If you had to choose only one book on learning the tarot, what would it be?

Talitha

Looks like I made the right choice :)

New member here. :) I actually have "Easiest way to learn Tarot Ever" on order so I'm happy to see that it comes highly recommended here. I do own a few other Tarot books but I'd been looking for 'the one' to really help me build a strong foundation so I can eventually progress to an advanced level in the (hopefully) near future.

ladybird

In view of your stated requirements, I don't think you would be satisfied with a simplified or 'dumbed down' introductory book. Maybe a solid intermediate book like Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom by Rachel Pollack would do. I really don't keep up with what's being published nowadays.

Yes, agree! I've had Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom for years and it's definitely one of the two books I reach for of all the tarot books in my library.

The other book is Tarot for Yourself by Mary K Greer. It's probably more suited towards the beginner but I always go back to this book because of the Epilogue which has a detailed dictionary of meanings. Most of the book is a workbook/text, which may "make it or break it" for you. Not everyone wants to do the workbook thing (and you don't have to) but I found it very helpful when I went deeper into my tarot studies.

laurence

Universal Tarot from De Angelis and Filadoro just because this books clearly outlines a path to unexpected discoveries ans lessons.

THE TAROT BIBLE from Sarah Bartlett. OH I can hear you screaming but It can be a great tool and to me It's full of sense, fantastic for beginners. And yes It has been written by a woman, what can we do about It?

I wish I could find something more directed to ill dignified and reversed cards and combinations cards, numerological and astrological meanings.
I look forward to "Tarot for Healing" coming out in April 2014. I will read It and post a comment.

happyfish

I am going to passionately echo everyone who has already mentioned 'Learning the Tarot' by Joan Bunning. The entire course is available for free online, but I bought the book as well. Many other wonderful books have been mentioned, but this is the best resource I have found for beginners. It keeps things pretty simple and clear, but still insightful. Other Tarot books can be overwhelming and complicated - this one is the best I've found to get the basics down before moving on to more complex ideas.

Other great books have been mentioned like 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card and 78 Degrees of Wisdom. Both of these books are wonderful, but I think to a beginner they'd be overwhelming. I'd definitely start with Learning the Tarot and then move on from there.

LeFou

Spiritual Tarot: Seventy-Eight Paths to Personal Development by Signe E. Echols, Robert Mueller and Sandra Thomson (Jul 1, 1996).

Tarotdivine

21 Ways to read a Tarot Card.

Toxicmage

Pictures From the Heart - A Tarot Dictionary by Sandra Thomson

BSwett

Honestly, I can't think of a better book to start with than Yoav Ben-Dov's "Tarot-The open Reading".
It's mainly aimed at learning to interpret the Marseille tarot (illustrated with Yoav's very own CBD Tarot, a gorgeous recreation of the Conver deck from 1760), but the way it teaches you to open your eyes and connect them to both your intuition and common sense can be applied to any deck, really. Most of the wonderful books mentioned here will hold both of your hands and lead you through a journey of esoteric symbolism, occult history and meanings that need to be memorized; instead, Ben-Dov will point you to a path and give you a small push, suggesting various alternatives and helping the reader understand how to unlock the images.

Others give you pasteurized juice; this book gives you fruit, a juicer, and pure organic honey.

Everything is a sign.

Marie-Bernard

Since you have limited funds, don't waste your money on Pollack's "78 Degrees of Wisdom." Do Joan Bunning's free course online and then get "21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card," by Mary Greer or "Tarot Wisdom," also by Rachel Pollack. Both are much more concise, and useful in the long term, than 78 Degrees.