Decks with 3D effect red artwork

earthair

It might just be the way I see colour, or maybe my eyesight is squiffy...but there are some decks which appear to be in 3D to me-
Sola Busca
Illuminati (Justice, hanged man, 6 swords, emperor)
de la Rea (Ace wands, 5 wands)
Golden Dawn Temple (Emperor)

Especially the cards which have red objects outlined in black on a blue or green background!

Apparently it's due to this... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromostereopsis

But anyway I find myself drawn to decks like this like a moth to a flame :joke:

Who sees the red coming forward? Anyone here see the reverse of blue coming forward?

feynrir

It might just be the way I see colour, or maybe my eyesight is squiffy...but there are some decks which appear to be in 3D to me-
Sola Busca
Illuminati (Justice, hanged man, 6 swords, emperor)
de la Rea (Ace wands, 5 wands)
Golden Dawn Temple (Emperor)

Especially the cards which have red objects outlined in black on a blue or green background!

Apparently it's due to this... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromostereopsis

But anyway I find myself drawn to decks like this like a moth to a flame :joke:

Who sees the red coming forward? Anyone here see the reverse of blue coming forward?

I know EXACTLY the effect you are experiencing!! I get it just a little bit from the Illuminati deck, particularly with The Hanged Man and Justice. (Not The Emperor at all, sorry. And I had to look for the 6 of Swords--you're right, it has that effect on me too!)

Unfortunately though I experience this phenomenon with a greater contrast than these cards allow. A fierce teal/robin's egg blue with red on it drives my brain crazy! I've mainly encountered this combination in advertising and on a book cover or two. It seems to me like you experience it strongly with red on a bit duller color, like a cadet blue or grey.

Color does have an interesting effect on how immersive a card experience can be! I'm really glad you shared this, I've actually never looked into this phenomenon before and certainly didn't fully realize that other people experience it, too.

FLizarraga

Interesting! In the case of the Sola Busca, I experience this mostly with the larger online images, so when I got both the LoS edition and Seven Star's RWS-ed version I was a little disappointed. I couldn't understand why they looked so flat! :p

With the Illuminati, however, reading the cards is like looking at a pop-up book. I can't think firsthand of any other deck, besides Seven's Waterhouse oracle.

Tarot4Change

Wow! I had never heard of the Sola-Busca and once I looked it up, the images are so vivid and outstanding that I feel compelled to get it. While I may never actually read with the deck, the images really do stand out and give that pop-out effect. Thank you very much for sharing!

Luna's Crone

i'd swear Tarot of the moon garden is slightly 3d. Like the 9 of wands for instance.

Dee Ell

That's fascinating - I thought EVERYONE saw this phenomenon (though I didn't know there was a name for it I just thought it was a fact of vision).

I actually see the BLUE projecting forward, not the red 8)

Tanga

I have the red thing.

I find most of the Tarot Illuminati has a 3D feel.
And it's so rich I feel headache-y. Lol.
I'd never use it to read for a sitter. Tend to look at it a few cards at a time.