Lovers vs 2 Cups

Haley

If you had a love relationship question which would you rather see in your spread, the Lovers or the 2 of cups?

I think of the Lovers as primal sexual attraction = sex and the 2 of Cups as the beginning of a serious commited relationship.

How do you see it?

BrightEye

I wouldn't see the Lovers as primal sexual attraction at all. That would be more the Devil for me.

In my experience, 2 of Cups is the more harmonious card of the two. Lovers tends to come up when there is some conflict, like when you have to decide whether to make a commitment or not. In my readings, Lovers has also meant a desire for partnership and commitment. It's not an easy stage in a relationship. Again, only speaking from my experience.

EmpressSha

For me the 2 of Cups is a lower echo of the Lovers. With the 2 of Cups I see an opportunity, a chance to connect. The 2 of Cups could be the moment you look into someone's eyes for the first time, or they invite you out on a date. There is a great spark or a moment of connection but it is a moment and doesn't last. To me the Lovers comes up for relationships which are already quite committed, it's like a bigger 2 of Cups moment. BUT for me both of those cards also come up when one is just thinking about relationships... they can come up to show a relationship on the rocks. They can also show huge arguments between lovers. So the surrounding cards are very important to work out what each of these cards is saying!

nisaba

If you had a love relationship question which would you rather see in your spread, the Lovers or the 2 of cups?
Depends on the question. I can think of several where I'd be happy to see completely different cards.

I think of the Lovers as primal sexual attraction = sex and the 2 of Cups as the beginning of a serious commited relationship.
Whereas I see it the other way around. I see the Two Cups as that tickle of hormones, early attraction that might be strong, but may-or-may-not go anywhere, while I see the Lovers as having reached a point beyond that, where we are at the moment of choice: do I really commit to this new relationship for the longer-term, or not.

foolMoon

I take 2 of cups as harmony and happiness in relationship as well.

I read The Lover card, as symbolism for choice between desirable objects or people, or love in fate (from RWS), and sometimes sex with other relevant cards around it such as Ace of Wands.

Cards which clearly signifies sex for me would be Ace of Wand or Ace of Cups with Court cards of Wands i.e. Queen, King, or Knight of Wands nearby followed by The Empress, Strength or The Devil cards.

werewolfmoon

I see the Two of Cups as a lot of things ie: platonic friendship between a man and woman, as something being offered and *possibly accepted* gentle, tender feelings of love in whatever form and friendship.

The Lovers is decisions to be made either about a lover or anything really.

If the two came up together then I'd say that there were decisions to be made about a relationship between a man and a woman on whatever level.

For red hot smexy time then I'd say the devil and The Tower, lol, I'll leave that to your imagination.

Citrin

My view...

The 2 of cups is that first spark, infatuation, between two people. While The Lovers is just something deeper, some refer to it as the "soul mate" card but I don't like that word lol. :p The Lovers shows true love that has nothing to do with "attraction" ya know, it goes beyond that pink fluff. To me the Lovers can also speak of very genuine and true friendship. While the cups is always about romantic feelings...

I only use RWS-based decks so that "choice" meaning has never made sense to me when it comes to The Lovers. I can def see if if I'd use Marseille-decks though.

QueenPen

Lovers is a base primal instinct, so to speak. Sexual chemistry and desire. Choice 2 Cups is a formed, loving relationship that holds synergistic emotions. Very zen. 2 cups is emotional, spiritual love between 2 people. Could be friendship or a married couple.

ravenest

That's curious - I see it the other way around.