Twisted Tarot Tales

dannyboy8406

So I was browsing through IndieGoGo today and I came across a new campaign for this tarot deck, The Twisted Tarot Tales- https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/twisted-tarot-tales#/ I have to say at first I just thought it was going to be "one of those" gimmick decks that you don't actually do much with, but the more I looked at the cards and watched the video the more intrigued I became. From watching the video I really like the way that certain cards can link together in various ways to form connections and create a deeper story. I think it will be a deck to spend some time with and see how my intuition develops with it.

I haven't 'invested' in the deck yet but the more I look and the more I think about it...the more I am sorta...probably...most likely going to get one. I never really was a huge fan of comic books, but I absolutely love horror movies of any size, shape, form, or fashion. From the psychological ones, to the slasher flicks, to the cheesy 'B' roll flicks, to the hundredth squeal. My college friends and I used to do "Chinese Fridays" at least once a month. We'd go get a ton of Chinese takeout, go rent the most cheesy over-done horror movie we could find.... then pig out on the food and make fun of the movie! HAHA! So this deck immediately connected with me as far as the imagery. It may or may not be a deck that I am able to read with, but its definitely one that I at least want in my collection for the memories it brings up!

What do you guys think?

Morwenna

It's not for me, but I do get the nostalgia thing! I like the idea of all those extra cards too. And the art is good.

I'm sure it would read well; some of those cards I grasped even while they were in motion in the scan. But I just wouldn't want to use it myself.

RiverRunsDeep

I'm not usually a fan of comic book art, but this deck reminds me of Tales from the Crypt! I'm like you when it comes to horror movies, dannyboy. To this day, my sister and I get together as often as possible for a night of food, wine, and horror films.

I'm going to keep an eye on this one for now, as I am not sure how Indiegogo works. (??) :confused:

dannyboy8406

I'm not usually a fan of comic book art, but this deck reminds me of Tales from the Crypt! I'm like you when it comes to horror movies, dannyboy. To this day, my sister and I get together as often as possible for a night of food, wine, and horror films.

I'm going to keep an eye on this one for now, as I am not sure how Indiegogo works. (??) :confused:

Its pretty much the same as Kickstarter with one major difference- the ability to choose how your funding works. Namely the funding source in question is called "Flexible Funding" which if you browse on IndieGoGo, the majority of projects there are on the flex funding option. In a “normal” crowdfunding campaign, backers are reimbursed if the stated funding goal isn’t met in a certain amount of time. This is “fixed funding.” In a flexible funding campaign, the campaign creator keeps all funds donated regardless of whether or not the campaigns meets its stated funding goal.

There is also a slight fee difference. With both fixed and flexible funding, 4% of contributions are kept as fees for successful campaigns. However, in a fixed funding campaign contributions are refunded when the campaign doesn’t meet its goal. If a flexible funding campaign doesn’t meet its goal, remember, the creator still gets the funds… but Indiegogo keeps 9%, not 4%. This presumably maintains an incentive for flexible funding campaigners to set a reasonable goal.

A lot of people are pretty weary of this type of funding... and rigtfully so. Several people who have 'invested' in a project with flex funding have been burned as their project was not fully funded and while the money was kept they did not ever receive their product. The people behind Twisted Tales addressed this with a post in the updates section of their page as well as on their FB for it (https://www.facebook.com/twistedtarottales). They promised that no matter what the funding looked like at the end, nobody would be stiffed and if you bought a deck, you would definitely receive one:

I just wanted to address something that has cropped up early in our campaign. There is some concern over our choosing the "flex funding" option on Indiegogo. Apparently this option, over time, has led some people to believe that there is no guarantee of having the rewards delivered. While it's very unfortunate that previous campaigns have failed to deliver, I want to appeal to those who already know that we've delivered over the years, through deck sales, without leaving you in the cold. It would be a great help to the campaign if we met the funding goal, but I am not going to skip out on you if it is not funded.

I felt that crowdfunding would be a great way of bringing everyone together to draw attention to the project, because we've always loved the idea of this project having a kind of "community" feel, which was why we were happy to share the deck's progress over the past year, asking your opinions on the imagery, the variations in card design and so on. Crowdfunding felt like the perfect choice for a deck which was shared from its very inception all the way to its completion.

We recognize that you may have had a few bad experiences with other project creators in the past, but please have faith in us. As a team we've illustrated three tarot decks previously, with each deck benefiting from our experience of how to handle everything from sales to working with printers both locally and internationally. As an illustrator I've been published by Schiffer Publishing, and we've also self published. I've shipped to China, Australia all the way to the US so I am confident in delivering this deck, even if, worst comes to worst, we do not meet the funding goal. Just ask any number of our happy customers throughout the world.

For those of you who've shown faith in our project and believed in us, we really appreciate your generosity.

But yes, I haven't got one of them yet either, I'm still keeping an eye on it as well. But I most likely will definitely get one. The first stretch goal has been met with getting 20 backers, which is an all new, additional card!

tarotlova

I have to say I love it! I never thought this type of deck would appeal to me but it does, in the video that was putting the cards next to each other meanings were just flying out at me so I think I might back this deck which I've never done before.

RiverRunsDeep

Its pretty much the same as Kickstarter with one major difference- the ability to choose how your funding works. Namely the funding source in question is called "Flexible Funding" which if you browse on IndieGoGo, the majority of projects there are on the flex funding option. In a “normal” crowdfunding campaign, backers are reimbursed if the stated funding goal isn’t met in a certain amount of time. This is “fixed funding.” In a flexible funding campaign, the campaign creator keeps all funds donated regardless of whether or not the campaigns meets its stated funding goal.

There is also a slight fee difference. With both fixed and flexible funding, 4% of contributions are kept as fees for successful campaigns. However, in a fixed funding campaign contributions are refunded when the campaign doesn’t meet its goal. If a flexible funding campaign doesn’t meet its goal, remember, the creator still gets the funds… but Indiegogo keeps 9%, not 4%. This presumably maintains an incentive for flexible funding campaigners to set a reasonable goal.

A lot of people are pretty weary of this type of funding... and rigtfully so. Several people who have 'invested' in a project with flex funding have been burned as their project was not fully funded and while the money was kept they did not ever receive their product. The people behind Twisted Tales addressed this with a post in the updates section of their page as well as on their FB for it (https://www.facebook.com/twistedtarottales). They promised that no matter what the funding looked like at the end, nobody would be stiffed and if you bought a deck, you would definitely receive one:

But yes, I haven't got one of them yet either, I'm still keeping an eye on it as well. But I most likely will definitely get one. The first stretch goal has been met with getting 20 backers, which is an all new, additional card!

Thank you for going to the trouble of explaining all of this. :) The funding seems to be going well so far, and I appreciate how the artist addressed the issue of flex funding. Will bide my time for now, but I think I'll eventually be getting one of these.

Alta

Just to say that I also appreciate this explanation. For some reason I had developed the impression that Indiogogo was a bit shady but I see that it is just a different funding format.

tmills508

Love the deck

Not so familiar with horror comics, I am with Tales from the Crypt, which was based on horror comics. So I see some episodes already in the cards. I love this deck, it is unique, and a bit twisted like me. I am not sure how it will read, but the art is great, and it is this year's pick for my small but growing Halloween Divination Collection. Every year something gets added.

dannyboy8406

Not so familiar with horror comics, I am with Tales from the Crypt, which was based on horror comics. So I see some episodes already in the cards. I love this deck, it is unique, and a bit twisted like me. I am not sure how it will read, but the art is great, and it is this year's pick for my small but growing Halloween Divination Collection. Every year something gets added.

Agreed!!! Perfect for a Halloween deck. Not a deck I would use to read just anyone... myself and people that I knew pretty well that would like the deck and find it interesting. I think the little connections here and there will be a fun challenge to read in the cards.

shadowdancer

I have the Twisted Tales Tarot colouring book ready to go with. 130 images is a lot. So don't expect to hear me say I have completed it any day soon. :D

As and when funds permit I will no doubt buy the deck. But the colouring book will keep me entertained in the meantime. And I reckon by colouring it myself, I will see more in each card than I would have otherwise done.