Le Tarot Divinatoire (1909) Gérard Encausse

gregory

I may be a bit thick here (I probably am)

BUT - I have the USG English translation of the Tarot of the Bohemians (1958). I also have the deck - both USG and Dusserre.

Would I gain a LOT more from the Divinatory book ?

coredil

gregory said:
I may be a bit thick here (I probably am)

BUT - I have the USG English translation of the Tarot of the Bohemians (1958). I also have the deck - both USG and Dusserre.

Would I gain a LOT more from the Divinatory book ?
Depending of what edition (see post 18 from Teheuti concerning the size of the illustrations in the Aeon book edition), you would get B & W pictures of the whole deck as you can see them on the left side of the scans on post 14 of this thread.

In the copy of the Dangles edition I have, the pictures are are bigger than the Dusserre edition and without any coloring. (outer frame of the whole picture including text 11,5 cm x 17,5 cm)
The book has has 344 pages.
188 pages are for an introduction and for the divinatory meanings, 156 pages are for the pictures of the deck.
Each picture is printed on the front of the page, the back side is blank.

From a collector point of view I would say yes you would get more (not a lot more) ;)
Oh and you would have the text to read (if you also can read french ;))
It is not the same as Le Tarot des Bohémiens.

Best regards

Trump Lloyd

Here are three photos from the Aeon book to get an idea of the differences. I didn't scan because I would have had to break the spine.

The pages are 130 x 197. As Teheuti mentioned, the images are differently sized. Measuring the inside box (excluding the titles), the Fool is 45 x 74, the Queens [sic] of Wands is 64 x 110, and the Ace of Coins is 62 x 120.

The typeface of the text is different (less fancy and old-timey) and the translations aren't exact (Le Pape becomes The Hierophant, and the Fool's "0 (ou 21)" is given as "0").

Also, this edition loses the diagonal frames on the minor arcana that give those cards a three-dimensional quality.

I don't know if the original French edition used plates. Here the images are printed on the same paper as the text and they aren't crisp. The original images are very striking and I can see why they were prominently displayed on the jacket of A Wicked Pack of Cards.

Attachments

• AeonBks00The Fool.jpg
    AeonBks00The Fool.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 211
  • AeonBks23QueensofWands.jpg
    AeonBks23QueensofWands.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 211
  • AeonBks77AceofCoins.jpg
    AeonBks77AceofCoins.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 207

gregory

coredil said:
From a collector point of view I would say yes you would get more (not a lot more) ;)
Oh and you would have the text to read (if you also can read french ;))
But the Aeon one is a translation.... (though I can read French, yes.)

Teheuti

gregory said:
But the Aeon one is a translation.... (though I can read French, yes.)
If you can read French then I'd get the French edition - no question. The Aeon edition is reordered and who knows what other minor changes. The French edition is a faithful reproduction of the original.

Mary

gregory

Reordered how ? I CAN read French - but I am also very lazy ;)

Teheuti

gregory said:
Reordered how ? I CAN read French - but I am also very lazy ;)
I'll let someone else answer that as I don't have time right now to go through the two books and ennumerate everthing. Basically the spread instructions have been moved to the end and are no longer at the beginning and the Major Titles were originally listed separately from their descriptions, etc., Not necessarily bad choices but it makes me wonder what else has been changed.