Vanessa Study Group proposal thread

Hemera

Keavy McGee said:
What drew you to the Vanessa? Or drew the Vanessa to you? :D
Keavy McGee, Keavy McGee and Keavy McGee:)
She did a reading for me with this deck (in the Reading Circles-thread) and I looked at some scans (esp. Samantha Stevens!) and that was it.

Keavy McGee said:
Why the Vanessa? Why now?
I don´t really know because I´m head over heels in love with the Faerie Tarot and this one looks very different at first glance. On the other hand.. Vanessa and Faerie Tarot are both alike in that both look shallow on the surface but obviously offer some great depths.
Yes, and I also wanted to have a deck in a tin :D

Keavy McGee said:
What's one thing you love about it?
Maybe what I just said above, that it looks shallow but apparently it isn´t. We´ll see..:)
And there were a few cards that were just irresistable. I already mentioned Samantha, and then there´s the Magician that I adore, and a few others..

Sulis

Moderator message

I'm very glad to see this group up and running.

I've made an index thread for the group and I've added it to the main Tarot Study Groups Index which is a sticky thread at the top of the forum.

Index of Study Groups
Vanessa Tarot index

If you can let me know by private message when a new thread is started so that I can add it to the index, I'd be very grateful :).

Sulis - Tarot Study Groups moderator

tarot4fun

Introduction~

Hi, my name is Suz and I'm glad to be here~ :)

Keavy McGee said:
What drew you to the Vanessa?
I've been reading for my daughter, her friends, and my sons' girlfriends; ladies in their 20s.
I thought they might like the Vanessa. ;)

Keavy McGee said:
What drew the Vanessa to you?
Dan’s review~ “The Vanessa Tarot will perhaps be the most overlooked Tarot of 2007. ‘Serious’ Tarot folks will eschew it, many will never get past the Magician – and will poo-poo it as a silly novelty. But the Vanessa deserves a closer look. …”

He’s right! Vanessa is a snappy, right-on, smart little deck! :D

Keavy McGee said:
My faves are the old-world Golden, the pagan DruidCraft, the magical Secret Forest, and the mysterious Archeon.
Vanessa fills in the gap and brings the NOW factor.
She sees the world through the eyes of my favorite TV and Silver Screen characters. :cool2:

Keavy McGee said:
It’s Purple~ :love:
It's tiny, easy to shuffle, and lives in an adorable tin.

:heart:

faunabay

Alright, now it's my turn.

What drew you to the Vanessa? Or drew the Vanessa to you?
Like tarot4fun says it has the NOW factor. It feels like a deck for this time. You can look at the cards and see things you can relate to in this century. I love the Shania card, Samantha (I always wanted to be Samantha), even the Hilary card! And the 5 of wands just cracks me up!!!

It drew me but I still wasn't sure how much I'd use it. I had been hemming and hawing back and forth "should I get it or not?". Then in a thread something....can't remember which one.....I was laughing about why couldn't someone just send me the Vanessa so I could look at it? :p That way I could see whether I wanted it or not and I promise I would send it back. :laugh: Well lunakasha took me up on it. :bugeyed: She was nice enough to send me the deck and told me if I didn't like it to send it back, but if I liked it I could just keep it!!! :* :* :* She's such a sweetheart!!! But that's how I ended up with Vanessa!

I love that's it's 99.9% girls. There are only 5 cards that have guys in them and they're sideline props. :laugh:

I haven't worked with the Vanessa as much as I want to. So thought this study group would be a good "excuse" to play with it more. The readings I have done have had so much more depth than you think you'll get by looking at the girly pictures. I'm excited!!!! :*

Alan Ross

* What drew you to the Vanessa? Or drew the Vanessa to you?

As soon as I saw scans for this deck, I knew I had to get it. What attracted me the most was the humor and the sassy attitude of the Vanessa. There was also a little serendipity involved.

At the time this deck first came out, I had just started becoming involved with my current fiance. One of the provocative topics that we teased each other with was certain kinky bedroom activities. One day, while I was exchanging emails with her on this topic, I stumbled on a scan of the Devil card from the Vanessa Tarot. I was rotflmao. I emailed her the scan and she also thought it was hysterical. I figured the Universe had sent me a sign and I ordered the deck the same day.

* Why the Vanessa? Why now?

My usual reading decks are the Hanson-Roberts and the Robin Wood. The Vanessa makes a light and irreverant, but perceptive, alternative that's proven to be especially popular with female friends and acquaintances whom I read for.

* What's one thing you love about it?

The tin box it comes in. It's the coolest packaging I've seen for a tarot deck. It's also more practical and durable than the usual cardboard box most decks come in.

Grip Dellabonte

What drew you to the Vanessa?
A while back I was collecting Moon cards because the Moon was just calling me intensely, and still is. I found this little site because of its Moon card. I thought the card was sassy, but yet the artist still captured the essence of the Moon card. I really liked it.

A guy named Lynyrd had made some cards for a friend of his, and he was debating at the time whether or not he would have them published. I was so bummed! He had other cards on this page, and the colors and attitudes portrayed in them were so cute and full of life.

I had no idea then that he was blue_fusion, and creator of quite a few decks I would turn heaps of charm (and voodoo) on in order to get! :D

What drew the Vanessa to you?

The cards "get" me! :D Lynyrd gave his girls spunk, style, humor, and a sense of adventure. The cards knew I am all those things - how could they resist me?!

Well to quote the oft-quoted, "To everything there is a season". You started this thread because it felt like the right time to you, and I guess maybe we all feel the same way. :)

Only one?! But....it's like Lay's Potato Chips! One?!
Okay, I chose one, but two other ones were stuck to it, and I didn't want to be uncouth (I am all about couth...) and put the other two back....

1. The attitude! Love all the women and their ways of being. 2. I just love his artistic eye. The design of the women is unique with their big heads and little bods. And they are attractive but not necessarily babes, and the colors suit them so well. 3. Finally, the tin. Like the girls, the tin is durable.

I would pick more but you said one (and besides, I am watching my figure....).

Keavy McGee

Lovely jubbly!!

Oh, these are all such wonderful posts and thank you all for taking the time to do them!!

I've an idea or two to run past you about next steps on our VSG (Vanessa Study Group) path...

...but I'm going to leave you in suspense for a bit }) as I've a full day commitment today...

It may be Sunday before I can post my ideas...

...in the meantime...

"Sleep well. And dream of laaarge women."

Which has nothing whatsoever to do with tarot or Vanessa but I'm just feeling the Princess Bride quoting bug right now and that was such a great benediction!!:laugh:

On the run as always...yours,

Keavy:heart:

Keavy McGee

Hello, everyone!!

Keavy waves vigorously!!:)

You Are Cordially Invited... to a

VSG Launch Party!!

Somehow it just seems fitting to start our VSG ~ Vanessa Study Group :D ~ with a party!!

My idea was that we would launch our VSG for real this week, depending on individual schedules.

We'd see how many VSG'ers we could get online at one time ~ some of us are in North America, some in Scandinavia, and some are in foreign lands and over the rainbow :D ~ each of us would BYOB, and general partying and hilarity would ensue...during which time we would also post our first few cards for study...

I've got the details pretty worked out in my mind...how we'd post, how many threads we would need, etc., so don't worry your pretty little heads about all that....:laugh:

My real question is: Does this sound like fun? Would this work for you? And when are you available?

I don't think it's been done this way before. Most study groups seem to start out with a single card and study one card at a time. I thought this would give us a hearty sending off, like slapping a champage bottle on the bow of our ship, and put us all in a very festive mood as in Look How Much We Accomplished in One Night!!

Then from that point on, we could each post cards as we are moved to do so...having periodic parties (possibly monthly, but we can decide on that later) to re-fuel and re-intensify our studies...

So What Do You Think About My Invitation?

Please RSVP any and all thoughts about that here.

I will try to influence you heavily :D and mention that when I asked the Vanessa if this was the right way to proceed, I got the *Samantha Stevens* card, a favourite of many :laugh::laugh:

I know, no fair!!! })

Some details are:

We'd be online at the same time, almost like a chat, reading, chattering and posting over the top of each other ... hopefully :D

I would post a general party thread for us to converse and carouse and choose which card we were going to discuss next...

Each card would then have its own thread...meaning we would move the party out of the kitchen temporarily and into another room ;)

Anyone could post on the individual card threads, either at the party or later...

Future parties would start out on the one general thread...for an example you can look at the Trade Train Rehab Center...in-between trains, that's where all the riders hang out and have general conversation; then when the next train departs, a new thread is started and the Rehab thread goes silent for a while...

Questions? Comments?

One concern is syncing up our time zones and trying to do the least harm to all of our needs for beauty rest!!

But that's a second step....

So first step is back to you...

Looking forward to hearing from you all!!

:party::D:party:

La Keav:heart:

Attachments

• Mirgab-V-Launch.jpg
    Mirgab-V-Launch.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 143

faunabay

That sounds like alot of fun Keavy!! I'm an hour before you so I should beable to be available around the same times you will....give or take a bit. :)

My big thing right now is next weekend I'm moving my aunt and uncle to a different town....about 5 hours away. So I'll be out of commission all next weekend and probably most of friday....as that will be the day we're loading the truck. If we could wait until the week after I'll be much more available. But of course that's just me. :*

tarot4fun

rsvp

Thanks for the invite Keavy, sounds great! :party:

*waves to Faunabay and Keavy McGee*

I’ve been busy sweeping up stardust with my broom~
The opportunity to ‘fly away’ to a party is just what I need!!! :laugh:

I’m flexable, name the time~ :)
You can put me down for a large pitcher of Margaritas and a huge platter of Nacho chips dripping with cheese and topped with jalapeños~ :D

Can't wait!
Suz :heart: