Tarot Taxonomy

blue_fusion

My suggestion:

Tarot & Oracles
>Tarot
>Oracles

-Not all oracles are tarots, and oracle creators might object to the mislabeling of their decks (hence the tarot and oracles heading. That way, all divination decks are represented).
-Tarot over trionfi, as people are much more familiar with the term tarot.

Hope that helps.

Mabuse

That's a good start.

Tarot
|- Trifoni
|- Oracle

Does that seem reasonable?

The word is actually spelled "Trionfi" It's the oldest name for Tarot cards. It's an Italian word with a double meaning of "triumphs" or "trumps". The original theme of Tarot is one of triumphal processions and the English word "trump" is derived from this word.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trionfi_(cards)

However this word is not well known except mostly by Tarot historians. Instead of "Trionfi" I would use "Tarot Games" or "Tarot Playing Cards" which could be a traditional type of trick taking or fantasy/RPG sort.

I think oracles should be a separate category like playing cards is a separate category. Oracle is not a subset of Tarot. It is more of a superset where Tarots designed for divination would be a subset of oracle. In lieu of the word "oracle" in the Tarot category, I would have "Tarot reading/divination" or something to that effect.

Tarot
|- Tarot games
|- Tarot divination

Oracles
|- Lenormand
|- other

Playing cards
|- Standard 52 card decks
|- variant playing cards

You may notice I've not used the word "cards" when discussing divination. One thing to keep in mind is that dice are also used in divination and TGC allows one to create custom 6 sided dice. A divination category should allow for the creation of such dice in addition to cards.

Grigori

It may be worthwhile considering listing tarot's in two places. One under Divination and another under Card Games. You could then duplicate the listing and make it easier for people to find them under whichever heading they look according to their intended usage of the deck; or list the decks more intended for divination in one location and the others for card games in their location.