Leaving the querent with bad news

ravenest

1. Agreed

2. Agreed. There is always a way to mitigate potential damage of a situation. However, that is not the same as looking for something positive, as the lesser of the evils can still be quite negative. Just like the example reading I gave earlier in the thread, my suggestion to my friend was to abandon the awful business idea. I don't see that as being a positive, since the result would still have been failure.

:) Yep ... I can dig it ... I think a lot of us are speaking up against a type of new age concept that has infiltrated SOME ideas of SOME people about tarot reading 'advice' :

http://www.ucpress.edu/img/covers/isbn13/9780520267169.jpg

Amanda

One sure way of knowing what will actually happen is just living and doing it. One has to open the box at some stage.

The box with the dead cat in it.. right? :D

Chimera Dust

Leaving the querent with bad news.....

In psychotherapy a contract is delivered verbally to the client. It is in place to safe guard both the client and counsellor against harm, breaches of boundaries and it is in place to ensure the client understands work is about to take place, enables them to understand and concent, and to engage in the session with equal responsibility.

Having said that. I believe a similar exchange of understanding should be clarified at the start of a tarot reading session. In concenting to participate the querent needs to accept their own responsibility for the nature of the process and what information might be received by them from the reader be it good or as in the op's question bad. It should be stated clearly at onset, that they feel safe enough and strong enough to proceed with the reading and take away with them whatever insights are given.

People have to be encouraged or at least assumed to be autonomous.

I agree. Explaining what you do and making sure that the sitter understands the consequences might prevent a lot of issues and takes away some of the guilt readers might feel for raining on someone's parade if the reading is negative in some way.

Dangala

What if there is nothing but bad news for the quarent ?? I've had instances where they had their heart set on someone who did not feel the same way at all but they were under the illusion this person was their soul mate.. I just use tact and pray lol because it can get awkward.. :/

Nineveh

Hi, All! 😃When reading the cards I don't feel an obligation to find "good news" in the spread. Some spreads have no good news and I would much rather be honest and help the querent to prepare for the possibility of whatever was shown in the cards rather than to give that person false hope. I've been misled and let down by "rainbow readers" and soothe sayers too often. I would never want anyone to experience that. Additionally, if we were all really in control of our own destinies I believe poverty rates would be at 1% or less. Life will not always be pleasant...

Dangala

Some spreads have no good news and I would much rather be honest and help the querent to prepare for the possibility of whatever was shown in the cards rather than to give that person false hope. I've been misled and let down by "rainbow readers" and soothe sayers too often.

Unfortunately some querents prefer rainbow readers and see anything else as a personal attack. This is when they go and try to get confirmation from another reader and sometimes fall with a soothe sayer.. I agree with your post though I feel the same. :)

Miss Woo

Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread. I'm in the middle of doing lots of Christmas stuff.

For me, the 'bad news' itself wasn't the problem, it was the way the information was delivered... It left me feeling disempowered. I had nowhere to go with it. It was like it was just dumped on me and I was on my own with it. It sucked.

And now I feel like I need an exorcism to get it out of my head LOL.

Nineveh

Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread. I'm in the middle of doing lots of Christmas stuff.

For me, the 'bad news' itself wasn't the problem, it was the way the information was delivered... It left me feeling disempowered. I had nowhere to go with it. It was like it was just dumped on me and I was on my own with it. It sucked.

And now I feel like I need an exorcism to get it out of my head LOL.

Is it safe to say that you had received that which you requested -a reading? People are different and styles of delivery are different. There is a 50/50 chance I will feel some type of empathy towards a querent and other times I simply read the cards and move on. Personally, a tarot reader cannot make me feel "disempowered". I think such feelings have more to do with the querent's personality rather than the reader.

There is a reader who has a really heavy "dark cloud" type of energy with her presence and readings. I usually avoid exchanging with her as even her feedback has the negative energy. I think that is the best we can do. ☺

Nineveh

Unfortunately some querents prefer rainbow readers and see anything else as a personal attack. This is when they go and try to get confirmation from another reader and sometimes fall with a soothe sayer.. I agree with your post though I feel the same. :)

Thank you. This is funny but so true.