Tarot Courses: How closely do you follow them?

gregory

I agree. I've often found that the exercises I have the most resistance to can be the ones that open up a whole new perspective for me or a major breakthrough. Sometimes, though, I'll get bored or turned-off if the exercise is too boring or alien to my way of thinking (this can be helpful to know, too). So, it is a dance. Sometimes early exercises are essential to getting the most out of later ones.

I'd say skip the exercises for now if they are likely to curb your enthusiasm for an otherwise helpful book. But, try and go back to those exercises later, like tarotbear mentioned.
I'd agree with Teheuti and TB. Especially given that it's Kim, who is startlingly spot on so much of the time - in ways that have always made me think outside my own box, kind of.

I shan't forget being in a class she was doing where we all studiously did exactly what she had told us, matching up cards and names - we expected her to tell us how well or otherwise we'd done and she just said "It doesn't actually MATTER what names you gave the cards; what matters is that you made the effort to do it. That's how you learn."

Labhraín

I too agree with your flute teacher to ...
'take what you want and leave the rest'

I say this is valuable in many different areas of life with the hobbies that we have, and skills we choose to learn. Follow your heart. Follow your intuitive guidance to keep your passions kindled.

If you burn yourself out by muscling thru Tarot exercises you don't enjoy, you could most likely lose interest, and miss out on the wonders that it offers...

A big key to learning Tarot is to ENJOY your adventure. :)

I agree. I've often found that the exercises I have the most resistance to can be the ones that open up a whole new perspective for me or a major breakthrough. Sometimes, though, I'll get bored or turned-off if the exercise is too boring or alien to my way of thinking (this can be helpful to know, too). So, it is a dance. Sometimes early exercises are essential to getting the most out of later ones.

I'd say skip the exercises for now if they are likely to curb your enthusiasm for an otherwise helpful book. But, try and go back to those exercises later, like tarotbear mentioned.

In my books I've tried to indicate the exercises/processes that I think are core and which ones can be tried if they appeal to you, so look for indicators about this.

That sounds like very, very good advice. I felt like I was muscling through the exercises (well put!) and what I decided to do was, based upon all of the guidance that I received, is to just stop doing the exercises, read through the entire book and then go back and do the exercises that interested me. I don't even have to do the ones that interested me. This book is a course but I feel like it's also a reference book to turn too as needed. It seems like there is more than one way to use this book and create your own course around it.