So you'd like to know the history of tarot

Feretian

Oh, now I see.

It is an unmonitored "information" source.

There's even a little button that guides you to make your own guide.

It asks for your name and self described qualifications.

An unscrupulous person might take advantage of such a open platform ;)

Rosanne

Oh Dear......
During this time the Tarot became a form of political dissension. Some of the cards began to depict distrust and anger directed toward the Catholic Church. In essence, the Tarot Cards became the political underground newspaper of the day. For instance, the Hanged Man card became a Christ-like figure being tortured upside down with the Cardinals and the Pope in the background. This insinuated that the Pope and the Cardinals were killing a Christ-like figure, which was intended to represent the Knights of Templar. The cards began to represent the torture and death of the Knights of Templar as well as an attempt of the Church to kill the ideas of the Cathars.

Sacred Book of the Angels?
Sounds Mormon to me...and then I note author is from Utah. Maybe a leap, but...
Reported as unhelpful.
~Rosanne

prudence

Feretian said:
Oh, now I see.

It is an unmonitored "information" source.

There's even a little button that guides you to make your own guide.

It asks for your name and self described qualifications.

An unscrupulous person might take advantage of such a open platform ;)
Hmmm, maybe a good title for the guide could be 'So you'd like to know how incorrect the information on Suzanne Wagner's "So You'd Like to Know Tarot History" page is?' ...or is that too long of a title? :D

cardlady22

By all means, post your feedback about whether you found it helpful. I didn't see much that was relevant to the 3 suggested books on the Thoth, but then I haven't read any of them to know.

The "inappropriate" reporting option seems like it should be more for illegal/improper content. We do live in the Internet Age. All information is available. It is up to each one of us to decide what to pay attention to or exclude from our lives.

Teheuti

I received a private email from someone saying that I'm behaving badly by presenting this (on another list) and "making facts God." That I'm showing a repressed rage that makes people very uncomfortable and that I shouldn't make accusations.

Have I really been this out of line in bringing it to the attention of the tarot community?

Ross G Caldwell

Teheuti said:
I received a private email from someone saying that I'm behaving badly by presenting this (on another list) and "making facts God." That I'm showing a repressed rage that makes people very uncomfortable and that I shouldn't make accusations.

Have I really been this out of line in bringing it to the attention of the tarot community?

Well, some people probably enjoyed the story, and need time to consider how they feel about it first. If they feel good about it, then it is probably a good story, and may in fact be a true story.

So trying to undercut the enjoyment of the story, even before the consideration of the level of good-feeling it induces as an indication of its truthiness sets in, is a very big faux-pas.

Ross

Teheuti

I'd tried to figure out how to get to the article directly from the amazon.com home page and couldn't do it. It wouldn't even come up through search. Perhaps the whole "So you'd like to know . . ." concept got dropped but they failed to eliminate the existing texts. I don't think we need to worry that many people will stumble across it.

Ross G Caldwell

Teheuti said:
I'd tried to figure out how to get to the article directly from the amazon.com home page and couldn't do it. It wouldn't even come up through search. Perhaps the whole "So you'd like to know . . ." concept got dropped but they failed to eliminate the existing texts. I don't think we need to worry that many people will stumble across it.

I certainly never did. I search a lot too. Seriously, I laughed so hard, I thought it had to be someone taking the pi ss out of all the possible theories, putting them together. But someone off-list pointed out the poster's biography, which showed that the text was probably a real opinion.

But like you I don't think it should raise any alarms. Most people, the vast majority, just want to read with - play with - the cards. They don't want to confuse themselves with theories about origins. So historians have to be careful what they are criticizing - belief in divination, or sheer historical nonsense that can be easily disproven (at least to the satisfaction of any minimally rational mind).

Ross

Debra

Oh God, Mary, the Fact is that Repressed Rage is Very Very Bad.

That's a Fact and Must be True.

Your Rage--Let it Out. Let it All Out.

We'll wait right here, rolling on the floor laughing our patooties off.

Feretian

Teheuti said:
I received a private email from someone saying that I'm behaving badly by presenting this (on another list) and "making facts God."
I don't understand...
That I'm showing a repressed rage
Well, I felt a bit rageful, too :p
that makes people very uncomfortable and that I shouldn't make accusations.
makes Ms. Wagner uncomfortable? Or us on the thread?

Oh, for heaven's sake.

No more than Kat writing about the amazon self-reviewing and megalomanic tarot creator Andre.

Here's the rating on Ms. Wagner's page:

Last updated: 7/30/05
Read: 268 times
Rated: 0 out of 9 helpful
...and since at least 8 of us are included in that number, it leaves only two hundred and sixty people who may or may not be seriously interested in Ms. Wagner's construct.

I would like to see the full text reproduced with annotations by our resident historians. Not to make fun (fingers crossed behind back) but to enlighten me as to how far off this text is.

It seems far-fetched.

I am no expert. Or even a student of the subject.