The Green Sheaf

roppo

Sorry this is an off-topic but I have to report this :D

I could trace the source of the info of "The Bookplate Booklet". The Gallatin source they quote is this --

-- Gleeson White, in the essay I have already referred to, also speaks of book-plates designed by Beardsley forAleister Crowley and Gerald Kelly, adding that they have not been reproduced— probably using this word as meaning published. A short time ago I came into possession of these plates, and find they are reproductions of the portrait of Madame Rejane drawn by Beardsley in 1893, and reproduced on page 78 of "The Early Work of Aubrey Beardsley'' (1899) and of the drawing representing Flosshilde (1896). To these drawings have been added, with a pen, "Ex Libris Aleister Crowley'' and "Ex Libris Gerald Kelly".--
Gallatin, A.E. 'Aubrey Beardsley as a Designer of Book-Plates', (London : Elkin Matthews, 1902), p10-11.

And the Gleeson White source Gallatin quotes is this --

--Aubrey Beardsley designed a few book plates ; how many is not quite clear, for certain so-called ex libris, surreptitiously offered for sale, look like " fakes,'' that is, like drawings made into bookplates by the addition of a printed name, and not really designed for that purpose. One taken from a Morte d'Arthur border, and another from a Savoy prospectus, may be authorised, but they are not true ex libris. The first authentic example, one for Dr. J. Lumsden Proper! (whose famous collection of miniatures was lately dispersed), appeared in No. I of the "Yellow Book." A reproduction (if a plate for Miss Olive distance was given in a recent number of The Sketch. Those for Aleister Crowley and Gerald Kelly have not, so far, been reproduced. The so-called " Beardsley's own book-plate," reproduced in the " Fifty Drawings," completes the list. That the latter could ever be used, except in "top-shelf" volumes, is doubtful ; it is an unhappy instance of the perverted fancy which the greatest admirers of the genius of the wonderful black-and-white artist can but regret.--
White, Gleeson. 'Modern Book-Plates & Their Designers' Winter number of "The Studio", 1898-9, p.40

Now what we can safely assert is that the Crowley's "book-plate designed by Beardsley" was based on the portrait of Madame Rejane (1893) but that does not mean it was made in 1893 or 94. In 1898 Gleeson White recognized it as an authentic book-plate designed by Beardsley. We know Crowley met Leonard Smithers as early as in 1897 and might have ordered Beardsleyan book-plate at that time.

So much for Crowley and Beardsley. In two or three days I think I can show another very rare PCS works!

rota

Again, this might be slightly off-topic, but I ran across another scholarly article about Pamela Colman Smith's art, and thought I'd share the info for any other completists out there. There seem to be a number of us Pixie junkies in these woods...

Here's the info: the book is titled The Spiritual Image in Modern Art, compiled by Kathleen J Regier, comprised of a number of articles by various scholars, on modern artists and their connection with spirituality. Our Ms. Smith is well-represented among such famous names as Klee, Pollock, Mondrian, Kandinsky, Van Gogh and Gauguin because of her unique multinationalism and connections with famous personalities.

The publisher is Quest. Her article is titled Mysticism in London: The "Golden Dawn," Synaesthesia, and "Psychic Automatism," in the Art of Pamela Colman Smith, by Melinda Boyd Parsons.

You'd probably unearth this book in a goodsized metaphysical store, or certainly online somewhere. It's well worth a read for its many anecdotes of her life and personality by people who knew her.

'As one fascinated writer remarked, "She feels quite detached from these drawings and is immensely interested in them, viewing them as an outsider who has never seen them before."'

roppo

another pixie work, rare one

Hi Rota. Yes, the article is quite informative and I read it through and through with immese joy. Dr Parsons is my compass, torchlight and idol!

Well then, a bit early Christmas present from me. PDF version of "Letters from the Beasts to Dina"(1905) by Edith M. Theobald with illustrations of Pamela Colman Smith.

http://grimoire.blog.ocn.ne.jp/doll/files/LettersfromtheBeaststoDina.pdf

This lovely piece for children is in "The Dream Garden, a Children's Annual "(London; John Baillie, 1905). I can't find any info about Edith Theobald.

And next week. A magazine containing an Ellen Terry drawing by Pixie is now flying somewhere over the Pacific Ocean, coming to my room. I'm happy.

Satori

roppo said:
I'm now constructing "The Occult Art Gallery" in my website and featuring PCS's works. Most of the PCS's Green Sheaf pictures are there.
Explanations are written in Japanese as usual (partly in English), but the pictures are universal (of course!) so anyone can enjoy them; just click the thumbnails.

http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~elfindog/ocartglry.htm

I'm fully aware that most of the PCS pictures are already seen at Holly Volly's excellent website. Well, hers are hers and mine are mine. Anyway I have to build up my own gallery for the Japanese readers. I'll add many more pictures soon, including supposedly an original self-portrait of PCS (watercolor!).

Presently an old tatterd little book tilted "Stories for Corinne" is the eye-catcher. The editor/author is Mrs Colman, the grandmother of PCS.

Friends, please enjoy.

Breathtaking stuff. I really enjoyed Widdicombe Fair! Imagine a deck based on that style. Too fun!

roppo

Lady's Realm

"Lady's Realm" (vol. XIV, Hutchinson, London,1903) is the title of the magazine which contained the following drawing of Ellen Terry by PCS.

http://grimoire.blog.ocn.ne.jp/doll/files/hjord.jpg

It's from a scene of Ibsen's play "The Vikings" produced by Gordon Craig. These "one-time-appearances" in the old magazines are difficult to find, but I believe there woulld be still many other PCS works sleeping between forgotten pages.

And today I found an example of PCS bookplate. 2009 will start with it!

P.S. Hi Satori, I'm glad you enjoyed PCS works. Yes, Pixie's coloured works are really charming and interesting!

roppo

a bookplate, and

Here's a bookplate by PCS. A very simple design for the actor Frank Tyars showing his house at Grimshill, Kent, England.

http://grimoire.blog.ocn.ne.jp/doll/files/pcsbkplate01.jpg

But the real treat of this week is the following one. It's a byproduct of my PCS research/hunting and now one of my cherished treasures. Sorry it's not PCS work, but really worth looking, I believe.

Here goes, an illustration by M. Bergson-MacGregor! (generally known as Moina MacGregor Mathers).

http://grimoire.blog.ocn.ne.jp/doll/files/mbm04.jpg

I'll officially report the info about this image at my website Thursday morning (JST) :D

* I heard that some of you can't see the pictures from my grimoire-blog for some reason or another. For the benefits of AT members --

Attachments

• mbm02.jpg
    mbm02.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 210

Seafra

Just spent about an hour in this thread and its links. Then it occurred to me that it is PCS's birthday. Thanks for sharing all of this. Much appreciated!

roppo

rota said:
Roppo -- you've turned into a historian. Already there's enough here for a small monograph. I wonder if there wouldn't be a way to partner with US Games for a short, but well-illustrated book on the extended ouevre of Pamela Colman Smith? I would imagine there's enough self-interest on their part, and certainly enough enthusiasm and knowledge on your part, to create a product of absorbing interest to tarot fans everywhere?

Now I can speak about it. US Games is going to publish their own Pixie RWS set!

http://www.usgamesinc.com/product.php?productid=1069

I'm really looking forward to it because there'll be some PCS works from my collection to be reproduced in the book.

PS Oh, Seafra, I'm very glad you enjoyed the links!

Debra

How exciting for you Roppo!

It looks like a nice set and certainly a reasonable price!

Seafra

Great news! Great package and great price. Do let us know when it is available? I've been good and need a gift. :)