So...is one defined by their collection?

Debra

I dunno -- comparing tarot to branded toys or a rich guy's cars doesn't seem quite right to me although to judge by the trading threads, "never opened" and "one of my backups" apply to tarot as well as Star Wars toys.

To have a "collection" rather than just "a bunch of stuff" implies to me some standard for deciding what to get and keep. I guess the standard can be "I can afford it" or "I like it" or "It's the coolest thing these days." Granted it's personal preference etc. blah blah...nonetheless...to me, some standards just seem more well-considered than others.

How about comparing tarot collecting to acquiring historically significant artifacts or significant works of art?

G6

I dunno -- comparing tarot to branded toys or a rich guy's cars doesn't seem quite right to me although to judge by the trading threads, "never opened" and "one of my backups" apply to tarot as well as Star Wars toys.

To have a "collection" rather than just "a bunch of stuff" implies to me some standard for deciding what to get and keep. I guess the standard can be "I can afford it" or "I like it" or "It's the coolest thing these days." Granted it's personal preference etc. blah blah...nonetheless...to me, some standards just seem more well-considered than others.

How about comparing tarot collecting to acquiring historically significant artifacts or significant works of art?

Car collectors consider their collection of cars to be historically significant and works of art. There is likely an argument that the history of the automobile is more historically significant than tarot cards.

I call my decks a collection and I would agree with you that statement implies a level of effort, care and discrimination on my part. Although I hesitate to say having a collection makes me a collector because I don't feel I collect decks for collection purposes. I buy decks to use and learn from, but the "collection" is simply a byproduct of that process. Almost like a scrapbook.

Zephyros

Still, though, I bet everyone has a Tarot "Holy Grail," that one deck that might be old, out of print or even never published, that they would give their right arm for. This goes even for a deck that won't be used. Would anyone here refuse a Pam A? I know that I would never use my own Holy Grail, the Sangreal Thoth, but that doesn't stop me from wanting it. I would also never use a historical Visconti, but that doesn't mean that if anyone wishes to give it to me that I wouldn't graciously accept it. :)

I think there can be joy in just owning a thing, even if you just look at it.

rwcarter

The primary way in which my collection defines me is that it requires its own room. So I have to rent a 2 bedroom apartment even when I'm living alone....

With OOP decks constantly being re-released over the last 2-3 years, that designation doesn't mean anywhere near as much as it used to. I'm not going to be able to retire by selling my tarot collection. I wouldn't make enough to put a down payment on a house or buy a new car. I MIGHT make enough to take a really nice cruise. So I don't think about my collection in terms of which decks currently are in print or how much the decks are worth.

I'm sure other people's mileage will vary (and no, I haven't read most of the posts in this thread).

Rodney

cSpaceDiva

I hope I'm not defined by my collection, but to some people maybe I am. If you collect for long enough, eventually you will end up with a significant number of OOP decks, even if you never purchase one.

I don't like to narrowly define the word 'use'. If I enjoy taking a deck out and looking the through the cards, is that not a legitimate use? Even if I never do a reading with that particular deck, just being familiar with the images can enhance my understanding of the cards when I read with another deck.

There are a few OOP decks I would like to have, but not because they are OOP. If I hear that a deck on my wish list is going OOP, that may provide the impetus for me to purchase, but my interest pre-dates that fact. At the same time, I will say that part of the thrill of collecting is in finding bargains or Hard To Find decks. OOP and/or expensive does not make something HTF, for example, the Greenwood is not HTF.

I have also collected other objects at various times. When I was in 3rd-4th grade it seems like every girl had a sticker collection. I had a teacher who introduced us to stamp collecting, so I did that casually for a while. I guess I am a collector by nature, so I think it helps to limit myself to a category (tarot, and to a lesser extent oracles and other decks) so that I don't end up with too much of everything.

As far as I recall, I have never let a deck go that I didn't have another copy of. But I'm starting to feel like I could. It just feels like the decks that I don't care for wouldn't be worth much anyway, although that may or may not be true. (If I don't like something, then everyone else must feel the same way, right? :D )

Amberjune

This is such an interesting discussion.

I don't see myself as a collector...what I do like is pleasure and joy and discovery. I love the feeling of anticipation when I find a deck that I like and put in an order for it. I love unwrapping it and 'getting to know' a deck, discovering new aspects of the cards and their meanings, it's just so fascinating, stimulating, such a fun way to broaden my understanding of life and self....

Many years ago I had a collection that I gave away due to moving overseas, only two of my decks made it through that purge. These two decks have been with me for 15-20 years and I feel a very special bond with them. They have become an integral part of my life story, amazing really. I'm not sure that I could establish such a deep connection with many decks and don't think it is necessary, really. I love the diversity of working with different decks, I find it very enriching.

The same goes, to a certain degree for books. I have purged my book collection by half since last summer, down to about 500...by using the Marie Kondo method of holding the book in my hands and asking 'does this spark joy?'

If the answer is yes, I get to keep it, if no out it goes. This works really well for me so far. Sometimes I find myself looking for a certain book, only to realize that I gave it away...and that is really ok, so far I have not repurchased any, because I've come to realize that I have internalized the knowledge and buying it again would 'not spark joy'.

I don't want to own things just to have them. I want them because they bring joy, wonder, expansion to my life.

nisaba

We've been talking about OOP decks here rather a lot lately...

So my question is, how do you define a true collector of tarot? What are your definitions of a successful collection...?

:) Do tell!
A connoisseur of collections once stated publicly that if you have *one* of something, that's not a collection. If you have *two* of something, the second one is to balance out the first one. But if you have *three* of something, there is absolutely NO excuse for buying the third one, so you have fallen into the trap of collecting with that third thing <grin>.

A successful collection is a collection that makes you happy.

An unsuccessful collection is a collection that is a burden to you, like a millstone around your neck.

gregory

I think letting go is part of the refining. I have let stuff go, something I never thought I'd do a few years ago.
I am SO unrefined :D
I am more fascinated by mass market decks than limited edition / hand crafted/ HTF ones.
Actually I think that's true of me too. Though I do also like many "special" ones too. But I would rather have some more interesting mass market ones than a Pam A, to be honest.
I have lost count of my collection. I wonder if it is beyond 1,000? And if so, how much? I don't have any cataloguing system. Everything is just in a room, tucked in spaces on the bookshelf where it fits. I can never locate things. I'm currently looking for an antique Lenormand I know I bought (French verses) but since Wednesday, haven't been able to locate it. The whole cataloguing aspect (which rodney is very good at) completely eludes me.
It's quite easy ! Mine is beautifully catalogued - and 99% of the time I can find whatever in moments. That said - one of my decks is missing as we speak. It IS a very special one too, a gift, an artist's prototype. :mad: :( It is also very small, so I HOPE it has slipped down the back of some drawers, but I've not had the time to take that chest apart. But this is just to say that cataloguing isn't everything :(

Still, though, I bet everyone has a Tarot "Holy Grail," that one deck that might be old, out of print or even never published, that they would give their right arm for. This goes even for a deck that won't be used. Would anyone here refuse a Pam A? I know that I would never use my own Holy Grail, the Sangreal Thoth, but that doesn't stop me from wanting it. I would also never use a historical Visconti, but that doesn't mean that if anyone wishes to give it to me that I wouldn't graciously accept it. :)
As a gift - yes; the Sangreal in particular (I would even pay for that, if I had the money). And I would use it. The wooden Kashmiri, too.
I think there can be joy in just owning a thing, even if you just look at it.
Yes yes yes.
The primary way in which my collection defines me is that it requires its own room. So I have to rent a 2 bedroom apartment even when I'm living alone....
Ah. OK - I am defined - but am also lucky enough to have that room available ! It's very small, low ceilinged and a tight fit - but it is a tarotorium !
A successful collection is a collection that makes you happy.
Bingo. Smiles happily :D

Zephyros

It could be asked, though, is the Tarot market lucrative enough to justify purchasing decks as an investment. Seems to me one would need to have a collection of thousands of decks, many of them rare and out of print, to make any worthwhile profit out of them. Barring things like the wooden Kashmiri, the deck printed on gold and other true luxury items, even the most expensive decks aren't worth millions. Adam Mclean's decks are regularly sold at high prices but how much are they really worth on the resale market? Decks that are sold for a few hundred dollars are thought of as the top of the line and very expensive, but in objective terms a few hundred dollars isn't a lot of money.

Is there any one deck that the bearer could be set for life with, if they sold it?

Nemia

Probably the original Visconti...?