Tarot E.mag

Ravenswing

big book

i've got pagemaker. that'll lay everything out in whatever size we like. at one time i did a zine called 'tarot views'; before that my first wife and i did a metazine called 'aspects'-- it ran five years (all cut and paste!!). so why not a book?

i've got gematrical poetry-- one verse for each of the cards. i've also done some pathworking articles, some number articles...

we could throw in a few spreads, some elementary tarot teachings, jenny-li's short stories, wisdom from the hermit, jema's little jems, and anything else that comes along.

throw in a version of the fool's journey.... and have you seen sam's tarot tales thread? the old campfire idea. you start the story and run about ten lines, then some one else takes it up. sam's twist is that you take up the tale with a tarot card from a particular deck.

i would suggest a number of different 'threads' interwoven. make it interesting....

anybody read the last whole earth catalogue? there was a running story throughout the book-- a small section on each double-page. the fool's journey would work well this way as a 'tie-together'.

perhaps we should get together sometime. i think we might want to get a format together first, then fill it in...

back in flight
ravenswing

jema

ravenswing, love your ideas:)

i am thinking about the llewellyn almanacks, have you seen them?
i only have one llewellyns magickal almanacka for 2000.
we could do something like that but more coherent, include an almanacj with a suggestion for a daily card or affirmation and then lots of articles and on each page at the bottom a quote and/or the fools journey.
but however much i love huge coffee table books we all know that one never really read them all that often. i think a smaller format would be better, think thick! but small...
oh and spiral bound!
with lots of cards but from independant decks and from the aeclectic deck of course!
and tips on making your own cards.

i think many (at least it is true for me) get overwhelmed at the project of doing 78 cards, but perhaps we can encourage people to just do one card, do their soulcard! oh and include stuff in the book that they can colour in themselfs:)
or let their kids colour it! like a tarot-family book.

add personal stories on the cards. not just the ordinary interpretations - but write about how that card affected You deeply.

Ravenswing

book

okay guys--

in particular jema, the hermit and jenny-li.

let's do it.

i was just sitting here, reading this thread while shuffling my expermental tarot deck. split the deck and turned up 'the seed'-- in other decks the ace of pentacles.

is this a green light or what?

first thing--

my address is stevepolsz6@aol.com.

i think we should swap addresses so we can send cc messages, it'll save time.

next would be to figure out a basic format and layout if this is to be a book. another option to consider is to break this down into a zine of sorts. we might have too much for a single publication, but a continuing zine will handle most everything.

the one i was publishing (called 'tarot views') ran 8 times a year, released at the holidays. a three year cycle give you 24 issues. our first issue highlighted the negative veils, the second the tree of life as a whole, and each subsequent issue a major arcana card. fits exactly into a three-year cycle.

as to creating your own deck, i have an article by arnell on how to create a collage deck. i'm sure she'll let us reprint.

another thing we did was to feature an artist and their deck-- arnell and steeve postman were two of the artists we featured.

the advantage of a zine is that we can format tighter and there is less immediate demand.

jenny-li, do you think writing one short every six weeks will prevent burnout? book option would be to have all 78 at least outlined...

to you my friend hermit-- i'm sure you could produce one hell of an article on whatever. or perhaps two. or three.

jema-- all kinds of goodies can float through the zine and i'm sure you can come up with a lot of them.

and a zine can be self-published a lot easier than a book....

anyone interested?? book or zine, this idea is too good to let slip by. drop me an e-mail @ stevepolsz6@aol.com and we can get the show on the road-- whatever we decide to do.

ravenswing

jema

ravenswing,

i have been thinking of things i could write about. but you have to realize i am not a native english speaker at all so my writing would be a bit dry and simple since i only know so many words.

i am pondering a few ideas for articles right now.

Jenny-Li

Ravenswing:

I have to admit the chicken in me went berserk when I read that post - noway! Talking is one thing, doing is another.... Then I realized that's what I always say, and then I complain I never get any "synchronicitical opportunities"... Yeah right. One short story every 6 weeks should be doable, especially once one gets into it.

There is a problem, and that is what Jema points out: neither one of us are native English speakers - or writers. Working in Translation business I know just all to well how people (Swedes, many of them) really think they can write stuff in English and it comes out so embarrassing even I can't read it...! Swedes usually speak good English, but it's not the same as being as fluent and literate as a native. In that respect I'm more for a webb "zine" (is that the term?), you can actually get away with more on the internet than in a book.

Hm, I'll set my mind working, and see what comes out of it. My e-mail is in my profile!

Jenny :)

the hermit

so I guess I'm in... not sure what I'm in to! :D
Ravenswing has the helm.
We can try a live chat too... if everyone can get on the Aeclectic chat or aol instant messenger or ICQ? Whatever...

You folks concerned about your english writing abilities... your posts are fine and I'm sure we can work something together to make everyone happy. But "nothing ventured... nothing gained"

Jenny-Li

I have AOL instant messenger - at the moment only at work, and I'm not sure how to get it at home with the same "handle" - any tips? Please PM me! :D - but the one I have now is Estheeer - easy enough...!

Jenny :)

jema

i would suggest the chatroom we have right here. i don't use any kind of messegers (they all freak me out and i get so stressed that i close down my whole computer when i panick)
i am really not a good chatter. but the chatroom here is ok. even i have used that one and had some fun a few times;)

Keslynn

I would love to help out on the tarot webzine (or whatever form it ends up taking). I'm not sure how much I could write for it since I am still fairly new to tarot, but I can pitch in somehow. If I don't write I can edit and/or help with html formatting, etc.

Let me know when/where there will be chats, and I'll be there.

:) Kes

PS - Feel free to PM me or e-mail me at SwordsQueen@hotmail.com

the hermit

let's not clog the thread...

Since this has sort of gone beyond the original thread we should probably take it off-line as suggested by Ravenswing. We could also consider starting a "study group" and post down in the"Study Groups-General" section of the forum... a spot to keep everyone at Aeclectic up-to-date on project progress. Ravenswing has posted his email and I suggest we nominate him (since he's been so kind to volunteer :D) as coordinator for now and I would suggest those interested email or pm him so he can help us get going.