Simple Self-Help Spread

Cassandra022

Was reading a self-help book on a longer bus ride tonight and also shuffling cards...this spread popped into my head as a result, and gave me an awesome reading when I used it, so figured I'd share...

1 2
3 4

1 - Primary source of my current suffering
2 - Primary source of my excessive suffering
3 - Actions or thoughts of mine that negatively impact the situation
4 - What I could do action/thought wise to improve the situation

(In case anyone wants/needs clarification, excessive suffering is a concept, taken from buddhism I believe, wherein basically, you make a situation worse than it needs to be through approach/reaction to it. For example 'I am unemployed' is a situation causing some suffering in the form of financial difficulties, lack of meaningful things to do with time, etc. Excessive suffering would be 'i am unemployed, and cannot find work, leading me to believe it is because my work is worthless, lowering my self-esteem, then i don't look as much because i feel i won't find work anyway, causing me to be more upset with myself and the situation, and i dont spend as much time with friends because i keep thinking i shouldn't be spending the money going out, causing me to feel more isolated' basically, in the end a large part of the problems in that situation end up falling under the excessive suffering category, and can be fixed by changes in actions/thinking, so even if the original problem, unemployment, isn't fixed, quality of life can be improved, is the idea...)

DaisyDragonfly

Great spread :thumbsup:

I'm guilty of 'excessive suffering' - do it all the time and for every little thing - so this will be a great way of putting the lid on it.

Thank you :) I'ma gonna try it out right now!

annabel398

Isn't there a saying, Pain is mandatory, suffering is optional?

So much of our (um, my) suffering is self-inflicted, too. Why do I ALWAYS wait till the last minute on important assignments?!

I'm almost afraid to hear this spread telling me to get my ass off AT and into gear...

Chiriku

Extremely helpful. The Buddhist theory and the spread alike.

Cheers.

littlestar

Just tried this and absolutely loved it. Very short and simply but extremely accurate and informative.

Thanks for sharing.