Only charlatans see the future?

Glitterbird

Shade said:
"I definitely see why you think tarot cards are just picture association psychology, that's a valid point of view." All I want in return is to be smiled at and told "And I get why you believe you can tell the future, you big adorable crystal crunching freaky loon."

Yay for "I messages"

Love this!!!

frelkins

Kissa said:
---> Jodo, yeah, like any flipping French pseudo-intellectual, likes to be a disturbance... check my passport... We and frigid New-Yorkers ;-)

Actually, I'm a collector. Cards are just fun for me, personally, not objects of any "faith." But my comment was merely about Jodo - today he will say no one can predict the future, and tomorrow he'd contradict himself if convenient. That's just his personality, don't take anything he says seriously. On any subject be it film or cards or what-have-you. :) He does like to rile people up. He'd love this thread. :D

nisaba

you big adorable crystal crunching freaky loon.
<<<SOB>>>

Why has nobody ever called *me* this???

<goes away and cries>

JSNYC

There are really two perspectives from which to view this, and I wanted to clarify my perspective

First is the seeker's perspective. My standard response to seekers is much different than what I have proposed here. When I do a reading for someone for the first time I tell them that the Tarot absolutely does not predict the future, and what we are doing has nothing to do with the "future". I then tell them that the best way to think about or "frame" what the cards are "saying" or what we are doing, is to simply consider this as advice from me. That may or may not be what it actually is, but it is the most useful way to comprehend the message.

I say that because if I were to tell the seeker that the Tarot predicts the future then, in the vast majority of cases, they would begin to apply all the typical stereotypes. They would assume that the reading that I am giving them suggests a future that is unchangeable, and as we all know that is possibly the worst attitude to have when consulting the cards and can defeat the whole purpose.

However, I am not talking to seekers now, I am talking to other readers, most of whom are wiser and more experienced in the Tarot than I. So I don't see the need to dilute my words to frame the debate. And I agree with Amanda, that was an excellent post Shade.

The entire question of whether the Tarot predicts the future is superfluous. However, as I am sure all experienced readers here can attest, sometimes what is seen in the cards does indeed occur in the future. But I don't see the need to label it, so there is no point in asking what that is and trying to define it. It happens, or at least something happens. This is fantastic and powerful tool and I am more interested in seeing what this tool is capable of, than trying define and possibly limit it, by applying rules based on what it is supposed to do, or what someone else says it can or cannot do.

And that is why Marina's video was a sham. The reporter was trying to make those readers predict an unchangable future. There is no such thing as an unchangable future. So of course he was going to be right in the end (and make the Tarot and us readers look stupid.) That is just the way it is, that is good TV...

I will close with a quote from the master, C. G. Jung. He understood this discussion:

At his (Richard Wilhelm's) first lecture at the Psychological Club in Zurich, Wilhelm, at my request, demonstrated the method of consulting the I Ching and, at the same time, made a prognosis which, in less than two years, was fulfilled to the letter and with unmistakable clearness. This fact could be further confirmed by many parallel experiences. However, I am not concerned here with establishing objectively the validly of the prophecies of the I Ching, but take it as a premise, just as my deceased friend did. Therefore, I am only going to discuss the amazing fact that the qualitas occulta of the time-moment became legible by means of the hexagram of the I Ching.

C. G. Jung, The Secret of the Golden Flower – A Chinese Book of Life

Grizabella

zan_chan said:
That may well be true, but it doesn't mean that a tarot reading done a week ago would have told them to look out for an erupting Icelandic volcano... :p

Doesn't mean it wouldn't have told them, either, zan. ;)