So...is one defined by their collection?

FaintlyMacabre

I had a mother who made me hang on to everything too, at least I think that is where the issue started. Maybe someone can make us a therapy deck. There were other things, but I was in my teens and she took my baseball cards from my dresser drawer and got rid of them for some reason. As I look back, quite a few of the things had been bought with my allowance too.

Yet she didn't get rid of gifts she didn't want. I dragged junk around for years and eventually suspected that people had regifted it :). I am slow.

Diana

herself

Lark, so much of this sums up my situation!

My deck collection at one time was much bigger.
I have a fault....I get over enthusiastic about something and buy willy nilly just to have...or out of fear it will be not available later.

I go through phases with all of my hobbies, which is why I pop in and out of the AT forums, for months at a time. And when I'm getting back into something, the impulse to BUY is hideous. Fortunately I think I've been through the cycle often enough so now I'm trying to trade my way out of the impulse!

Over the years I have sold or traded at least 70 decks.
And as of today I haven't regretted a single letting go...as a matter of fact like you, I felt district relief when sending some of them off.
Not as many as you, but certainly a lot. I haven't even kept track of what has come and gone. I don't mind - now - letting go of something that I "should" like but don't. I don't want to be guilt-tripped by my own cards!

What I truly hope for is, as you mentioned in your post, that core collection of beloved decks. And the funny thing is, I look at my collection, and already know which ones those are. It's just a matter of taking a breath and letting the others go.

But it can take a while to get past the highs and lows of a deck, I find? Often an early obsession or love can, over time, turn into a great big MEH. Or it's hard to get rid of a deck I once loved but never would want to use.

I also have a fair bit of guilt over being given a very large collection by another ATer. Many of the decks were not to my taste, and those I sold and traded. But there are others, for some reason that are more difficult to let go, even when I don't really see myself using them any time soon. They were hers, and they were loved.

Citrin

I recently traded one quite hard to find deck and one VERY hard to find, and people were like ”Noooo you can’t TRADE those! You should sell them on ebay!” lol ;) But I didn’t want to do that, get them in the hands of an ebay-nut only looking to sell it for more money in a year… No thanks. I’d rather trade them to get decks I really want to use, and help a fellow tarot lover get a deck they really want.

So a true collector? Nah, probably not. ;) I want to keep my collection quite small, varied (none of that “must have each edition of my fav decks and back-ups” etc), and where I really like all the decks. I don’t have to USE all of them on a regular basis, but when I feel like it I want to be able to grab THAT certain deck.

I totally understand people having huge collections though, I mean why not? Collecting, whatever it might be, is a popular hobby. I just don’t have the patience and physical space lol :D

The Happy Squirrel

I collect, I don't invest. So OOP or not is irrelevant to me. If I like it, I want it. If not, I don't. Whether decks are being "used" or not is also irrelevant to my collecting them. Browsing decks for me is pleasurable, and it is a form of "using" decks. Shuffling them to relax is another. They aren't just there to do readings with. Even if I don't "use" them at all, I like having the ones I have around for when I do feel like "using" them. Otherwise, they will move on to someone else. Collecting is a hobby. If you collect you are a collector. If you invest, you are an investor. I personally do not believe in investing in decks. It is not a wise form of investment in my personal opinion.

Padma

I collect, I don't invest. So OOP or not is irrelevant to me. If I like it, I want it. If not, I don't. Whether decks are being "used" or not is also irrelevant to my collecting them. Browsing decks for me is pleasurable, and it is a form of "using" decks. Shuffling them to relax is another. They aren't just there to do readings with. Even if I don't "use" them at all, I like having the ones I have around for when I do feel like "using" them. Otherwise, they will move on to someone else. Collecting is a hobby. If you collect you are a collector. If you invest, you are an investor. I personally do not believe in investing in decks. It is not a wise form of investment in my personal opinion.

All of that was so succinct! Thanks, Happy Squirrel. I especially liked that last bit about collecting and investing. It does make a world of difference, you are right! I think, after having sold off some OOP and pricier decks, but still feeling relieved by that (I never used them at all) I see now I was trying to invest, when really, I collect. Sort of. :D

Padma

I don’t have to USE all of them on a regular basis, but when I feel like it I want to be able to grab THAT certain deck.

I totally get this! Thanks, Citrin! :) You are right, so important to have that one deck you know has what you want.

Will be back to answer others tomorrow! I really appreciated everyone's views on this, it really helped me reframe my goals and liberate myself :)