Enchanted Map vs. Wisdom if the Oracle!?

Citrin

I'm feeling pretty drawn to these oracle decks lately, both by Collette Baron-Reid. But I'm wondering if anyone has both of them and can tell me a bit about the pros and cons? They're kind of similar so I don't feel like getting both, at least not for now.

I get the feeling the Enchanted Map might be a little bit more "cheesy" or soft/childish? While the Wisdom of the Oracle has that super creepy face lurking in the background of most cards? Lol sorry, I would've bought the deck in an instant had the face not been in the cards...

Any thoughts? :)

Padma

She has another one called Wisdom of the Realms, which is really quite good - and very attractive art. I much prefer it to the Enchanted Map! The Enchanted Map made me feel like she was just re-hashing everything she had done before, so she could profit more by it. So...I know tastes differ, but the Hidden Realms feels deeper, and a tad more original.

http://www.mindbodyspiritonline.co....-of-the-hidden-realms-oracle-cards-2447-p.asp

Not sure about the Oracle one, as I don't have it. By creepy face, do you mean the Green Man face in some of the images...? I never thought of him as creepy, myself - he represents a nature god, or a deity entwined with vegetation. He is one with the earth and nature around him. He has been around forever!

http://www.greenmanenigma.com/history.html

danieljuk

Enchanted Map has the most awful text (in it's tone) in the LWB with it, I strongly recommend ignoring the text in it. I also find some of the cards just weird in terms of a "map" to guide you through to your higher consciousness. That aside it does give good readings and some of the cards are excellent and very pretty.

Aivli

I hope this helps a little...

I'm feeling pretty drawn to these oracle decks lately, both by Collette Baron-Reid. But I'm wondering if anyone has both of them and can tell me a bit about the pros and cons? They're kind of similar so I don't feel like getting both, at least not for now.

I get the feeling the Enchanted Map might be a little bit more "cheesy" or soft/childish? While the Wisdom of the Oracle has that super creepy face lurking in the background of most cards? Lol sorry, I would've bought the deck in an instant had the face not been in the cards...

Any thoughts? :)

Hello Citron!

I have both of these decks. I am very partial/attached to them and, in fact, they are my "go to" oracle decks. I find them reliable and satisfying to turn to.

Both decks, physically, are high quality and the art work is done by Jenna DellaGrottaglia.

Neither deck is cloying or foolish. Despite their surreal and amusing images I find both decks to result in uncommonly accurate, relevant, objective, practical, coherent and balanced readings. I've never had a "fluffy-bunny-happy-happy-little-miss-sunshine-all-the-time-sugar-coated-popsicle-blandly-optimistic reading from either of them.

I've had the Enchanted Map Oracle the longest, and I don't find it cheesy at all.

That being said, initially there were a couple cards that I was turned off by because the image or title seemed too whimsical, cutesy, or lighthearted for the card's subject. Isn't there always a card or two in any deck that takes getting used to, or bit more effort to understand? ��

One card being titled "Heal the Ouch" which depicts a raccoon nurse giving aid to a ill or injured fox. Mainly, I just didn't like the title because it seemed childish, but the message is definitely not cheesy or childish. I just wish it had been titled something like "remedying" or "mending", etc. The other card was "Cleaning House" which depicts what I think of as a house-elf with brooms for legs. Initially, the image just kind of threw me off, but now I really like it. I like that this creature can't really avoid "cleaning house". Both cards have a straight forward message. The more I've studied these images the more they've grown on me. I find the rest of the deck gorgeous and compelling. The images are dreamike; soft but vivid and enchanting.

Besides the companion book included with the deck which provides the upright and reversed meanings, there is an additional book (The Map, sold separately) that really compliments the deck. I didn't find that every aspect of it pertained to me, but it was an extremely useful tool in exploring the depth and scope of each card meaning. The deck utilizes reversals to great effect.

The Wisdom of the Oracle I've only had for a couple months. I've never found the faces on (most, not all) the cards creepy or unnerving in anyway. They feel kind and calming. Sometimes, they are hardly noticeable. Initially, the colors in the deck seemed a bit too pastel or muted. However, the more I use it the more vivid it becomes. As with the first deck, the images are also amusing and surreal. There are no duplicated images from the other deck.

What I like is that each card has 5 areas/categories of meanings: Essential Meanings; The Oracle's Message; Relationship Message; Prosperity Message; and a Protection Message for when a reversed card comes up. I find this very helpful.

I hope you find this info helpful in making a decision. I like using both decks very much.

Citrin

She has another one called Wisdom of the Realms, which is really quite good - and very attractive art. I much prefer it to the Enchanted Map! The Enchanted Map made me feel like she was just re-hashing everything she had done before, so she could profit more by it. So...I know tastes differ, but the Hidden Realms feels deeper, and a tad more original.

http://www.mindbodyspiritonline.co....-of-the-hidden-realms-oracle-cards-2447-p.asp

Not sure about the Oracle one, as I don't have it. By creepy face, do you mean the Green Man face in some of the images...? I never thought of him as creepy, myself - he represents a nature god, or a deity entwined with vegetation. He is one with the earth and nature around him. He has been around forever!

http://www.greenmanenigma.com/history.html

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm really not drawn to photography decks though, so it's not my cup of tea I think. :)

No I mean this face: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a7/4d/f1/a74df1ecfc5f7644c040037d653f89b4.jpg Do you see it? Like almost "behind" the rainbow? LOL! It's quite hard to spot in some of the cards, but whenever I see it I kind of go "Ugh!" :p

Citrin

Enchanted Map has the most awful text (in it's tone) in the LWB with it, I strongly recommend ignoring the text in it. I also find some of the cards just weird in terms of a "map" to guide you through to your higher consciousness. That aside it does give good readings and some of the cards are excellent and very pretty.

Really?! How is it awful? I don't have any experience with Colette's decks. I'm not too stuck on LWB/guidebooks when it comes to oracle decks so I won't mind I think, I can just toss it. ;)

Citrin

Aivli:
Thank you for your thorough "reviews". :) The impression I get is that the Wisdom of the Oracle is more dreamy (light colors etc) and a little bit more hmm "mature" though it's also on the cute side, while the Enchanted Map has the cheese-factor like you explain with the racoon. That actually kind of turns me off... The images I've seen of the Wisdom of the Oracle don't seem quite as cutesy in that way. So I'm leaning towards the Wisdom of the Oracle and maybe I can ignore the oracle face LOL!

zannamarie

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm really not drawn to photography decks though, so it's not my cup of tea I think. :)
Wisdom of the Hidden Realms is illustrated by Jena DellaGrottaglia (who apparently also did the two decks you mention in your original post). While she may have used photos as the basis for some facets of some illustrations, it's not a photography deck. I only have this deck although I have seen the cards of Enchanted Map Oracle in person.

No I mean this face: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a7/4d/f1/a74df1ecfc5f7644c040037d653f89b4.jpg Do you see it? Like almost "behind" the rainbow? LOL! It's quite hard to spot in some of the cards, but whenever I see it I kind of go "Ugh!" :p
I do see it and I think it would bother me too. :laugh:

Citrin

Wisdom of the Hidden Realms is illustrated by Jena DellaGrottaglia (who apparently also did the two decks you mention in your original post). While she may have used photos as the basis for some facets of some illustrations, it's not a photography deck. I only have this deck although I have seen the cards of Enchanted Map Oracle in person.

I do see it and I think it would bother me too. :laugh:

Hmm I'm gonna check out some vids of the Wisdom of the Hidden Realms, the google images I found aren't too clear. :)

Haha I know, it's a freaky face!! And it turns up in more cards, in some it's really out there, while in others it's very hard to notice it...

Moonmaiden69

I am glad I came across this post. I am looking for my first Oracle deck. I am also undecided between the Enchanted Map and Wisdom of the Oracle. What I really like about the images from these two decks is that they appear pretty clear and straightforward as to what it is speaking about. I am drawn to both but I just want to get one deck to start with. I do like the backing more on the Enchanted and I like that the colours on the Enchanted are a little more vibrant. I love the images on the Wisdom deck as well and both seem to come with pretty good guidebooks. The guidebook on the Wisdom seems to give more options in regards to meanings and breaks them down into different categories. I would appreciate any feedback on what your opinions and experiences are with these decks. Thanks!