Pictures of men reading cards prior to 1960??

Teheuti

Does anyone know of any pictures - paintings, prints or photographs - of men reading cards (tarot or playing cards) prior to 1960?
I have a lot of images of women doing card readings at:
http://marygreer.wordpress.com/2008/04/01/origins-of-divination-with-playing-cards/
scroll through toward the end of the article (and there's several more similar 18th-19th c. pictures in other articles on my blog).

But I'd like to find some images of men. The earliest male image I currently have is a movie clip from Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors (1965).
http://marygreer.wordpress.com/2008/10/ ... atch-list/

Mary

Teheuti

Cerulean said:
pictured...I guess it would be more 'poker' and 'card games'...

http://www.onlinepokerblog.eu/tag/playing-cards/

Hope it helps.
Thanks, Cerulean, but I'm afraid it doesn't help at all. I know of lots of pictures depicting men playing card games. No, I'm looking for pictures that clearly show men reading the cards - some form of cartomancy.

Thanks for looking,

Mary

The crowned one

Untill you posted that I had always thought that Octavius's (Oakley) painting "Gypsy Fortune Teller" was male! I think I was wrong! The hat is masculine.

Figure 370 of the 1552 cosmographie universelle is worth a view. I have the image but will need to make it smaller, it may be online...

I used to have a whole collection of old photo's, post cards and images of male and female fortune tellers, including cards on one of my hard drives, unfortunately it was one of two I lost in a week about 4 months ago.

Attachments

• fortunecards.jpg
    fortunecards.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 337
  • cat reads.jpg
    cat reads.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 337
  • 1909 post card.jpg
    1909 post card.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 346

Teheuti

The crowned one said:
Untill you posted that I had always thought that Octavius's (Oakley) painting "Gypsy Fortune Teller" was male! I think I was wrong! The hat is masculine.

Figure 370 of the 1552 cosmographie universelle is worth a view. I have the image but will need to make it smaller, it may be online...

I used to have a whole collection of old photo's, post cards and images of male and female fortune tellers, including cards on one of my hard drives, unfortunately it was one of two I lost in a week about 4 months ago.
Thank you, thank you. I'd like to see the 1552 cosmographie (am not sure if I've seen it).

I had seen the first postcard but only the first line of the text, so I thought it was the woman speaking to the man as he "played" with the cards. Now it seems obvious that he is reading the immediate future of his immanent proposal.

I'm not sure about counting the cat.

The last postcard is new to me.

Can't someone salvage the data on your old hard drives? What a terrible loss.

Now - can we go back any further in time? Am eagerly awaiting the cosmographie universelle.

Mary

The crowned one

Teheuti said:
Can't someone salvage the data on your old hard drives? What a terrible loss.

Now - can we go back any further in time? Am eagerly awaiting the cosmographie universelle.

Mary

I have kept the drives. Between myself and my computer engineer older brother we just might. It also holds about 15 years of my daughters life :( ...the best 1000 or so shots of her are backed up tho :)

The cosmographie universelle image is a male fortune teller..nothing that resembles cards, it is just interesting as a image.

Attachments

• 1552 cosmographie universelle resize.png
    1552 cosmographie universelle resize.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 377

Bernice

Hi The crowned one,

What is he holding in his hand? Is it half-a-loaf of bread?

Bee :)

The crowned one

Sorry, I am not sure.

I collect early Münster leafs, generally 1544-(EDIT 92) (Muenster in the USA I think ) and found this on a search. I do not own this one, just have the image.

Teheuti

The crowned one said:
The cosmographie universelle image is a male fortune teller..nothing that resembles cards, it is just interesting as a image.
I have seen that one, but I'm afraid it doesn't count without the cards - for this particular purpose. Keep looking. There's got to be something prior to 1900 - I would think.

The crowned one

Teheuti said:
I have seen that one, but I'm afraid it doesn't count without the cards - for this particular purpose. Keep looking. There's got to be something prior to 1900 - I would think.

Most of my card stuff was from about 1910 to 1940's. But I am up to the challange! :D