deck, though, and mirror more of my general feeling of not quite having found the spiritual 'tradition' that works for me and the place I grew up in and the place I live in right now.

Not sure if I'm making sense here but I thought I'd throw it out to see if someone else has any helpful ideas/thoughts to add.
(((*sympathetic hug*))) I know exactly what you mean. I have managed to find some connection with all but four of them - Heron, Woodpecker, Kingfisher and Reindeer. And the main reason that these four are so hard, is that no-one has written anything about them. Everytime I look up reindeers as totems/symbols, I get referred to Deer - which is, of course, a different court (I wish they had picked two different animals, rather than two types of the one species.)

Like you I have no knowledge of any of the animals. Sorry, I do know hawks and horses. Oh, and foxes, though the attitudes to them here are not in the least reverential, as they are feral pests that kill the native animals and birds. But the other thirteen animals are completely foreign to me. And when I try to compare them to things I know I end up in more difficulties. I mean why use a snake - to me they are simply highly poisonous reptiles to be avoided at all costs.

It has taken me a few weeks to get some connection with them, and as I said, I am still working on it. I am determined to connect. All I can recommend is reading up about the animals, getting to know where they live and what their habits are and maybe they will, eventually, make sense.

Best wishes for your journey
FS

LotusSong

[I'm sorry that my post is a lot of slightly off-topic tl;dr.]

I want to thank you for your post, Faolainn Storm. You helped me see how blessed I am to be surrounded by types of animals/birds that live and pass through this area (namely herons, woodpeckers, and kingfishers). You know, when you're surrounded by wildlife, sometimes you wind up taking them for granted. You forget not all people live where you do and see the same things everyday that you do. Since they 'always' seem to be around, you sort of forget to look for them.

(Like Yellow-Billed Magpies. They're all over the place! Sometimes I think they outnumber the crows! There are certainly more of them than the Scrub Jays. But I was flipping through an American bird book recently, which showed the range of the Yellow-Billed Magpie to be almost exclusively in California. It made me think.)

Reminds me of one of my favorite memories as a child. My family was driving out into the canyon for a picnic, and my mom stopped the car and pointed out this large bird to me. Sensing that we were looking at it, it flew off. My mother told me that the bird was called a Great Blue Heron, and that its wingspan was larger than I was tall! It blew my mind that a bird could be that big! I've always kept an eye out for herons and egrets since then, and recently I was fortunate enough to get very close to one. (I was walking to class and the sidewalk was right next to a large pond. For some reason I looked up and there was a Great Egret! It took no notice of me as I stared at it; it was busy looking for minnows.)

Your post prompted me to go look at the Greenwood for the first time, and I really like the idea of animals representing the court. I see why the deck is so HTF; it's quite beautiful and has almost a 'magic' feel to it.

I hope you can find some way of connecting to those four one day. </3