Your Top 5 Home Remedies....

FaeryGodmother

So what are your Top 5 Home Remedies that actually work and that you use on a regular basis?

For me-
1- Red Wine Vinegar actually cures hair loss. Well at least it does/ did for me.

2- Sage really does clean and whiten teeth.

3- Thyme gargle actually does soothe a sore throat.

4- Chamomile tea really does help me get to sleep when I'm having trouble.

5- Garlic really does shorten the duration of a cold (and the length of time people want to hang around you :D)

Tansey Ella

i guess you put the red wine vinegar on your hair after washing it . do you get the smell out by just rinsing? I have started to have some thinning.

i use green apple spray and one day I discovered it stopped a migraine. try it.

FaeryGodmother

No, you saturate your hair with the vinegar starting with dry hair, wrap it up in a towel for as long as you can stand the smell or a couple of hours- whichever comes first- then wash with shampoo and condition as normal. Do this once a week till your hair stops falling out excessively. I noticed vast improvement after the second time i did it. I only loose as many hairs as is normal now- before the treatment I was pulling out rather large handfuls everytime I ran my hands through my hair.

How did you use the green apple spray?

thorhammer

I've just got the one.

Witch hazel liquid extract does wonders for all types of small abrasions and bruises. I even found out that it helps in a temporary way on minor spider veins. I use it as a toner to help the skin on my face heal from the everyday crap it goes through.

Go the Witch Hazel!

\m/ Kat

Tansey Ella

I was just spraying the green apple spray on like you do body spray, anywhere. I sprayed mine as close to my face as possible-- my shoulders or arms. of course avoid the face, as you should never use anything like that around your eyes or the tender skin or your face.

Milfoil

Butter, sugar & onion (I know, sounds awful) all mushed up together, enough of each to make one teaspoonful. Excellent to sooth coughs and sore throats.

Witchhazel - superb stuff, as thorhammer says, bruises and skin stuff its really helpful also if you soak two cotton wool pads and place onto tired eyes it reduces puffyness and irritation caused by hayfever. (plus, I just love the smell)

Anam Cara

If you get a build up of hair products in your hair
(conditioners, gel, spray, etc...) don't use a harsh
super-cleaning shampoo!

Instead, make a paste of baking soda and water in
a small plastic baggie, get your hair thoroughly wet,
then apply the baking soda paste. I do this in the shower,
leave the paste on for 2-3 minutes, as I attend to
other ablutions ;), then rinse out and shampoo and
condition as usual....your hair will be soooooo SOFT!!!

It's very mild and you can use it as often as once a
week, but I have dry hair and once a month works
well for me.

I've even got my hubby hooked on this stuff!!
:heart:cara

franniee

I steam clean my face with boiled. Then I rinse it with icey cold water.

I use witch hazel on my facial astringent.

I put homemade yogurt on my face as a mask.

Hot olive oil (be careful) in my hair and wrap it up.

Someone here told me to ground myself by splashing my face with water and sea salt... I do that now. :D

Garlic, zinc and Vitamin C will lessen a cold. Echinacea is good too. ;)

celticnoodle

Milfoil said:
Butter, sugar & onion (I know, sounds awful) all mushed up together, enough of each to make one teaspoonful. Excellent to sooth coughs and sore throats.
I remember my grandmother and mom doing this one!!! totally forgot till I read your post! all these posts have been great, I've learned quite a lot of new things here, and will be trying some of them. and, I'm going to add:

1. when you have an upset stomach or you are nausead, make a tea with jello. just 1/2 packet of jello in a coffee cup and add boil water-stir and sip at it. your nausea will disappear and it really helps with the upset stomach too! and the best part--it tastes GREAT!!!

2. Vitamin E tablets for dry skin. I take one a day, and it really helps. Plus, if you get a rough patch or have a scrape or small wound, take a pin and put a hole in the vitamin E tablet and rub it on the above, and it will help it to heal faster. Also good to put on baby's face, when they get to the point of drooling, and it dries out their skin around the face.

3. Acidophilus tablets are great if you're prone to yeast infections.

4. Lysine tablets help with cold sores as well as colds. However, if you cannot find Lysine tablets, take a Q-tip and dip it in a little bit of Listerine--then rub it on your cold sore. the cold sore will heal in no time!

5. dip your toothbrush into a bit of peroxide to help keep your teeth bright and clean--and brush it also on your tongue and inside of the mouth--helps to kill all the bad bacteria. You can dip it into the peroxide and then put the toothpaste on top if you wish and get all done at the same time.

6. oh, and another one re:vinegar for dear ol poochie or kitty-Vinegar also helps to repell fleas off your dog.Mix one part water, one part vinegar and spray on your dog. can also be used for kitty too. not sure how much they'll like you for this, but it will get rid of the itchy fleas!

7. Plus! if you have a dirt floor basement, (like we do & did in our old house) and want to get rid of both the mold and mildew smell and help to control the bug problem, mix one part vinegar and one part water and spray all around your dirt floor and walls. however, one part bleach and one part water also helps. a great tip for owners of very old houses with dirt floors. ;)

Milfoil

celticnoodle said:
5. dip your toothbrush into a bit of peroxide to help keep your teeth bright and clean--and brush it also on your tongue and inside of the mouth--helps to kill all the bad bacteria. You can dip it into the peroxide and then put the toothpaste on top if you wish and get all done at the same time.

Oooh . . . blonde teeth!

:laugh:

Sorry, couldn't resist.