Thoth Pips

Richard

This is the diagram for the pips using the Thoth card titles.

Attachments

• thothpips_11x8,5.jpg
    thothpips_11x8,5.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 454

ravenest

Dumbarse question

Okay, my turn to ask basic questions: (I know I could go to the astro forum, but I prefer the feedback from here)

I used your chart yesterday to show a point to someone ( an 'astrologer') who is working out some type of seasonal calendar that wants to include decans and tarot cards. She wants the planet that 'rules' each decan to be shown.

Me: "Errrmmm ... I am not sure a planet rules a decan, a planet can be associated with or annote a decan." I explained the 'Chaldean' (as they call it) / G.D. system and the different 'astrological' system but she didn't want to do that .

She wants to make the first decan of a sign to go with the ruling planet, the next decan the exalted and the last the detriment (I suggested the first should be exalted {as it is 'rising' or being 'lifted up'}, and the second ... in the middle position 'up top', sitting on the throne; the ruling and , {after some debate, in which I conceded} the last decan the decline and detriment.

"But it still wont work" I told her, "there aren't enough planets to go, around. "

:confused: look "What do you mean?"

"All the signs have a ruling planet but not all the signs have an exalted planet."

"Yes they do!"

... here we go! So I showed her your chart (because it was the most handy one at the time, as I was also on tarotforum while talking to her)

She looks at it strange and goes "That's not right". I said although someone just made it, they didn't make it up, its pretty standard astrology.

"Why doesn't each sign have an exalted planet?"

"You're asking me and you are the astrologer! I don't know, its something I have pondered but never really got around to checking out."

She went off confused and said she would look it up (she probably wont and her project probably wont get off the ground - speaking from experience }) ).

But now I am curious.

Why doesn't each sign have an exalted planet?

(and if the moderator is reading this - who I believe is currently busy studying astrology - would like to comment, great ... I haven't heard his gnosis for a while )

Grigori

(and if the moderator is reading this - who I believe is currently busy studying astrology - would like to comment, great ... I haven't heard his gnosis for a while )

LOL, I have no idea. I know the formula, but don't think anyone knows the reasoning.

Each sign is ruled by a planet, the same planet is in it's detriment in the sign directly opposite in the zodiac wheel. 12 signs, 7 planets, so some do double duty.

Each planet is exhaled in only one sign (no double duty), and I think technically was actually in one degree of that sign particularly. Then is in it's fall in the sign directly opposite in the zodiac wheel. 12 signs, 7 planets, so there are some spaces.

Maybe planets are allowed multiple portfolios, but only one happy place ;)

firecatpickles

Classical systems do not use the outer planets, as they were discovered before the ancient system was invented. Modern astrologers use Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto as exaltations.

I have heard that although the planets hadn't been discovered yet, there has been theories for years suspecting their existence; some classical astrologers predicted their placements in charts without knowing of their existences yet; and, slowly these outer planets were added to the classical system.

BTW The Vedic (Hindu) system most certainly has planets that rule decans! I have also heard that the system gradually switched from a decan system as more exaltations were added and more celestial bodies were discovered.

Here is a pic I took from Llewellyn George's A-Z Horoscope Delineator, though some view Pluto exalted in Scorpio [also note the use of the Nodes ;)] :

Attachments

• charts benefic malefic.png
    charts benefic malefic.png
    299.7 KB · Views: 212

Richard

What Fire Cat said.

If you include Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, Caput Draconis, and Cauda Draconis, you'll have 12 planets, although the Moon is effectively used three times: as Luna itself, and its ascending and descending nodes (Dragons).

Crowley's Table:

Attachments

• dignities.jpg
    dignities.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 215

Richard

......Maybe planets are allowed multiple portfolios, but only one happy place ;)
Another way to look at it: A planet may be happy in several different places, but, aside from its rulership, there is only one place where it is most happy, and that is where it is exalted.

ravenest

Howdy stranger.

LOL, I have no idea. I know the formula, but don't think anyone knows the reasoning.

Each sign is ruled by a planet, the same planet is in it's detriment in the sign directly opposite in the zodiac wheel. 12 signs, 7 planets, so some do double duty.

Double duty schmubble duty I say! ( :laugh: ... I DO use traditional style at times but ) I like to adjust e.g. Mercury does not rule Virgo - Ceres does ;) )
Each planet is exhaled in only one sign (no double duty),

Aha! I hadn't noticed that.
and I think technically was actually in one degree of that sign particularly. Then is in it's fall in the sign directly opposite in the zodiac wheel. 12 signs, 7 planets, so there are some spaces.

Maybe planets are allowed multiple portfolios, but only one happy place ;)

Fall! That's it, I was trying to think if the 4th type of relation but she was saying there wasn't one ( curious as I went to a series of astro workshops she taught and they were very good ... maybe she is a good astrologer but just a .... duffer).

ravenest

Classical systems do not use the outer planets, as they were discovered before the ancient system was invented. Modern astrologers use Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto as exaltations.

I have heard that although the planets hadn't been discovered yet, there has been theories for years suspecting their existence; some classical astrologers predicted their placements in charts without knowing of their existences yet; and, slowly these outer planets were added to the classical system.

BTW The Vedic (Hindu) system most certainly has planets that rule decans! I have also heard that the system gradually switched from a decan system as more exaltations were added and more celestial bodies were discovered.

Here is a pic I took from Llewellyn George's A-Z Horoscope Delineator, though some view Pluto exalted in Scorpio [also note the use of the Nodes ;)] :

Ooooo ! Thanks! I will staple it to her forehead .... but now I want to know what that next column is just peeking in off the edge.

ravenest

What Fire Cat said.

If you include Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, Caput Draconis, and Cauda Draconis, you'll have 12 planets, although the Moon is effectively used three times: as Luna itself, and its ascending and descending nodes (Dragons).

Crowley's Table:

Thanks ... I have never looked close enough at that , yes nodes ... and degrees ! Hmmmm.