Quantum Tarot: A new deck by the 78th Fool and Leo62

whipsilk

I've said it earlier, and I'll say it again. Although I sprang for Adam's wonderful printing of the Majors (and it's a beauty), I really want the full deck, with book please. You can put me on that list as someone who'd buy a full deck although I already own (and love) the Majors.

In email exchanges, I've taken Adam to task for the heavy lamination of a couple of his decks, and noted that I strongly prefer his matte decks, only to feel that these particular images cry out for that high gloss kind of finish -- the matte tends to flatten the wonderful depth of the cards. So I hope, when it is published in full (and it will be), the cards are a little glossier than with Adam's Majors.

Good luck!

Adam McLean

whipsilk said:
In email exchanges, I've taken Adam to task for the heavy lamination of a couple of his decks, and noted that I strongly prefer his matte decks, only to feel that these particular images cry out for that high gloss kind of finish -- the matte tends to flatten the wonderful depth of the cards.

I am an artist-centred publisher and always offer alternatives to
the artists as regards the colours, size and lamination. Ultimately
it is the choice of the artist as to what sort of laminate is used.
I try to fit in with what the artist requires as far as is techically
and financially possible.

Leo62

whipsilk said:
In email exchanges, I've taken Adam to task for the heavy lamination of a couple of his decks, and noted that I strongly prefer his matte decks, only to feel that these particular images cry out for that high gloss kind of finish -- the matte tends to flatten the wonderful depth of the cards. So I hope, when it is published in full (and it will be), the cards are a little glossier than with Adam's Majors.

Glad you like the deck whipsilk. Have you remembered email for your free copy of the book (as a pdf)?

Adam offered us a completely free choice of glossy or matte laminate and sent us samples of both. While the glossy finish did give the images brilliance and shine, we both loved the matte laminate for its richness and depth of colour. We also thought that the matte finish would make the cards easier to handle and shuffle, and less prone to scratching. It's swings and roundabouts - and we chose the roundabout!

huredriel

If you're doing a list for the full deck, put me on it!

Netzach

Personally I love the matt finish. It has that sort of velvety quality that one associates with the night sky and so, I feel, is very appropriate. I don't think it would have looked as good with a glossy finish.

VGimlet

So, I caved in and ordered it. :D

Also put me on whatever list there is, if there is a list, for the full deck.

The 78th Fool

Adam McLean said:
I am an artist-centred publisher and always offer alternatives to
the artists as regards the colours, size and lamination. Ultimately
it is the choice of the artist as to what sort of laminate is used.
I try to fit in with what the artist requires as far as is techically
and financially possible.

Kay's already spoken about this but I thought I'd chip in from the artist's perspective too. What Adam says here is 100% accurate. If you buy one of his decks, you can guarantee that what you get reflects the creators intentions to a degree you'd never get with a commercial publisher. I personally have never dealt with anyone so 'artist centred'.

I think I can speak for Kay as well but the greatest enjoyment for me in this whole process was the very fact of having our publisher strive to create something how WE wanted it to look. The matt laminates are a good example of this. Both Kay and I insisted on these and laminating large areas of black in matt is really problematic. Nevertheless, Adam went to great pains to get it right (despite a considerable number of reject print sheets along the way) and even I was taken aback when I saw the final results.

Personally I've wallowed in the whole process because I know full well that if we get a commercial deal it will be the other way round and we'll end up compromising for the publisher.

What Adam has printed is the Quantum Tarot as it should be. However, we've already had to design an alternate set of borders in a different shape and size for the purpose of submitting to the big guys. This is not neccessarily how we'd like to see the deck printed but it's a good example of how deck creators have to adapt their artwork to the standard requirements of the commercial mainstream.

On a lighter note!
Many of you will remember the three 'optional extra' majors that I designed for fun, as a lighthearted surprise for Kay when we first finished the deck. Well, I designed another to celebrate the publication of this issue. It's dedicated to Adam and it's aptly entitled 'Alchemy' as it's an alternate Temperance card. I've attached it below, along with the images of the other three. Needless to say, Adam's personal copy is one of the few that includes these.

Chris. xx

Attachments

• Quantum_Majors_Unpublished.jpg
    Quantum_Majors_Unpublished.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 118

The 78th Fool

Just a quick update to thank everyone who's asked to be added to the Quantum Tarot mailing list. Sorry I haven't had a chance to email you all personally but I have indeed added you all to the list.

To keep you up to date, Kay and I have submitted a full proposal to Llewellyn this week. Fingers crossed ! One thing I do know is that as a company they are very organised and efficient. If they don't feel they can print your deck they let you know within 2 to 3 weeks so at least we won't have a long wait to find out.

Someone mentioned the letter campaign to get Kat Black's Golden Tarot published a little while back on this thread and asked about doing something similar for the Quantum Tarot. All I can say is, go for it !! If people feel so strongly about seeing the full 78 card deck in print then we're both thrilled. All we can do is let you know whenever we're approaching a given publisher, as we are at the moment and then leave it to whoever feels inclined to write to approach the publisher/publishers concerned.

Chris. xx