The Spanish Captain Fracasse -- How it may be read

conversus

I have recently acquired a copy of the Vandenborre Deck, often called the Bacchus Tarot, the Flemish Tarot, or the Tarot Flamand; The Popess is replaced by an image of the Commedia dell Arte character the Le' Spagnol Capitano Eracasse

major02.jpg

In the Commedia dell Arte The Spanish Captain represents a jibe at the powers of Occupation. Il Capitano is usually a figure of bravado and self-promotion, but also of very little action. In this he might be seen as an extension of the darker, meaner side of the huckster aspect of the Magician. He cannot be relied upon to step up at the moment of crisis.

Any further or more constructive thoughts?

CED

ETA : to correct the spelling, thanks.

ETA to correct image

Le Fanu

I adore this deck and I adore this card!

I had no idea who this figure actually was, what his role was and how he ended up in this deck. My thoughts on him were based on the image and the image alone, though it is interesting what you say about echoing certain aspects of the Magician, or rather Il Bagato (?) I see my impression of him is more or less in line with what you say...

That image emphasises the swaggering stance. This to me is the key word. He really does swagger and so - with all that this entails - there is an element of lack of trust, of showiness. Aspects which older versions of the "Magician" ( don't really like that title for the older decks!) do emphasise more.

I don't know this title Falmand, may be it is Flamands (Flemish) or Vlamands. Not sure ofthe spelling.

And I don't speak Spanish, only Portuguese, but it might be interesting to see the root of this word Fracasse as Fracasso in Portuguese means, disaster or loser!

ETA; ignore this last part; Ive just looked at the card and isn't it Eracasse and not Fracasse?

BrightEye

Could this also be someone who is a big chicken in his little heart of hearts but who puts up a front of bravado? I had this card come up in a love reading recently. It was followed by the knight and queen of cups. I took this to mean that here's someone who usually is quite a lady's man but who's now too afraid to make a move because emotions are getting in the way. Thoughts?

Melanchollic

Interesting question.

No doubt the choice of subjects to replace La Papessa and Le Pape was rather random in the Vandenborre, and mainly intended to get rid of the Papal imagery. Did these new cards have any particular meaning? By 1780 when this deck was manufactured, several 'paradigm shifts' had occurred in Europe, and the sort of allegorical language found in early tarot, emblem books, and elsewhere had lost its appeal in the age of reason and the great 'enlightenment'. Most likely the manufacturer of the Vandenborre had little interest in preserving a 300 year old didactic allegory, even if they had understood it. The original 'message' of the trumps was probably as cryptic to someone in the 18th century as it is to someone in the 21st century.

The original 15th century tarot allegory for these first six 'ranks of man' cards seems to be a statement about the nature of society - II and III being Church and State (society) with Folly and Deception to the left (Fool and Juggler), being that which harms society, and to the right side the Emperor and Pope represent that which serves society - honor, nobility, honesty, piety, etc. Obviously Le'spagnol Capitano Fracasse and Bacus totally alter the original meaning of this social allegory.

papessaimperatricesm.jpg

Allegory of Church & State

So how would we read this six card sequence as a whole in the Vandenborre, if we felt compelled to imbue the sequence with an allegorical message?

Fool -- Juggler -- Spanish Captain -- Empress --Emperor -- Bacchus

The Captain would seem to stand with the negative, Folly and Deception, and Bacchus would take on a positive light leading the elite Imperial couple. Perhaps something like,

Folly -- Deception -- Vanity -- Charity -- Nobility -- Mirth

This is certainly a more hedonistic view of things than the stoic 15th century ideal, isn't it?

On a more profound level we might say that the Fool is common Folly and as we move up each level of society, we eventually reach a Divine Folly, represented by Bacchus. A rather Taoist approach...

And on yet an even more profound level, we could say the Spanish Captain is Captain Barbossa, and that Bacchus is Jack Sparrow, who always 'trumps' him. ;) :D ~Ti he he...

BrightEye

I like that. I like the notion of the two cards upsetting the social order in an almost carnivalesque style. I wonder why these two would have so much appeal for the age of reason? And is the Spanish Captain really just vain? :( I suspect he is.

KariRoad

Le'Espagnol Capitano Eracasse

vanden2.jpg

BrightEye

I must say I like this guy :)

Melanchollic

BrightEye said:
I wonder why these two would have so much appeal for the age of reason?

Europe was at the height of its colonial era. I'm sure the Captain embodied the romance of it all.

I guess another way to look at the pairing of the Juggler and the Captain is as "the money" and "the muscle". Much of the "colonial" experience was fueled by companies like the Dutch East India Company, and of course the greedy "bankster" types who financed it and exercised a great deal of power from behind the scenes. The Juggler of course is the banker, and the Captain represents those who did the dirty work to make the banks rich. The fact that the Captain trumps the Juggler somewhat weakens the story... but banks rarely flaunt their true power do they? 'T ain't good for business, ya know! ;)

foolMoon

Looks like Page of Swords with formidable authority and power. Impossible to know what he is thinking or planning from his multi coloured / layered costume. Feel like having to watch out for sudden attacks or mischief by this mean looking sword man. He is ready to take out the sword at any time he chooses, to pounce and punish whoever he is not happy with.

kwaw

II • LE'SPAGNOL • CAPITANO FRACASSE

the Spanish • Captain Fracasse

Shows the character of Captain Fracasse, a character from the Commedia dell'Arte.
The name of the Spanish Captain, Fracasse, means:

Fracassé: m. ée: f. Broken, crashed; extreamly crushed; wracked; battered; ruined, made hauocke of.
Randle Cotgrave A Dictionary of the French and English Tongues (1611)

The Spanish Captain is a braggard, who masks his cowardice with his bravado. In regards to the element of deceit, it may be related to the Papesse, which it replaces, in as much as the Papesse may have been identified by some with Pope Joan. The image is thought to be based on The Spaniard by Lasne, 1635:

104.jpg

The text to the engraving says:

"Un Espagnol se tient debout dans un paysage de montagnes désolées ; il a la main droite, en un geste précieux, sur la garde de son épée, dont le fourreau abîmé semble montrer qu'il ne l'utilise guère. Il porte un cure-dents sur l'oreille. Son costume sombre est beaucoup plus sobre que celui dont Bosse l'affuble."

Which I roughly translate as:
"A Spaniard stands upright in a landscape of desolate mountains; his right hand, in a precious gesture, is on the guard of his sword, the damaged sleeve of which seems to show that he hardly uses it. He carries toothpicks on his ear. His dark costume is much more sober than the puffed up ruffles with which they are worn." [Not quite sure about the meaning of "que celui dont Bosse l'affuble" and my translation there may be completely wrong - anyone who knows better please feel free to correct.]

There is also the six line poem:

De bien loin au de la des mons,
Ie viens pour vois ses rodomons.
Qui vantent par tout leur courage.
Mais croyant qu'ilz n'ont pas le cœur,
De me voir sans mourir de peur,
Ie me fais voir dans ceste jmage.

"From very far across the mountains,
I come to see their bragging.
Who boast of their courage everywhere.
While believing that they don't have the heart
To see me without dying of fear,
As I appear in this image".
(Trans. Ross Caldwell)

There is also possibly some socio-political polemics or recent historical reference ['recent' to the period in which the pattern appears] going on with the choice of this card. The connection being possibly the War of the Spanish Succession, in which the Spanish Netherlands [which incorporates the region in which the Belgian Tarot appears] becomes the Austrian Netherlands.

The War of Spanish Succession also resulted of course in the Austrian takeover of the former French dominions in Italy:

"In the opening shots of that war, Eugene defeated French armies in northern Italy. As the area of French offensive action moved north, and as the war spread to include other nations such as England, Eugene joined forces for the first time with his English counterpart, the Duke of Marlborough. Together they defeated the French in Bavaria at the Battle of Blenheim (1704). For the next three years he was engaged in fighting in northern Italy and Provence, were he suffered defeats in Cassano, but finally he defeated French armies in the decisive battle of Turin (1706), after which Louis XIV had to withdraw all French forces from Italy. Eugene attacked French Toulon on 1707, but siege was unsuccessful.

Eugene then moved north to Flanders, where he joined up with Marlborough to win the battles of Oudenarde and Malplaquet. Unfortunately, the follow-up invasion of France that would have ended the war was blunted by the marginal victory of Malplaquet, and the retirement of Britain from the war. After one more year of fighting, Austria signed a favourable peace with France, in 1714.

One of the new Austrian possessions after the War of the Spanish Succesion was the former Spanish, now Austrian Netherlands. Eugene was made governor of this area, then later became vicar of the Austrian lands in Italy."

Quote from article on Prince Eugene of Savoy in:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Eugene_of_Savoy

V • BACUS
Bacchus: the god of wine shown sitting on a cask, drinking from a flask.

Bacchus spelt 'bacus' or 'bacvs', was also a word that also meant a dicing table:

quote:
"The Ginny hen floure is called of Dodonas, Flos Meleagris: of Lobelius, Lilio-narcissus variegata, for that it hath the floure of a Frittio Lilly, and the root of Narcissus: it hath Checquered Daffodill beene called Fritillaria, of the table or boord upon which men play at Chesse, which square checkers the floure doth very much resemble; some thinking that it was named Fritillus: whereof there is no certainty; for Martial seemeth to call Fritillus, bacus, or the Tables whereon men play at Dice, in the fifth booke of his Epigrams, writing to Galla.

The sad Boy now his nuts cast by,
Is call'd to Schoole by Masters cry:
And the drunke Dicer now betray'd
By flattering Tables as he play'd,
Is from his secret tipling house drawne out,
Although the Officer he much besought,

In English we may call it Turky-hen or Ginny-hen Floure, and also Checquered Daffodill, and Fritillarie, according to the Latine." end quote from:
Thomas Johnson, The Herbal or General History of Plants(1633)

As in the TdB the replacement of the Pope by a wanton pagan god is possibly polemical satire.

According to Andy Pollet:

"The other new subject, Bacchus, was probably inspired by the illustrations found on German-suited cards; still today in some of the German regional patterns used in the south of the country, the ace or daus of Acorns is decorated with a young Bacchus riding a cask. To fill the gap left by the Pope, the Franco-Belgian tarot may have picked a popular subject from an already existing pattern."

Bacchus also appears on the 2 of Cups in the Chaffard TdM [1740's] ; in terms of the relationship to the 2 of cups there is the Labyinth by Andrea Ghisi, 1616 [see Kaplan Vol II p.305] which shows bacchus astride a barrel squeezing grape juice into 2 cups.

As political satire the connection is probably to the Spanish Succession and the independence of the low countries, to Philip V of Spain and Pope Clement XI. We have a connection between Clement XI , the Low Countries and 'bacvs' too through his banning of the bacchic revels of the Netherlanders artists society the Bentvueghels in Rome in 1720:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentvueghels
XIIII • LA TEMPERENCE
Temperance

Temperance holds a jug in one hand pouring liquid into a jug on the ground... She has a banner that reads Fama Sol...

"Van Mander berated artists not just for excessive drinking, but for general dissolute conduct, noting unbridled, riotous and “gek” (crazy) behavior and bemoaning how poorly it reflected upon the profession giving it a “bad reputation.”

Van Mander was also concerned about artists squandering their money on so many sensual delights. He frequently equated artistic fame with wealth, and bemoaned what he saw as artist’s potential for fame pour out of their pockets and into a wineglass."

DISSOLUTE SELF-PORTRAITS IN SEVENTEENTH-CENTURY DUTCH AND FLEMISH ART by Ingrid A. Cartwright, Ph.D., 2007 p.146
kwaw said:
...We have a connection between Clement XI and 'bacvs' too through his banning of the bacchic revels of the Netherlanders artists society the Bentvueghels in Rome in 1720:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentvueghels

"Their group affiliation (Schildersbent translates as “painter’s clique”) was based largely on the rites and rituals they held, including elaborate initiation ceremonies and feasts that all featured elements of Bacchic worship, but moreover, bacchanalian excess...

"... A drawing (Anonymous, Museum van Boijmans-Van Beuningen, Rotterdam) and painting (by Domenicus van Wijnen, known today in a ca. 1690 engraving by M. Pool) after a Bentveughel initiation ceremony shows a group of men surrounding a plump figure of Bacchus straddling a barrel and supplying everyone with wine."

DISSOLUTE SELF-PORTRAITS IN SEVENTEENTH-CENTURY DUTCH AND FLEMISH ART by Ingrid A. Cartwright, Ph.D., 2007 p.140

The Bentveughels celebrated drunkenness, revelry, sex and dissolution as a means to 'divine frenzy', madness as a route of inspiration. The elevation of the Fool to the highest trump in this deck could be seen as an expression of that.