Rachel’s Serenity Prayer Spread (Divided Deck)

rachelcat

There was a thread on Serenity Prayer spreads a while back, and I thought I'd give it a try. After fiddling with it a while, I came up with something and had a good reading with it, so it looks like it's time to share. I'll post that reading here so you can see the spread in action!

Rachel’s Serenity Prayer Spread (Divided Deck)

God grant us
the serenity to accept the things we cannot change,
the courage to change the things we can, and
the wisdom to know the difference.

Divide your deck into majors, courts, and minors. Lay out three majors, three courts, and three minors as shown below in the order of the prayer.

---Majors-----Courts----Minors
1.Serenity---2.Accept--3.Thing I can’t change
4.Courage---5.Change--6.Thing I can change
7.Wisdom----8.Know----9.The difference

Read in this order:

3. What is something I can’t change?
2. How do I accept it?
1. A gift that will bring me serenity

6. What is something I can (or should) change?
5. How do I change it?
4. A gift that will bring me courage

9. What is a difference between the two things?
8. How do I know (recognize) it?
7. A gift that will bring me wisdom

A prettier version is attached.

Attachments

• Rachel’s Serenity Prayer Spread (Divided Deck)-c.pdf
    77.6 KB · Views: 341

rachelcat

Reading for me

Here's the sample reading. (It's a little telegraphic since I was reading for myself, but I think it gets the idea across.)

Rachel’s Serenity Prayer Spread Reading February 14, 2017

Something I can’t change: 7 Swords. I can’t change the manipulation and emotional abuse that has happened to me in the past.
How can I accept it? Page of Wands. Be a realist, unconventional and spontaneous. Know that I can’t change the past. It is what it is. But handle it in my own way. I’ll deal with it the way I deal with it in a way that works for me. Conventional counseling might not work for me.
Gift of serenity: Priestess. Although all religions may be metaphors and not more real than any other, there is a spiritual reality and truth. And it’s inside me. And everyone. Morality, spirituality, a higher way of living are all real. And they all transcend the accidents and trials of life. If you want to and try to live that way. That’s the important thing. Live as if higher things are real and possible in this life.

Something I should change: 7 Coins. How I feel about my body. I can love my body now and as it gets better, more attractive and more healthy. Even though I’m old and things hurt and my hair is thin, I can love the way I look and the way I feel because I am getting better.
How can I make that change? King of Coins. Be in charge of my health and body. If I make myself the best I can be then I know I’m loveable. My best is good enough. But really try to improve and know that I am the boss of my health. There are some things I can’t fix, but I can be better than I am now.
Gift of courage: Wheel. Change is possible. In fact, it’s inevitable! So it’s good to be king and make that change happen for yourself for the better. Again, I can’t change everything, but I’d be surprised how many things I can change for the better.

What’s the difference between things I can’t change and things I can? 6 Coins. Make that change, but not just for myself. Change myself for the better so I can share with and help others. Maybe I lived through a mild but persistent hell in order to be able to help others who are still in there or are just getting out. Yes, I want to be healthy and attractive and more for myself. But what’s the ultimate purpose of that? Can it be enough that I can show people it can be done? And maybe show them how I did it in case it helps them on their way? That’s a suitably humble but necessary life purpose, I’d say.
How do I know? Knight of Cups. Not sure know what, but let my feelings guide me. I’m not a Cancer sun for nothing. Emotions are a powerful force in my life, and I can use that to know what I’m supposed to be doing. I’m with Jiminy Cricket here: Always let your conscience be your guide.
Gift of wisdom: Death. I probably shouldn’t wait until my life is almost over to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. If there is a time, this is probably it. We don’t live forever, so live the way we want to live NOW. Including living for myself and for others. And it would be good if they were one and the same thing. Today is the first day of the rest of my life. Easy to say, not as easy to remember.

Attachments

• sp for rachel 2-14-17.jpg
    sp for rachel 2-14-17.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 345

rylla

It seems like a very good spread, thank you. I'll try. It's not an easy one to interpret (especially to interpret for others) but the Prayer itself is a complex one. As simple as it seems - just a few lines - it contain a wisdom for life. A wisdom that you learn and try to understand all your life and there are still more to learn. It's all you need for a lifetime (to apply the meaning of this prayer). Forget all the psychological books out there (without me wanting to diminish their merit), these few lines says it ALL. So I am always looking for tarot spread that are based on this prayer and this one seems a pretty good one.

Hope I'll see other spread like this too, and my secret wish is that Barleywine will come up with a complex spread (as he usually does) based on this prayer one day :) (I just love the spreads he designs)

BodhiSeed

What a wonderful, in-depth spread, Rachel. This is a tool that can be used to dig down below the symptoms and help not only with defining the problem, but discovering the solution. I appreciate your openness and honesty in sharing your own interpretation. I will definitely be sharing this with others and using it myself. I can see that it won't be a 'fly-by' reading, but one that will take some patience and courage to uncover the wisdom in it. Thank you for sharing this with us! :heart:

Bonny

WoW Rachel What a Beautiful concept for a reading!!!

The 7 of coins for your 'What you can change' and the king if cojbs there might suggest that you can commit to this part of you and your life in a long term kind of way. Not looking for quick results but keeping your aims in the context of the long term.

Peace.

Bx

rachelcat

Thanks, all, for the comments and ideas. Yes, the prayer really has some depth. And once you get it in your mind . . . It popped up today in a journaling exercise I was working on . . .

I hope the spread works for you!

Hemera

Added to the Index :thumbsup: Thank you Rachel.

rylla

I tried a reading and the spread worked really well. Thank you so much!