What cards would you recommend for new person

delinfrey

I definitely agree that the Sacred Rose is not the easiest deck for learning, but we should define "learning Tarot" as well then.

Do you wish to develop a personal system? Do you want to pursue mastery of a traditional system (say, RWS or Thoth)? Do you want to fortune tell? Read intuitively? Meditate?

I actually never even got to a LWB for the first couple of years. Now when I think about it, I got an old deck in an obscure language at a kiosk in the projects as a child which I read - must've been younger than 10 - and that didn't have text or booklet or anything, so I developed the first meanings purely on my own associations. The only one that remains with me is Lovers, I can't remember the others to die for.

I have a client who tried taroting herself, and she had an insanely methodical approach; she had a RWS (original, if I remember correctly), learned all the meanings by heart and then used them like a lexicon, without drawing to any cohesive conclusions. It was quite a scary approach for me, and it didn't make her happy at all. She also loathed the artwork of the RWS and was finally completely put off Tarot. I then explained to her during our sittings that it is NOT what Tarot is like at all. She finally picked up Shadowscapes and is trying learning again, although that first experience is quite a trauma.

The OP here has expressed that she is drawn to RWS, so I think it is only fair to recommend a few clones with different artwork as well, might she find something appealing - which would make "popping her Tarot cherry" much more pleasurable .

Falcor

Universal Tarot by Lo Scarabeo. I use it and in addition to it being very pleasent to eye it reads just perfect for me.

jema

Well, personally I was thrown in at the deep end with a TdM but for others I say just get anything that feels right and stick to it for a year.

Empath88

Thankyou all for taking time to reply to me, I basically feel like befor I lay any cards down I should research there meanings write some notes up or if they come with a book even better it will help me, I have recently started meditation I'm quiet good with my intuition at times I am really new to all this 2 years ago I was told I should get some cards but it's only recently I decided to go with this and start the development classes, this is because I had a bit of a tough time, when I do get my cards and feel happy with them is there a thread on here I can do practice on? Thankyou again for replying xx

JylliM

You can join the Newbies reading circle. Each month you have the opportunity to join in. You'll be assigned a partner, given a spread to use, and then you do a reading for each other. It's a good way to learn, as you get feedback on your reading.

Have fun choosing your deck :)

Empath88

I got the Druid craft tarot deck I felt so drawn to it

Luna's Crone

Morgan-greer. not so over whelming as the rws.

NatKat

<<snip snip>>...
I have a client who tried taroting herself, and she had an insanely methodical approach; she had a RWS (original, if I remember correctly), learned all the meanings by heart and then used them like a lexicon, without drawing to any cohesive conclusions. It was quite a scary approach for me, and it didn't make her happy at all....

Each to their own. I also started with a RWS deck and an Eden Grey book and memorized every meaning and every symbol by heart. But I understood this was building a foundation from which to construct my own "house of tarot cards" as it were. I don't think this early discipline of memorizing each card made me "stuck" at all. It helped me be more creative and intuitive b/c I felt very confident with all that memorization under my belt!

For beginner I recommend any nice RWS deck (I personally like Universal Waite) and also Thoth deck as a learning tool since it packs so much astrological data into each card. One other poster suggested Marchetti's Legacy of the Divine and I also think this is a great RWS-based deck which has delicious art work. A few places his symbols are "wrong" or non-seniscal ... but mostly the symbolism captures the essence of the cards quite well.

Viridian

I got the Druid craft tarot deck I felt so drawn to it

Good choice! I think this is a really long term "go to" deck for a lot of people including myself.

I started with a RWS deck. I liked the depth of very intentional symbolism and its complexity and connections to mystical traditions going back hundreds of years. That deck along with a Rachel Pollack reference book was a very tasty amount of food for thought to start with.

Darkmage

I recommend RWS as it's the standard one for the English-speaking world and most books you'll find are based on it.

If you find the original images harsh and off-putting, try Universal Waite. It's the RWS recoloured by Hanson-Roberts and it's really quite pretty.

Morgan-Greer is another good one. New Palladini and Aquarian, both done by the same guy, are also nice pleasant RWS clones.

Google the different decks and look at some of the images. You can choose which one you like the best. This method has saved me a lot of money because I'd see a deck I thought I'd like, then researched it, and realized the artwork was absolutely God-awful. Most of us have had that experience more than once.