Just got my new Tarot de Marseille by Camoin

jhernandez

I am very excited to pick up my Marseille deck by Camoin. I ordered it from the Camoin website. I was not at home to pick it up so I have to go to the post office and pick it up there. I am so excited to have in in my hands and begin learning from it. It is such a beautiful deck. I also want to buy the book by Jodo The Way of Tarot. Can anyone tell me if they have read it and what they think of it? Thanks guys.

gregory

There are threads. This one is probably the most informative.

Here's another, and a third.

Most people are - less than impressed, not to say disappointed - and after reading threads here, I didn't buy a copy myself.

If you like historical decks - the facsimile TdM Yves le Marseillais recently published is far superior, IMHO. You might like to consider it.]
Here's a thread about it. It is STUNNINGLY lovely.

Lee

I agree with all the negative things said about Jodorowsky's book. At the same time, I feel that it's a good book and worth a read. Many of the things he says are outrageous and/or just plain silly, but he's creative and has an infectious enthusiasm. You may not agree with some or even most of what he says, but it's likely that he'll get you thinking, which may very well result in your coming up with things that you may not have if you hadn't read the book.

I think the key to this kind of book is to read it and enjoy it and be inspired by it, but not to take it too seriously.

moonbear

Hello jhernandez and welcome to AT.

I don't have that particular deck so I'm afraid I can't help you there, but I do like reading with the Marseille deck (at the moment it's the Grimaud). It gives a lot of scope for creative thinking. If you like reading tarot 'out of the box' you'll love your deck!

Enjoy your new purchase :)

Richard

Personally, I prefer the CBD and the Grimaud-Marteau, but the C-J represents an interesting approach to the Marseille. I haven't read Jodorowsky's book, but I believe the designer of the CBD studied with him. Apparently there may be a few details in the C-J deck about which Camoin and Jodorowsky were not in total agreement, and Camoin's opinion prevailed.

jhernandez

Thanks Guys

Thanks guys for your help. I am researching the book now and looking at other books. I do feel that since I did get the Jodo/camoin deck it would help to have a book that specifically deals with the Tarot de Marseille. If anyone had this deck and has found interesting clues or has cool spreads please let me know. I like the past, present, future spread.

Abaris

A friend who happened to have a Jodorowsky-Camoin deck was what recently rekindled my interest in Tarot, which had lain dormant for about 20 years. I found Jodorowsky's book quite useful, too, especially where the pip cards are concerned, although I have to disagree with him on some of his interpretations of the trumps and although I find the few attempts at making historical claims in the book pretty dubious. I also found myself wondering whether some of the vocabulary used in the book was original to the French edition of the book or was a translation error (Pentacles rather than coins, major and minor arcana instead of trumps and pips, etc.) Still, I found it a lot more useful than a lot of books that come out with a very dogmatic view and that focus on such unhelpful (to me anyway) things as kabalistic correspondences or whatever. Reading it gave me just enough background that I feel a kind of confidence in my attempts at reading using the deck that I had not had the last time I tried to understand Tarot decades ago.

dorfmeister

Just ordered the book from Amazon . Will probably eventually order the cards from Camoin. Jodorowsky is a compelling figure with significant artistic achievements and experience. I'd be willing to give him more significant benefit of the doubt than most.