Just received my Giant Rider-Waite...

rwcarter

It's always OK at Aeclectic to revive old threads. There is a printed in China version of the Rider Waite, but that came out in 2010 judging by the secondary copyright on the front of the cards. So I don't know what the March 5, 2012 date would refer to, unless it's a more recent China printing.

EdgarAllnPwn

I hope it's ok to revive this old thread... I decided to get a giant RWS deck & went looking on Amazon, where I was surprised to see a publication date of March 5, 2012. Does anybody know what the story is with that? Is this a new edition?

In any case, went to the US Games site & filled out their contact form asking about it. Main thing I want to avoid is the typeset font.

My GRW just came in the mail from amazon a few days and as far as I can tell the deck was printed in 2010.
Its my first real RWS so Im not sure if I have the ugly pixelated version mentioned earlier, but Im really enjoying the size of the individual cards none the less. It makes you spend a little more time with each card because of their awkward size.

Seven Pelicans

Does yours have the typeset titles or the handwritten ones?

Carla

Wow, I think I want one of these. :)

Emily

Wow, I think I want one of these. :)

It's pretty impressive seeing the deck spread out for a reading. Also even though they are so big nothing is lost, there is no blurring of images. They are as sharp as in the standard size decks.

Since I've been keeping my deck in a bag, they don't stick together as much, the laminate is still there but I do think it helps not jamming them into the box, they have space to move around in their bag.

I'd love to know if the new version does have the thick laminate - the fonts never bothered me because I knew I wasn't getting the handwritten ones with this version.

greatdane

So....how to tell?

I wanted a Giant RWS to do a card study, but want to make sure I get a decent one. From what I've read, that can be hard to tell if one can't believe what's on the box. I have a Uni Waite printed in Belgium and love the stock and everything about it, got it in a trade. I usually order from Amazon but if the ISBN doesn't help.......?

Bhavana

I wanted a Giant RWS to do a card study, but want to make sure I get a decent one. From what I've read, that can be hard to tell if one can't believe what's on the box. I have a Uni Waite printed in Belgium and love the stock and everything about it, got it in a trade. I usually order from Amazon but if the ISBN doesn't help.......?

your best bet is to look for a used or second hand one...ebay, Etsy, places like that - or even here, maybe post that you are looking for one. I agree that the newer card stock on these decks is very disappointing. I have all the newer RW decks - yet always use my oldest one from the early 70's. Nothing compares.

greatdane

Thanks bhavana!

Yes, I agree, used can be great. I actually snagged an Aquarian that is from the 70's, one before US Games took over, that was LIKE NEW and not that expensive. I shall look for a GIANT RWS that is older :).

vinLove

Sorry for digging out old thread. I have got 2 GRWS decks, and one is Printed in Italy and the other one is Belgium.

Another difference I notice is, that Printed in Italy deck has 6 extra cards (2x for meanings of each card, 2x for about PCS, 1x about the deck and 1x blank card)

The Belgium printed deck has just 1x extra card which says GIANT RIDER-WAITE DECK with castle graphics on the top.

Not sure if this Belgium printed deck originally had those extra cards, but lost them by previous owner(I bought it from someone), or never had them from the factory. Any one any ideas?

rwcarter

Sorry for digging out old thread. I have got 2 GRWS decks, and one is Printed in Italy and the other one is Belgium.

Another difference I notice is, that Printed in Italy deck has 6 extra cards (2x for meanings of each card, 2x for about PCS, 1x about the deck and 1x blank card)

The Belgium printed deck has just 1x extra card which says GIANT RIDER-WAITE DECK with castle graphics on the top.

Not sure if this Belgium printed deck originally had those extra cards, but lost them by previous owner(I bought it from someone), or never had them from the factory. Any one any ideas?

Digging out old threads is encouraged at Aeclectic, so no need to apologize. :)

I have 2 Belgium print Giant Rider-Waites. One is used and doesn't have any extra cards other than the title card. My other Belgium print deck is unused (but open) and has 3 blanks, 2 cards about PCS and 1 about the deck.

Rodney