Lovers vs 2 Cups

Richard

I like that Etteilla 2 of cups (it wouldnt be brewing up C11 H15 NO2 by any chance would it ? ).....
LOL! Memories....

Anyhow, emotion (water) and passion (fire) are obvious in this card. There could be hormones seething in that flask. Once I saw a pair of snakes which I assume were copulating. They were intertwined like the snakes on the caduceus (or the neck of the flask). I don't see how anyone could confuse this card with the Lovers.

While the 'siblings' Adam and Eve are indeed naked in the Waite trump 6, their life is instinctive and totally innocent, like the other animals. They are not naked just in preparation for sexual intercourse; they've never even heard of clothing. In any case, I don't see the Lovers as always necessarily pertaining to an interpersonal relationship, sexual or otherwise.

Of course, on AT everyone's interpretation is right, nothing is wrong. (Can you detect my verbal irony? }))

Thirteen

I have never heard THAT before ... put that way ... but I like it :)
:D
... just mentioning it but seeing ' spiritual impetus' being reflected in deep psychological drives and instincts (including those that are unconscious) is one of the things Crowley was on about.
This was actual one of the things that made me say it. I couldn't quote or remember where I read it, but I do have this memory of Crowley saying something similar. My main thought, however, had to do with the priests and priestesses in certain ancient religions who would have sex to mirror the celestial sex of the gods. In Egypt, I believe, royal wifes (the so-called wives of Amun) would, on occassion, have sex with the pharoah or go through a ritual of sex to mirror the creation of the universe. In doing so, they gained, for a brief while, the power of the gods. So, as above, so below.

ravenest

This 'spiritualisation of the instincts' process is best described IMO in two main aspects (in relation to Crowley's expression;

" Worship and neglect not, the physical body which is thy temporary connection with the outer and material world. Therefore let thy mental Equilibrium be above disturbance by material events; strengthen and control the animal passions, discipline the emotions and the reason, nourish the Higher Aspirations." - 10. Liber Librae

http://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/lib30.htm

and

http://www.energyenhancement.org/Thoth-Tarot-Lust.jpg

Thirteen

" Worship and neglect not, the physical body which is thy temporary connection with the outer and material world. Therefore let thy mental Equilibrium be above disturbance by material events; strengthen and control the animal passions, discipline the emotions and the reason, nourish the Higher Aspirations." - 10. Liber Librae
Oh, I like that! That's lovely, and so apt. Crowley may have sounded like someone's Scottish grandmother, but he certainly had a way with words :D

QueenPen

LOL! Memories....

Anyhow, emotion (water) and passion (fire) are obvious in this card. There could be hormones seething in that flask. Once I saw a pair of snakes which I assume were copulating. They were intertwined like the snakes on the caduceus (or the neck of the flask). I don't see how anyone could confuse this card with the Lovers.

While the 'siblings' Adam and Eve are indeed naked in the Waite trump 6, their life is instinctive and totally innocent, like the other animals. They are not naked just in preparation for sexual intercourse; they've never even heard of clothing. In any case, I don't see the Lovers as always necessarily pertaining to an interpersonal relationship, sexual or otherwise.

Of course, on AT everyone's interpretation is right, nothing is wrong. (Can you detect my verbal irony? }))

Why, I completely AGREE! ;) And, if you really knew the irony of this post! unfortunately, I can't tell you, due to confidentiality. Too funny!

To rebut, There are different dimensions, as well as, different perceptions on how another person might "manifest" the Lovers cards. One can't assume that both people reflective in the Lovers card are at the same spiritual level or understanding as the tarot reader or any one of us in this thread.

When you look at the big picture as a whole, one thing that is evident is that the Lovers card, as well as, the other cards of the deck is that it is not to be interpreted in one form, as just emotional on the physical plane or just the tangible. It's to be interpreted in ALL of its forms, in ALL of its dimensions at ALL levels of human understanding and perception. So, to summarize, keeping the context RELATED to the question as I have answered it, which is lovers and 2Cups in a love reading:

On the surface, physical plane of the lovers card, two people will experience and identify their emotions, etc as "sexual chemistry." Sexual chemistry is not a learned behavior. It is a basic instinct that is felt between two people, that can only be explained as "magnetism or chemistry." To me, viewed as a basic, primal instinct.It's inbreed in all humans, to have this "attraction" or "chemistry," like we know when we are thirsty or hungry. It prompts us to fulfill our basic survival needs, as humans., on the physical plane. I am not going to go into the physical manifestations in the body that produce those feelings we called "chemistry." This attraction or chemistry Does not indicate copulating like bunnies or having sex at all, but gives us the desire, to procreate, as God intended for us, as humans, to do.

On a higher level of being, (why it's a major) viewing the universe as a whole, lovers, the twins that play a part in each other's soul journey and universal karma, have cell memory that plays a part in this attraction to one another , from past lives spent together. It is typically, the unknown factor, between the two people. Why they feel so comfortable with one another. Why they have this "instant attraction" to each other. They are subconsciously communicating on a soul level. Discovering this connection to one another, learning the role in each other's life and life lessons, is part of each of their soul journeys. This is why the lovers is a major arcana. To fully grasp the fact that abstract is actually reality, two souls that create a whole, actually will become one (when they do have sex, as it is somewhat implied that this will happen, if the decision is made by them) by coming together to make a whole... Then to place those Lovers in the vast universe, in all it's different dimensional planes, in all it's different forms... It's a very complex, very difficult theology for me to comprehend.

Another point I want to make: In order to determine if it's energetic or hormonal, etc. again, is looking at the lovers card from the literal stand point on the physical plane. It could be measured through scientific tests, if we really wanted to determine this, through scientific trial studies and investing in chemistry labs. However, arguing about if it's "energetic" or "hormonal", we will find out that, we are all light beings, spiritual beings that are made up of energy. If we took those hormones in their basic form , as found in our bodies, transformed them into its smallest particles and ions, it would be turned into a form of energy. Everything in this earth is connected to the universe, all energetic bodies, in different dimensions, which might change the way we physically see or experience a though or idea in this physical plane.

When you limit your thoughts to one single idea, not open your mind to the infinite of what can be, you make comments such as "verbal irony" and make yourself look.., well, I will let you decide that. Everyone IS right. Tarot is subjective to each reader. Defending your point over another's point is pointless, b/c that's what makes the tarot so unique. As well as, form a whole. To you, the lovers card can mean business partners To another, sexual attraction and choice, without all the thought behind why you think this. However, as I have just proved, is dependent upon which level of understanding you are at, when you read a spread with Lovers in it, as well as what the querent will identify with, in regards, to their feelings. my interpretation was correct, as was thirteen, and everyone else in this thread. I didn't contradict myself, as much as I was misunderstood. Granted, I do need to work on explaining myself better, as I expect others to follow my train of thought, fill in the blanks, I assume you think just like me. if I don't fully explain myself, false assumptions will be made, and rightfully so, such as when I stated basic primal instinct then added it with the survival pyramid. I really threw everyone off. I hope I did explain it better this time around. I will be very willing to answer questions, if asked politely and with respect.

2 Cups is, based on the above concept, more structured and learned emotional behavior. It's the beginning of a relationship between two people. It could have the dynamic of the Lovers in the relationship, if Lovers would also be in the spread, or it might not. It's simply two people meeting and forming a relationship. There is more "socially known" emotional ties, b/c they are forming this relationship in this lifetime, in this physical plane; therefore, it has the appearance of being deeper than, the Lovers, per say, but in actuality, it is not.

Please note, my interpretation comes from my very own experience with these two cards, as both the reader and querent, my life events, as well as, my beliefs and knowledge gained from insight and listening to other medical professionals, as well as, theologists. I want to also point out that my interpretation is just one form, one dimension, one experience of the lovers and 2Cups. Each one of us, have our own version of the interpretation to make a complete, whole interpretation. So, again, we are all right. As love, unity, and healing is what we should be focusing on, to raise our vibrations, we are supposed to be on the same team. What has occurred on this thread, by a select few, has not been very nice or zen. Keep in mind that free will is at play, here. You have a choice to spread positive or negative energy when given a platform to help others.

I want to thank Thirteen for a great debate, which was thoroughly enjoyed and also, a great learning experience for me, in many ways. You were Extremely insightful and made me really think further. I have a better understanding of the Lovers card.

Haley, very good thread! Thank you!
Love in light!

ravenest

Oh, I like that! That's lovely, and so apt. Crowley may have sounded like someone's Scottish grandmother, but he certainly had a way with words :D

Partially his words, he adapted Liber Librae from the G.D. paper on The Powers of the Development of the Soul.

Richard

......When you limit your thoughts to one single idea, not open your mind to the infinite of what can be, you make comments such as "verbal irony" and make yourself look.., well, I will let you decide that. Everyone IS right. Tarot is subjective to each reader. Defending your point over another's point is pointless, b/c that's what makes the tarot so unique. As well as, form a whole. To you, the lovers card can mean business partners To another, sexual attraction and choice, without all the thought behind why you think this. However, as I have just proved, is dependent upon which level of understanding you are at, when you read a spread with Lovers in it, as well as what the querent will identify with, in regards, to their feelings. my interpretation was correct, as was thirteen, and everyone else in this thread......
I understand that divinatory tarot must be interpreted in the context of the querent's question. I cannot contribute to what experienced readers already know about that. I can only comment on the iconography and symbolism of certain decks and what seems to have been intended by the authors. My interest in tarot is mostly with regard to its history and role in the Western Esoteric Tradition. In fortune telling, any card can mean anything that the reader wants it to mean. I am neither a fortune teller nor a fan of tarot decks in general, and so when I invade this section of the forums, I am on foreign turf, and therefore when I fail to do as the 'Romans' do, I am automatically out of order. I was thinking I could contribute something to this discussion, but if not, it's really neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned. No problem here. Carry on....:)

ravenest

LOL! Memories....

I assume you mean the 'irony' that there are certain observable facts outside of one's personal interpretations?

Because I see your personal gnosis as based on certain objective relationships in different and varied fields, which indicate certain natural laws and 'energy fields' at work that support certain conclusions arrived at ( and here, images on tarot cards as well).
This is totally different from subjective opinions ... which of course, everyone has a right to.

That might explain the context of the irony ?

But getting towards 'examining the truth of the matter' in discussion , it is not debate, because debate doesnt lead to that.

As debate " While in theory debaters are not necessarily emotionally invested in their point of view, in practice debaters frequently display an emotional commitment that may cloud rational judgement. Debates are won through a combination of persuading the opponent; proving one's argument correct; or proving the opponent's argument incorrect." * - we dont do that here.

Rhetoric seems acceptable here; " a method or art of discourse that seeks to persuade, inform, or motivate an audience. Concepts, like "logos" or rational appeal, "pathos" or emotional appeal, and "ethos" or ethical appeal, are intentionally used by rhetoricians to persuade an audience." *

But dialectic is also used ( to get to the 'truth of the matter') , although some are not aware of its process ; " Dialectic (also dialectics and the dialectical method) is a method of argument for resolving disagreement that has been central to European and Indian philosophy since antiquity. The word dialectic originated in ancient Greece, and was made popular by Plato in the Socratic dialogues. The dialectical method is discourse between two or more people holding different points of view about a subject, who wish to establish the truth of the matter guided by reasoned arguments."

" Socrates favoured truth as the highest value, proposing that it could be discovered through reason and logic in discussion: ergo, dialectic. Socrates valued rationality (appealing to logic, not emotion) as the proper means for persuasion, the discovery of truth, and the determinant for one's actions. To Socrates, truth, not aretē, was the greater good, and each person should, above all else, seek truth to guide one's life. Therefore, Socrates opposed the Sophists and their teaching of rhetoric as art and as emotional oratory requiring neither logic nor proof." *

In the discussion, back and forth, it is a time honoured principle, to attempt to get to the 'truth of the matter' by examining each other's 'arguments' or positions, logical extensions, consistent reasoning etc.

Part of that, again involves; certain objective relationships in different and varied fields, which indicate certain natural laws and 'energy fields' at work that support certain conclusions arrived at ( and here, images on tarot cards as well).

Or maybe I misunderstood you ?

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialectic